Returned this weekend from a family holiday here, with my wife, daughter and in-laws. Welcome Family is a great park and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
The in-laws arrived an hour or so before us before even 12.00, and despite being well before check-in time were allowed to check-in for both of our caravans.
We booked 2x Moonlight caravans, so the cheapest accommodation. Our van (41) on first inspection was basic, not new, but clean. We did notice that there was some water on the floor of the shower room, but guessed that it may have been as a result of the cleaning and being in the van early so mopped it up with a cloth. Later on, on returning from the club in the evening we noticed that the carpet on one side of the double bedroom close to the bathroom was damp. As it was late we decided to leave it til the morning. The following morning we realised that the damp area was much larger, that there was again a puddle on the shower room floor, and that the carpet in the twin bedroom was saturated. I reported it to reception, and a maintenance man was round straight away. He set to work, though the wife was not happy with remaining as the weather wasn't brilliant so the carpets wouldn't dry quickly, and as well as having a 3 year old daughter I have asthma, the receptionist allocated us a larger 3 bed caravan (72) with flat screen tv, and a much more up to date feel inside. We were offered assistance to move across which we declined. Top marks for service!
Welcome Family is a pretty large site, situated between the railway line and the road through Dawlish Warren. Our van was close to the railway line and while you could hear the trains, it never once disturbed our sleep. The site was always clean and appeared well maintained. Wifi is free which is great, but occasionally can be a bit slow, or difficult to connect, though to me this probably isn't the highest priority!
Having spent the last couple of UK holidays at sites with naff swimming pools we really enjoyed the pool complex here. The changing rooms were clean and tidy, and the pools were of a decent temperature, thought the active pool was noticeably cooler than the others! Our little girl loved it in here, and it was a real highlight of the holiday.
The entertainment was a real highlight. The bluecoats were excellent with the kids, and our little girl loved doing the dances and the games. Highlight was the Joseph night, where she was one of the kids given a walk on part despite her age (though she was very tired by the end). We tended to come in early so she could dance and take part in the kids games, go to the JRC and we would turn in a little bit after that as she was tired. Drinks prices were pretty decent for a holiday park. We also ate in the park on our first night from the Welcome Bite, and found the prices and quality to be good.
Dawlish Warren is a lovely place for a family holiday, and close to many other places along the riviera. We found the local 'tourist shops' to be cheaper than in some other resorts, and Gerald's Supermarket across the road to be well priced. For a decent shop Sainsbury's is only 5 minutes drive away. The park seemed to be the nicest looking in the immediate vicinity.
Overall this is the first time I have been to this part of Devon and we really enjoyed it, and as the park was so good we would love to come back, though this time I fancy one of the lodges..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome Family Holiday Park in Dawlish Warren, Devon is a friendly, independent, family run park with a genuine customer focus, offering all you need to make your holiday in Devon a wonderful and memorable experience. Located just a few minutes level walk from a Blue Flag beach, and close to many tourist attractions makes Welcome the ideal location for a family holiday. On park there is range of holiday homes, caravans and lodges to suit all tastes and budgets; we really have something for everyone, including fabulous nightly entertainment from Easter to October, fantastic indoor swimming complex, free crazy golf and Wi-Fi; - Its no surprise that so many of our customers return every year. Welcome Family - Where the fun always shines! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Welcome Family Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welcome Family Holiday Park Hotel Dawlish
- Welcome Family Holiday Park Dawlish, Devon