“amazing place”

Prince Hall Hotel Devon Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2012

well the drive down to the hotel is quite a drive through tree lined road. once there it is so worth he journey,we stopped for coffee the first time we came across the hotel and then on our next break we stayed there. Once inside its very homly rooms overlooking the moor are so good. the food was wonderful and all stsaff very helpfull

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is the second time I've been to Prince Hall and again I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was there with my girlfriend to celebrate our engagement. The service you receive once you get there is excellent. They whisk you into the lounge for a pre dinner drink and canapes and you can relax in front of the fire in big comfy armchairs.

Now the food. I'm afraid the amuse bouche was pretty odd. It was a perfectly cooked prawn on top of some tasteless, unseasoned cous cous. I then had the duck breast starter which was lovely and then the turbot which was equally excellent, although a v small portion. My girlfriend's dishes were also excellent. Then the pudding. I had some sort of toasted or burnt custard (I think it was called) with chocolate ice cream. I must say this was poor. The custard tasted of nothing and the chocolate ice cream overpowered everything. It looked dull and tasted the same. Surely they could have done more with it to make it look apetising?

I think the pricing is very toppy. Yes you are in a lovely location and I suppose those staying there are trapped as there's nowhere else to go. But at £40 a head excluding service and coffee, it's michelin prices and when 1 of the 3 courses wasn't up to scratch, it does burn a little.

I will go back but perhaps not in a hurry.

2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed with my new husband the night after we married in the Shepherds Hut at Prince Hall Hotel. What a lovely and unique experience it was!

We also ate in the restaurant and having been very fortunate to eat in some of the best restaurants in the UK, I can honestly say the food was on a similar level. Fresh, tasty, amazing service and overall a fantastic dining experience.

I would highly recommend Prince Hall and the Shepherds Hut to anyone looking for a special, high quality and unique experience.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Ordered three coffees and one pot of tea at a cost of £14. No biscuits.
Rip off Devon.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

We ate at the restaurant both nights of our stay at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the prices are like (we were on a D,B&B deal), but the food was lovely, with a well thought out menu.

1  Thank Jippy