“Excellant - Thank You”
Review of East Dart Hotel

East Dart Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Postbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

4th time up in as many months, Stayed here previously when old management had pub - adequete. Now superb. Welcome brillient and staff and owners so friendly and welcoming. Rooms very clean and well laid out, all on suite. Food exceptional, recommed the steak with saute potatoes and blue cheese sauce, never tasted anything better and my husband is a bit of a chef!
Lovely to have old fashioned blankets and cover, blankets so very soft and you can have as much or as little as you want, if have duvet you would cook!
Have stayed in many other hotels and cannot find one to better this, so good that I am taking my whole family up to stay in September, 3 generations from 9ys to 83yrs,
If you want luxury and want to pay £70.00 per night stay elsewhere, if you want a good clean and functional room with superb food and a friendly athosphere stay here.
Again I say that the food here is to die for and the breakfast is the best I've had at any hotel.
Paul & Rosie are trying hard to improve this property as it over 150yrs old, and it will take time to get it up certain peoples standards but you could not find better rooms and a more friendy attitude at any other establishment in Dartmoor.
We love it at the East Dart and it the most friendliest place we have stayed in. I suffer from a form of Agrefobia and I'm not good with going outside my house as I have panic attacks but have been so very welcomed by Rosie, Paul, Sue and Alan that I have been able to stay down in the bar on my own without the backup of my husband,
If you are like me you coul;d not find a better place to stay

Regards Helen

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank walkingdoodle02
There are newer reviews for East Dart Hotel

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This review applies only to the pub-style restaurant - not the hotel.

My wife and I visited for a pub lunch after an excellent guided walk at the nearby National Park Centre.

The pub was almost empty (peak holiday season). Yet it took 10 minutes to get served with drinks. There appeared to be no staff. The man who eventually deigned to serve me was surly and unwelcoming. We then waited - the same individual having said that he would come and take our food order - at least 20 minutes. The same individual (who knew where we were seated) ignored us completely, even when I eventually lost patience and went into the bar to pay for our drinks and leave.

He allowed us to pay up and walk out without eating, without the slightest enquiry into our dissatisfaction. We will not darken their door again (we are local)!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Motormania
RosieJPostbridge, Owner at East Dart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

I can only apologise if you felt that you were being ignored. I can assure you that we pride ourselves on our excellent service and have since won a Hospitality of the Year Award. The surly gentleman in question is no longer with us and I guarantee that when you return you will be greeted pleasantly and served more promptly than last time. I hope you give us the chance to show you.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The room was above the bar but it didn't disturb us. It would have been useful to have somewhere to hang our wet bath towels, the towel rail was too small, only big enough to hold the hand towels. The breakfast was delicous, all local produce and well cooked. We also had dinner, a local steak which was also delicious and very tender. It came with well cooked chips and lovely mushrooms. The only thing missing was onions, but that is personal preference - I love onions with steak. The hotel is in a lovely setting although unfortunately we didn't have a view of the moor from our room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie5515
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have just spent a weekend at the East Dart Hotel while attending a wedding 4 miles away at Two Bridges. Having read some of the poor reviews I was a little concerned but I need not have worried ! Rosie and Paul (the resident owners) are friendly, welcomng and they do everything they can to ensure your time at East Dart is enjoyable. Our room (room 9) was a double room, overlooking the rear garden. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of hanging space etc. Everything was spotlessly clean. The food was also excellent - the breakfasts were large and delicious - most of the "Full English" is locally sourced and has some of the most delicious sausages I have ever tasted. The evening meals we ate in the bar were also without exception excellent- Local steaks , home made pies etc, all obviously freshly cooked and wonderful . all washed down with a pint or two of the local beers (the "Jail Ale" became a real favourite!) ... So why only 4 stars? Well, the building dates from 1862 and some of the plumbing and electrics reflects this - the toilet and shower were obviously fairly new but neither worked that well - the toilet did not flush very efficiently and the shower was lacking on power. We were warned that the hot water may take a long time to run hot - on the 2nd day it did in fact take 6 minutes but it got there in the end!.. As for electrics there was only one power point in the room and to use it (even to plug the kettle in) you had to move the chest of drawers. Paul and Rosie have great plans for the East Dart and I'm sure these little niggles are all well in hand and really should not put you off staying there. All in all we had a lovely weekend and look forward to going back before too long

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter but all rooms seem to be good standard.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in July as a base from which to tour the moors for photography. It was in an ideal location and I was only let down by the poor weather. The staff were very friendly and helpful and attentive when serving meals, but without being intrusive. Breakfasts were superb, with emphasis on local produce, making the perfect start to a day's trekking. Evening bar meals were also good and quite traditional, but with a limited wine selection, although a good choice of real ales compensated adequately. Room was clean and tidy and the only reason for not awarding 5 stars is the rather tired paintwork and decor in some areas. I would stay again if visiting the area and have recommended to friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2012

One of our favourite drives anytime of year is over the moors. Persoanlly I prefer it when its cold and frosty. We usually go the 2 Bridges for early morning cuppa with two cookies. Then drive up to Postsbridge and we might get out for a walk over the bridge and then onto Chagford for a walk and lunch. We have done this for years and we always drive straight past the East Dart Hotel without giving any thought to stopping there.However my wife bought a wowcher coupon for a lunch there so we booked in for last friday.

The first thing we said when entering this lovely hotel and warm cosy bar/restaurant area was "why havent we stopped her before?" The owners were genuinely friendly and welcoming, the food was excellent, home cokked, plentiful and tasty and reaonably priced too. Thye had a good selection of local ales...or are they called 'craft beers' now ...who cares so long as they taste good? But as I was driving I couldn't partake. But we decided we would book in for a night soon, have a good morrland walk and then settle down in the greatcosy bar for a feew beers in the night. The owner even gave us a loyalty card each....buy 5 meals and get the 6th free....how good is that.
Apparently they have a very good carvery on a Sunday at a reasonable price which includes a home made pudding after!

If the sun is shining they have a good beer garden to sit in.

We won't drive past this place in future thats for sure.Just gutted we have only just 'discovered' this place after so many years.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 54BJC
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a great stay. Breakfast and evening meals are excellent. Rosie, Paul and the rest of the staff are friendly and helpful nothing is too much trouble. We would visit again. Hope for better weather next time. Very dog friendly. dogs allowed in the bar but not in the breakfast room. Another plus point for East Dart, they don't charge for dogs

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Postbridge
Two Bridges Hotel
#1 of 2 in Chagford
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Moretonhampstead

Been to East Dart Hotel? Share your experiences!