“Never Again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawlish
Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
“Never Again”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Recently stayed at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park and was left very angry and disappointed.

We arrived at 1.30 knowing checkin was at 4pm but the receptionist said the caravan should be ready soon so just keep checking back. 4.45pm our caravan was ready so not the best of starts. Just to note that reception was full of very angry people waiting for their caravans.

Now for the caravan.....No curtain on living room door, large patch of some sort of wallpaper peeling off wall in the twin room, no plugs, no grillpan, fridge made constant rattling sound, double bed had broken leg which kept collapsing. The worse thing was the table which when i pulled it out the top was'nt even fixed to the base and fell off nearly hitting my 3yr old daughter.

Someone came to look at what we had reported and he said he'd get maintanance to come asap and he fixed an old curtain to the string above the living room door as there was no curtain rail.
Anyway the maintainance guy came and replaced the table with one in even worse condition than the last one except it was screwed to the base. We still couldnt use it as the wood covering was peeling off round the edges and didnt think it was safe to have up while children were around.
The maintanance guy said he come back to finish sorting the other issues including putting up new curtain rail. This was Tues 22nd April..........we never saw him again aand none of the work was completed.
There has to be a level of Health and Safety and some sort of customer service as we only got a sorry and no offer of anything else, but this was appalling especially from a national company like this.
Its a good job that my daughter wasnt injured in this or indeed my son otherwise this would have gone alot further.
Myself and my Family will never stay with this park again nor will i recommend this park to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris P
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
I am very sorry to read your comments regarding your recent stay and that you were left disappointed.

I am shocked that the reported issues were not finished by maintenance and this is something I will be taking up with the staff. Our maintenance team do work exceptionally hard along with our Housekeeping to ensure all units are checked and ready for occupation by our guests and I am very sorry if this was not the case during your stay.

I am very sorry that you will not be staying with us again in order for you to experience the true holiday experience we offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I hate having to leave bad reviews, but on this occasion it is justified, sadly.

We arrived at Dawlish Warren two hours early and accept that the caravans were not ready for us due to the busy Easter period, so we retired to the bar to await its avail. We returned at 3:50pm and were kept waiting nearly half an hour for our caravans (we had two booked) to be confirmed as ready. The reception staff did keep checking for us, although I am not sure what they were checking for?

Anyway, we followed the directions given to arrive at two "bronze standard" caravans located next to each other. Outside the caravans was a tree which had been busy shedding it's branches over the winter period and these were strewn all over the "grass" area, under the caravan etc. making it look very tatty. Also, the "grass" areas were simply saturated mud with big holes that you drove through each time you entered or exited the parking space, making our car and the road filthy.

On arriving at the caravans, the doors were open and the cleaning lady was obviously still inside, although when she saw us, she grabbed her bag and vacuum cleaner and left. Obviously the caravans were not ready despite having to wait past the 4:00pm check in time and on entering it was clear that she had left before finishing the cleaning as the caravans were covered in dog hairs and the work surfaces were still grubby.

We had been provided with a complaints card to report things to reception which we duly completed. For our two caravans the following were reported:
• missing a toaster
• missing a table
• missing drinking glasses
• missing a TV remote

(the above were rectified promptly although the table supplied was very tatty and if you had it at home you would throw it away!)

• extreme muddiness to outside areas
• missing curtains
• hole in wall to shower enclosure
• broken extractor fan to bathroom
• dripping taps (so much so that they would start running through the night and fill the sink!)
• no airer for clothes/towels

None of these items were rectified throughout our stay. I had noticed some of the better quality caravans had gravel laid to the outside muddy areas, but it seems if you are in budget, they do not care?

The caravans themselves were really tatty with the cupboards being battered, curtains that wouldn't close properly, old tatty furniture, beds that squeaked with the slightest movement, a hole in the wall and a constant feeling of dampness.

The clubhouse food was tried one evening, but we wouldn't ever do that again. The chicken wings were cooked to oblivion, the chips were cold, the thai curry tasteless and salty and the tikka masala just horrible.

We didn't experience the entertainment other than for one bingo session the same evening we ate there. We found the clubhouse really noisy (due to screamy people, not just kids!)

The bar staff and entertainment staff all seemed really nice and were always polite, so no issues there.

The shop inside the entertainment venue, where children can exchange tickets won for prizes never seemed to be open; this was put down to staff shortages. The clubhouse itself was only open during meal times and late evenings during the midweek, which was a shame as we would have bought a drink and sat oustide had it been opened and my daughter would have enjoyed the entertainment machines also.

I wouldn't return to this site as, whilst I appreciate it suffered badly during the storms, there had been no attempt made to make the site pretty or tidy, our car needed a valet returning home as it was muddy inside and out, the budget caravans are in need of a complete replacement and the clubhouse food was atrocious.

I have stayed in many budget accommodations over the years including Butlins, Welcome village (next door to this site), Park Resorts, Haven etc. and have never experienced such dreadful accommodation or site untidiness.

Sorry Park Holidays, but never again! I didn't fill in the customer feedback form, as it threatened you with a free return holiday, and I couldn't risk that. I liken the site to a prisoner of war camp!

Room Tip: Higher class accommodation might be okay, but steer clear of budget, it's disgraceful!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank DeniseR8
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to read that your stay with us was not an enjoyable experience.

Although we did suffer badly as a result of the storms, every effort was made with regards to the park appearance, and although some of the units have gravelled areas this is where cars churn up the wet ground. Unfortunately, Dawlish Sands suffered quite badly with flooding when we had the extreme weather and as a result it is taking the ground a long time to recover, therefore cutting of the grass is not always possible.

We always state that there is parking for one car by each unit of accommodation and any additional cars can be parked in the car park, but this is not always adhered to by some guests and have caused us issues with the grounds on the park.

