“Dissapointed.”

Ranked #12 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Dawlish
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We turned up to this site with our campervan as a last minute break,first one this year,2 nights-7th-9th june.Had a look at pitches first then went to reception and said which pitch we wanted,all ok £40 in total with hook up.Young girl at reception was very helpfull,from birmingham since jan.this year,thankyou.
The location of this site is great for walks into Dawlish and the warren.We live in exeter and walked through this and many other sites last year,the whole area is nice and all at a good price.It's easy to see why people complain about the chalets as the windows are the old metal framed ones and very small inside,as for the statics if you go for the cheap bronze ones what do you expect?
This is what ruined it for us............The clubhouse is a bit dated but still ok for somewhere to take the family for a night out.The entertainment for the two nights was all done by the staff,saturday night was the best.We thought they put a lot of effort into the shows and the singing was exceptional from some of them,well done.Now the bad bit.........The drinks are a bit pricey but you expect that when your being entertained,what you don't expect is short changed.A pint of John smiths is £3.30,change from a fiver is £1.70.when he put the change in my hand he said,"one pound seventy"and walked off and went to this side of the bar very quickly.I still had my hand out showing what he had given me,one pound,one ten and one twenty.I was shouting to him and as i said he went off,so i told the other staff still holding out the change.I walked up to him shouting what he had done,by this time a lot of people were watching.He went back to the till and in his panicked state of being found out he gave me a fifty and a ten,no apology or anything.Know i have one pound ninety in my hand,he walks off and the other staff clearly seeing what he had done look and tell me not to worry and keep it.From talking to others that night this is not the first time that the tall,stubly chinned,tatood,dark haired male had done this.The following night mr sixty pence was collecting glasses and cleaning tables.Shame really when all the others are making such an effort to make your holiday a memorable experiance.
The wife and me didn't use the swimming pool or try the food but they looked ok to us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Golden Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. The Complex Manager has seen this review and has spoken to the member of staff concerned and apologies that this incident happened. I do hope you will visit again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We left after the second night even though we'd paid and booked for four.We went on good will to this fun,family holiday park with our little girl and experienced a sleepless night after a domestic fight in the chalet next door which included the living room window being smashed and the police being called.The couple remained in the chalet and it all started again an hour and a half later.We left at noon the following day as we felt our safety had become an issue.After seeking out the manager for an update on the situation the following noon we were advised the manager was on leave,the caretaker manager told us a refund for our further two nights was out of the question and we were told to write a letter.This was my third year at the park,as usual didn't expect high standards but do expect a duty of care from Park holidays,which has become progressively worse,after reading this company operates with a £10 million profit margin,confused as to why the standard of this park is so poor?

1 Thank SkinnyB1
I am sorry that you decided to leave early, As we explained, whilst we cannot be held responsible for the actions of other guests, they had left the Park before you came to see us and as you felt they may return you were offered alternative accommodation, however this was refused. I do apologise for the incident but feel we did all we could on this occasion

Travelers are raving about these Dawlish hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We go to Riviera Bay every March for our anniversary. We added Golden Sands on as a last minute £61 weekend, to go there on the way to Riviera Bay
I have NEVER had such an AWFUL experience at any camp.

On arrival the whole of reception was full of people who had already booked in and were already back to complain. Whether it was faulty heaters or the wrong number of beds-everyone was complaining. Not the best first impression. When I eventually made it to the front of the queue I gave my details across and was left standing for ten minutes. Apparently this was as they had changed us to a different chalet number at the last minute.

We drove round and round the park looking for our chalet. It was circled on our map but none of the chalet numbers matched up with the key numbers, we ended up asking a maintenance man for help and even he didnt seem 100% sure

We were in and out of our chalet in 60 seconds! The bathroom was cold and full of cobwebs, and resembled something a prisoner should be using, not a family with an 18 month old baby!

The last minute accommodation swap meant we had ended up with 1 bed in the second bedroom not bunk beds. So not sure why they give the option on the website if they don't give you your option on site.

Now we come to the MANY problems with the living area.
The front door lock was right at the top which meant if you were a short family you had no way of locking yourselves in at night etc. The door handle seemed strangely low-meaning our toddler could quite easily get out himself.

The chalet living area looked nothing like the bright clean pictures on the website and was no where near the same standard as a bronze chalet at Riviera

The carpet was disgusting and the sofa looked like it may crumble if you dared to sit on it.

There were uncovered pipes on the wall. We didn't realise these were on until baby grabbed them and started crying. There was no way of turning them down, yet the chalet was freezing! This is a danger and surely they should have been wrapped up to protect little fingers

My husband (still convinced we could sleep there) started putting our milk in the fridge while I took the bags in the bedroom. You can imagine my husbands utter shock and DISGUST when he asked our toddler to leave the cupboard alone-only to turn round and find him holding a handful of KNIVES! I am not even talking table knives I am talking real bladed knives!

In the minute we were in that chalet our son managed to burn himself and then could have seriously injured himself with knives! It is awful! Once my husband had seen that this had then been enough to make me cry he said we needed to leave.
If there are no drawers in the kitchen area, then surely the cutlery should be in a cutlery tray or jug, on the worktop, pushed to the back. Or at least the sharp knives be in a knife block. I cannot understand why anyone would put sharps in a low cupboard-no warning from reception, in our welcome pack or in the kitchen. If we had known they were there we could have moved them before our baby found them!
It was clear the room had not even been properly cleaned before we arrived. It worries me to know so many other people were complaining.

