“the caravan from hell”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawlish
Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
Reviewed October 13, 2013

stayed here on a couple of times and i would say the worst site and caravan i've stayed in complete dump mouldy dirty ripped seating filhy toilet no cooking pots you have to wade through a foot of water to get to caravan this site wants bulldozing and had to walk on pallets to get to the caravan as it was flooded our caravan was haunted and my dog would not stay in the caravan africa is better would definately not recommend to anyone

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John B
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a Tripadvisor Review. However Dawlish Sands did not experience any flooding in June. Are you sure you have reviewed the correct Holiday Park?

Reviewed October 9, 2013

When I read the reviews of this park after I booked I was a bit worried but the holiday was better than I anticipated! The customer services are very helpful, I originally booked a two bed bronze caravan at Golden Sands park which is also in Dawlish Warren, but a week before I had another family member want to come along and so needed three bedrooms. When we got in touch with the customer services they said they could not change the caravan at Golden Sands as there weren't any more available but we could instead have a 3 bed caravan at Dawlish Sands for no extra charge, as the caravan was being advertised for less than what I had already paid for the 2 bed caravan, and I was happy with this.

I was worried about what kind of condition the caravan would be in, we could not upgrade as we took our dog, however me and my husband were pleased with it, it was very clean and nice smelling, there were a few rips in the sofas but they were pretty clean, I was expecting a caravan that wasn't in a new condition. We paid for linen for just one double bed but they gave us linen for all the beds which was handy. I would recommend to take a couple of pillows as the ones provided were pretty thin.

The park itself was in a good location, only a ten minute walk to the beach. Onsite, the park shop could do with a revamp, my husband commented it was like a war ration shop! A lot of empty shelves.
We had breakfast in the restaurant one morning, and were a bit disappointed, the cooked breakfast was quite small, and we were given a plate of bread to make toast ourselves, where my husband set off the fire alarm! The restaurant was really like an add-on to the main clubhouse, where we ended up down there most nights. The clubhouse had a nice little bar and had a good atmosphere. The entertainment was good considering it was only the first week in october and not peak season, the staff I thought did a good job, however one of the shows was repeated, the motown night was done on the tuesday and then again on the saturday. All in all the week at Dawlish sands was very good and I would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bella-ruby12

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay at Dawlish Sands.

As we are nearly the end of the season we are reducing our lines of stock in the shop, although there are a couple of supermarkets in close vicinity to the park.

We are looking to refurbish the Restaurant area this winter to improve our guests experience.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope you will visit the park again in the near future.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I booked our first ever Sun break and ended up at Dawlish Sands. After booking I then took a look at the reviews and promptly upgraded our bronze accommodation to silver. Our break was looming and worried still I further upgraded to gold accommodation the day before leaving. Now if we had gold - I would hate to see what the bronze would have been like. On checking in I was told that we didn't have linen booked - although when I upgraded I was told linen would be included due to upgrading. They tried to charge me but I stood my ground (do the same). On arrival of our Caravan #42 the first thing I noticed was the filthy dirty windows with Sticky hand and mouth prints everywhere. Then when inside things didn't get much better. The blind in the kitchen had smeared red stains (i presume tomato sauce) The blind in the bathroom was moldy. There was black mold on the curtains in the bed room and the window didn't shut properly in the master bed room. There was also different stains of what I don't no all over the place. I reported my finds to reception who said this would be sorted in the morning. We never heard anything again and nothing was rectified. We only stayed two of our three nights as the bed was so uncomfortable and the noise from the other guests meant we couldn't get a decent nights sleep. As the caravan was bad we thought we would just go with the flow and spend more time in the club. We didn't feel comfortable as it reminded me of a working mens club. Its dingy and smelly and the amusements were from the 1990's at best. I didn't spend a lot of time so cant comment any further. Upon up-grading we were unfortunately sold the flexi dine (half board) which was a massive mistake! The restaurant has the same look and decor of a transport cafe and is in desperate need of modernization. Its certainly not somewhere you would choose to eat out every night of your holiday. After spending £85 for flexi dine for me and my family I had no choice. On the last nigh I added up my meal costs and found that doing flexi dine saved me £3. Its not a good offer! There are more issues I could raise but I think I have made my point - look at my photos and when doing so remind yourself that this was gold accommodation..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank maxster2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Dawlish Sands.

I am sorry to read that the accommodation and facilities did not meet your expectations.

All our units should be cleaned and checked prior to our guests arrival, I can only apologise that this was not the case during your stay.

We hope to be undertaking a refurbishment programme of the Restaurant during the winter months to help improve our guests experience when using the facility.