Your comments regarding the food are a shock to me as we have received nothing but good feedback with regards to the quality of the food, I can only apologise if it was not to your liking.

I am sorry that you will not be returning to Dawlish Sands as it really is a lovely park. We have made an effort to improve the appearance with the entrance being re-vamped and extra attention paid to flower planting for the start of the holiday season, I am only sorry that you did not agree.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Dawlish hotels

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Lets start with the good..... I have been stopping at dawlish sands on and off for over 15 years, this years entertainment team have been the best in years especially Jade she is brilliant very talented and friendly. The food service is also much improved however it needs to have a snack menu whichcomplaino be open till after the evening entertainment has finished.
The bad side..... we had a horrible first 3 nights the park has rammed due to a big group booking who kept us awake for 2 nights till the early hours they were that louf the secard my children on the 3 night we were again kept awake by fighting which ended up with the police being called. I did complain to reception they did apologise however they didn't care they made the following comment which really pissed me off " we understand some off our staff members have been kept awake too". Iam sorry but the staff members have not paid over £300 for an hoilday. I do feel we should have been given some kind of discount to book another hoilday with the site because they coursed the problem which has resulted in us not booking to come again next year which will be the first time we haven't in a number of years.
let me finish on a good note this years entertainment team are brilliant.....

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your frank comments regarding your stay at Dawlish Sands.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the entertainment and felt the food service had improved greatly. I am shocked to read your feedback regarding the Receptionist's comments as there are only a very small number of staff who live on park and they were dealing with the issues accordingly.

Unfortunately, we cannot be held responsible for other peoples behaviour and such behaviour will not be tolerated on the park. The issues with the large group was an isolated incident and such groups will not be booking on the park again.

Once again thank you for your comments regarding the entertainment and I will be sure to pass this onto the team.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at Dawlish sands holiday park. The caravans were spotless with enough cooking equipment to meet our families needs. The location o Dawlish sands holiday park was spectacular with only a short walk to the beach with lovely scenery. The site itself is small but efficient with both a outside and inside swimming pool and a park. The bar catered for all ages with attainment for the little ones aswell as arcade machines. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and the atmosphere around the campsite was very enjoyable and friendly. I recommend this campsite as It was one of the best ive stayed in around the country and I go every year! thanks for the delightful stay Dawlish sands see you in the near future!

Andrew

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
I am so pleased that you had a great time at Dawlish Sands and it's always nice that our loyal returning guests still have a fantastic time year after year.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Devonport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We have just returned from a week away with four adults with learning disabilities. We were all made to feel so welcome and all the staff went out of their way to meet our needs, especially Terry and the entertainment team and Sean behind the bar. Our electric went one morning due to the toaster blowing the circuit. The staff were very efficient and had the electric back on and a new toaster in no time. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend Dawlish Sands to everyone. Once again a huge Thankyou to Terry and the team and Sean. See you all next year

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Dawlish Sands, it is always such a joy to read positive reviews, and lovely that our staff have made such a good impression on you and your family.

I have passed your comments on to Terry and the Team and also Sean, and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We had booked a five day stay through The Sun newspaper promotion. We have done many of these holidays and know you get put in the cheap seats but this doesn't bother us as long as it's clean and tidy as we use it purely as a base. On arrival and easy check in we were pleased to see the caravan was clean and tidy. The tv was missing it's remote control and sadly this took two days to get rectified despite two visits to reception, one call and two calls to the warden. Loo seat was broken and this never got fixed despite reporting it. Curtains were missing, hanging off. Dirty pan left in oven. Old socks left under bed. Just a few attentions to detail would help these old caravans look a little less shabby. The stay was fine - a tidy pleasant park. We would return for another cheapy holiday. The main point I think management should get from this review is that if problems are reported to reception/warden they should be acted upon ASAP. This park has real potential to be great!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank spanner1976
Thank you for your review, and we have certainly taken your comments on board.

I am sorry to read that there were issues within your accommodation and although reported, that these were not rectified. This in itself is very disappointing and annoying, not only for you, but us as well.

Additional procedures will be put in place to ensure every action point is followed through and complete.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we hope you visit us again soon.
Gloucestershire
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We checked out a day early from our 4 day break at Dawlish Sands, as we couldn't bear it. The caravan was cleaner than expected. However, we had 4 forks and 4 pillows between 5 people. The caravan was absolutely freezing. There wasn't enough to do on site and the facilities are poor. The clubhouse was a massive disappointment. It was small and shabby. The entertainment was shocking and Jade one of the entertainers made us cringe! The place was full of 'Jeremy Kyle' style people. Glad to be home.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kelly P
It is good to read that you were impressed with the cleanliness of your accommodation, and I am sorry to read that you were missing items.

Had this been reported to Reception I'm sure they would have been delivered these straight away, although they should have already had been in the caravan when you arrived.

We do have heaters available for a £10 refundable deposit and this is mentioned in your welcome pack that you received when you checked in.

Although our facilities are of an older more traditional style every effort is made to ensure they are enjoyable areas for our guests. For example our swimming pool has had new changing rooms put in over the winter period, and we have refurbished the Restaurant area and installed a new kitchen.

Your comments regarding our Staff member is not only offensive but unnecessary. As a valued member of the Entertainments Team, who has worked for Park Holidays and many other operators during her career, Jade brings fun to our Entertainments package, and is very popular with many of our guests.

Entertainment is a very personal matter of taste and unfortunately we cannot please everyone.

I am very shocked by your comments regarding our guests and do not feel that a public forum is an appropriate place to air such personal opinions.

Once again I am sorry if Dawlish Sands did not suit you as a holiday destination. Thank you again for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Welcome Family Holiday Park
Landscove Holiday Park
Landscove Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Brixham

Been to Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!