I tried to ring reception to say we wanted to move but reception was still full of other people complaining! So I rang Riviera and got myself swapped. I eventually managed to get to the front of the queue in reception to hand the keys back

The other site is an hour away so we went in the main complex to change out little boy before getting back in the car. The toilets were disgusting and smelled of raw sewage! We managed to change our son, but the ladies toilets hit you with such a smell when you opened the door that it was impossible to use them. If nothing else, if we had stayed on that site I would not have been able to have a shower or wee for the weekend as the bathroom in the chalet was also unusable!

I have tried to be very patient with the team as there was a period of time where I did not hear from them for over 6 weeks! I was trying not to write on here but have come to realise that this should not be happening to people and it is better to warn everyone than have it happen again. Perhaps if the team on site had been more helpful, and the people dealing with my complaint had been quicker then I wouldn't have written this but I feel I am being ignored.

Room Tip: Go to Riviera Bay instead!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank wiggy10
I do apologise for the issues you had whilst with us and understand this was dealt with prior to this review and a satisfactory outcome was resolved with our Holiday Sales Manager.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having read some awful reviews on here before we went .. (We stayed 7-10 th June) we went with some trepidation. How wrong were we ... Arrived at the park about 4, into reception couldn't fault the staff .. Made our way to our caravan which was silver.. Again couldn't fault it .. Clean and smelt lovely ..entertainment team and bar staff very friendly and really enjoyed the shows they put on ., every effort made by them. Didn't try the pools but having saw them they looked clean only thing is didn't look big enough ..that's the only thing I would say about the park. We have 2 12 yr old boys and have said we would like to go back again . We had one slight problem .. Our tin opener didn't work . Went to reception and by the time we had returned from our trip out a new can opener was waiting for us .

1 Thank Emmandrichard
Thank you for taking the time to send in such a great review. I am pleased to read that you want to return and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Bath
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Took the grandchildren away for a long weekend. Arrived on the 31st May went to reception were rather miserable staff informed us that our accomadation was not ready and come back at 3. So we all trundled off to the loos Well what a state they were, looked like some rough nightclub/public toilets. Doors were missing it was dirty and so in need of a re-furb Well first impressions count!!! So then we went to the pool. The small toddler pool was closed due to maintenance. The big pool was very nice and warm. The pool staff were very nice the only downside was that we weren't "allowed" to take pictures of our children!!Hubby decided that as he was on holiday he'd have a beer, so went to the bar not open, asked what time it opened was told 12 O'clock we'll that was gone 1 O'clock. Went to reception to pick up chalet keys (we had a gold chalet) Arrived at chalet was pleasantly supprised was quite nice (was a bit worried because the chalets we passed were not good) Not really big enough for 4 though, 1 small sofa not enough room for 4.

Went half board food was good only had to wait once for kids desserts. Plenty of choice.

The kids really enjoyed it there but I would not go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank glf62
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you found the Receptionist miserable. We did have to replace a door in the toilets and this has been done. I am pleased that you enjoyed the pool and unfortunately we can no longer allow people to take photos in the pool. I am sorry that you will not be returning.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Myself, fiancé and our 2 year old son stayed at Golden Sands for 7 nights from 1st June - 8th June. Upon arriving we were greeted very politely by reception staff. He accommodation which we originally booked was not ready for us so we were given a free upgrade which was a bonus for us!
The caravan which we were staying in was very clean and tidy and we were more than happy. We hadnt paid for the linen as we prefer to take our own but we got back later in the afternoon to find the cleaning staff had left us some linen outside the caravan which was very nice of them to do.
There was more than enough on site to keep you occupied in the day if you didn't feel like going far. There was the playground for kids which you could clearly see hasn't been there for long, indoor and outdoor pools which were clean and warm and lifeguards were friendly. There was plenty of activities for all the family in the clubhouse throughout the day and then the evening entertainment. The clubhouse wasn't as big as some parks I've visited but it was big enough with an amusement type area as you walk in for children. The entertainment staff were very friendly and the shows they put on we're very good and they were all hard working. They put on entertainment for all and there was something that everyone would like. During the bingo they also had activities on for the smaller children in the restaurant area to keep them occupied.
Overall Golden Sands is a fantastic place for value and close to everything, even though we drive I don't think we used the car as much as what we expected as everything is within walking distance.
Will defiantly be visiting again next year!

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks for this great review. Our entertainment team this year are getting lots of positive reviews which is a great boost to their morale. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Don't let the website pictures fool you. There are two parts to this park and believe me you only get to see the nice end on the photo's and typically this is where the private lodges are. The "real" end is off week lane and bang next to a scrap yard which opens for business around the crack of dawn! There's also a warehouse a few yards away which sounded like it was host to a band practising bad oasis covers til way on into the night. So you get on sleep, basically. The caravan itself was a decent size, but the decor was dated and there were issues with bits and pieces falling apart such as a leaky fridge and terrible fire hazard type toaster. The worst part of this experience was walking around the site and seeing the colditz style chalets. Could not believe they put people in there! If it were a run down council estate (which it looked like) it would've been demolished years ago. The general clientele was less than desirable. All England tops and bad language and that was just the kids. Overall, the place was a total dump and is now referred to as Shameless-by-the-sea. Never again! I

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Kirsty T
I am sorry you did not enjoy our Park. Our apartments are budget priced and many guests do book them and enjoy their holidays. Thank you for taking the time to review us
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Trecarn Hotel
Trecarn Hotel
#87 of 87 in Torquay
Lady's Mile Holiday Park

Been to Golden Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!