“Ideal”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ideal”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My 8 year old daughter has very little riding experience, and Shilstone were very professional, took care over hat and boot fitting, and were friendly and competent. She loved it! It looked good for more experienced riders too.

1 Thank Alan M

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Gorgeous horses, friendly ride-leaders, amazing scenery”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've been hacking on Dartmoor with Shilstone Rocks twice now - once in October and once in April. Both times I have loved my experience there and have really felt safe and had a lot of fun. The ride leaders know exactly what they're doing and are friendly and knowledgeable of the area. They take into account riders' abilities and confidence, which was important on my second time when I was grouped with beginners (I was originally by myself on a separate ride, but due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to go alone with a ride leader). Being a bit more experienced, I wanted to go for a canter as I had done the first time, and so two ride leaders were put with us so that we could split off and I could trot and canter and the novice riders didn't feel under any obligation to try (as has happened at other places I've ridden in the past). I rode Allegre, who is brilliant and very well-loved by the staff! All the horses and ponies I've seen are incredibly well-behaved, and the staff take the time to match rider and horse so that if you are more nervous you will definitely be put with a horse who is calm and confident. If you're a bit more used to horses and have been riding longer, you might even get to ride Allegre! Whoever, you end up riding, the staff will make sure you know the horse's name and his/her personality before you set off. Fabulous experience!

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Two hour hack on moors- HEAVEN!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We are driving through the UK for our Easter holidays and my daughters and I decided to do a 2 hour hack at Shilstone Rocks. The yard is clean and organized and the staff very friendly. We were assessed on our ability, riding helmets inspected to make sure they were up to standard- all good safety signs. We were then allocated horses and they were perfectly matched. Being a nervous rider I was on Silvertone who took care of me the entire time. We hacked through the moors, did some cantering and trotting- it was exhilarating. Our guide was Ruth, who by chance we had met at another yard and she was wonderful. Highly recommend and would use again!!

1 Thank LottieHV
Harpenden, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great riding experience”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

If you want to ride from a yard that is well run, with a tack room that a general major would be proud of, with horses suited to your experience and escorts that are friendly and informative but professional, then Shilstone Rocks Stables is the place for a great riding experience.
Being an experienced rider on holiday during term time, I was lucky enough to book 2 one hour hacks with Cath as my escort. On both occasions my lovely ride was Allegro who was tacked and ready for me on arrival. After the obligatory paperwork which is a sign of a professional set up and my own hat being checked that it was up to the current British Standard we set off onto the moor. Cath was very friendly and we got on really well. She pointed out various landmarks and offered lots of local information as well as regularly checking that I was happy with everything. She was a real credit to her employer and great fun to ride with.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Shilstone Rocks Stables.

Visited March 2014
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun 2 hour horse ride”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Went for a 2 hour horse ride with my partner on February 1st, and were lucky enough to catch some sunshine whilst riding! Before and after the ride, the sky was dark and rain was pouring down, however as we got on our horses the weather cleared up and stayed dry until we dismounted.
The riding was a fun experience with great views along the way, and we spotted two herds of wild ponies which was a big plus!

As we were in Dartmoor, and it was the 1st day of February, it was extremely cold during our 2 hour ride, not completely unbearable, but it did make me regret not bringing gloves along (definite must if its cold).

We trotted up the path and then into fields and eventually up and down hills, taking in the views and enjoying the time on our horses. Ruth, our guide, was very friendly and offered up a lot of information about the horses at the stables and their personalities.

Definitely recommend this activity, either as a couple or in a group, and would do it again!

Visited February 2014