I am sorry that you felt the half board option was not value for money.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Well where do i begin.....on arrival we were presented with a caravan that all i can say must have been a dogs kennel in a previous life, it smelt of dogs, dogs hairs covered the carpets, disgusting stains all over the sofas, we had to get the duvets from the bedrooms to cover the sofas so we could sit down! We decided to telephone the onduty warden 'Steve' (as by now it was10pm) to make our complaint about the conditions that we were expected to stay in, after 5 minutes 'Steve' arrived and agreed that it was in a unsatisfactory condition and would give us alternative caravan staight away. Our new accomodation was an improvement at first glance in the dark, though in the light of day there were several improvements that could be made re cleanliness. The next morning we were requested to attend the reception to explain why we were moved, and were presented with a complimentory meal voucher for the club house which we thought was fair gesture for our inconvenience the previous night.
On our final night at 'Dawlish Sands' we thought we would use these vouchers for our evening meal.....what mistake! For starters we ordered Prawn cocktail, when it arrived it was obvious that it had been over processed on defrost in the microwave, prawns were like rubber, sauce undescribable.....and to top it of we were presented with a burger bun and frozen butter on a side plate, next arrived our Sirloin steaks (the waitress would of found this an easier task to serve had she made the effort to clear the starters from the table first) The Steak & chips were cold, the peas looked like they were left overs from the lunchtime sitting, onions rings had been cremated in the deep fat fryer and the Diane sauce was a unpourable mass stuck in the bottom of a jug which could only be removed and spread with a knife if desired.....the main course was unedible.... they couldn't even give it away!

3  Thank Lesley B
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped.

Although our bronze caravans are of an older and more traditional style of accommodation, many guests find them adequate as a holiday base.

We do however make an effort to ensure that they are clean and checked prior to our holiday guests arrival. I am sorry that you feel the accommodation and food did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

We appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests and are constantly working to improve service levels on the park so thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

we stayed at this park in a platium caravan number 18 it was spotless and clean the only problem we had was that the shower hose was split but on phoning the reception the next morning it was replaced within five minutes of reporting it.we never used the pool but did use the toilets in the pool area which were dirty and need a revamp,the park is kept very clean,staff friendly in reception.never went in the club as only myself and my partner and the entertainment starts far to late park holidays need to look into this. over all our accomadation excellent and would recommend platium caravan number 18 to anyone who wants good clean accomadation.

Room Tip: platium caravans lovely accomadation
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on to the park in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Where do i start !!! We have been on numerous sun breaks so have some experience of what to expect or so we thought. Never again at this site
On late arrival we were allocated our caravan 172, on entering it smelt strongly of damp, fire put on to warm through. Further inspection proved the van to be dirty with animal hairs still clearly visible on the very stained carpet, cob webs plus spiders in abundance, mainly to the ceilings but also on doors and cupboards. The windows were dirty both inside and out, over all a generally old dirty van which i attempted to clean at 9pm.
We were woken the next morning by a motor/generator noise, we presumed noisy grass cutter, this noise continued all day sat and sun. On further inspection the noise came from behind a large fence that was clearly some type of working.scrap yard. The noise was a large tractor. Between this noise and the noise of the train which ran approx every 10/15 mins a fast express main line. The children wanted to use the swimming pool which on arriving at was shut due to staffing issues, We decided to leave at lunch time on sunday. Although Devon is lovely avoid this site totally

Room Tip: Pick a different location
1  Thank 816Deb

I am very sorry to read that you were unhappy with the cleanliness in your accommodation.

I am confident that had this been reported every effort would be made to resolve the problems or alternative accommodation may have been available to your complete satisfaction.

I apologise for the noise experienced during your stay, the land behind the back of the park is separate from us. I am not aware of noise issues prior to your stay, however, I will be investigating this further to ensure other guests are not troubled by this in the future.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently stayed in a 3 bed Gold Plus caravan, it was quite an older van and had a musty smell when you first walked in. All cupboards and surfaces felt very sticky and we had to re-wash up before we could use any of the plates (some were still wet when we took them out of the cupboard). Window didnt shut properly in lounge area and also had trim missing. Blind in the bathroom was awful and covered in mould as was part of the shower which looked like it hadnt seen a good clean in months. Some of the bed linen had holes in it but were hidden from view underneath the pillows, but at least the bedding was very clean and white. Not what I would expect from a Gold Plus caravan!. The pool itself was nice and warm but the surrounding glass looked dirty and the changing rooms (if you can call them that) 4 very small cubicles in a very small mixed changing area. This area was not clean and the toilets were in a mess covered in 'water'? and soggy toilet roll all over the floor and in the hand basins. I cleaned this myself with one of the rubber broom things which I found so that my grandaughter would use the toilet!. On the up side, the staff there were all brilliant and very pleasant and as helpful as they could be. They need to upgrade the caravans and the facilities on this site and it has put me off trying their other sites.

1  Thank Happyhols62

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I am sorry if you felt the facilities and accommodation did not meet your expectations.

We will be looking at upgrading the facilities and some of the accommodation over the winter, so I hope you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Langstone Cliff Hotel
#6 of 12 in Dawlish
Landscove Holiday Park
Landscove Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Brixham

Been to Dawlish Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!