“If you love good food this is the place”
Review of Harris Arms - CLOSED

Harris Arms
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We found the Harris Arms in The Good Pub Guide since then every time we are in the area we eat here. The food is outstanding as is the wine, if it's a nice day outside, the sunny terrace is a joy.
Do not expect 'pile it high' but if good food is your thing give it a try. David Bath

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was really looking forward to visiting this place as it had a bit of a gastropub reputation and I'd heard the food was great. Whilst I sort of agree, the food wasn't bad, the choice was a bit uninspired and unmatched in my opinion. Some of the menu appeared to be your typical hearty portioned pub grub, whilst some of it was a bit minimalist cordon bleu, but the prices were all the latter. The wine list was vast but they didn't appear to actually have all that was on it or know it too well. The place was distinctly lacking in atmosphere and whilst the staff were friendly enough, I don't feel it's appropriate to lean across the bar and take your order whilst you're all seated at the table. And the fact that on a Friday night there was only one other table eating and no other patrons in the bar, speaks volumes. So good food but a bit overpriced for run of the mill pub grub, which is what most of the menu really was.

1  Thank Finnemore
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The food was ok, but the service was awful, so slow and it seemed to be that they were very inexperienced in running a pub, we waited forever for each course and they were way out of their depth in serving a larger group and do take out a mortagage before you go here, as it will cost you an arm and a leg.

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Harris Arms some years ago and can't understand why we hadn't been back until now. The food is exceptional, the atmosphere warm and welcoming. We ordered Goats Cheese Soufflé and Spiced Tomato Soup for starters. Both well presented and beautifully cooked. Our main course was 24hr Roast Pork with vegetables and roast potatoes. The pork was perfectly cooked, soft, moist and very tasty and accompanied by perfect crackling and cider gravy.

As we were leaving I commented to the land lady that the pork was excellent. She promptly went and got the Chef, Andy, who explained and wrote down in detail how it was cooked. A really nice touch and very much appreciated.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had an absolutely amazing dinner and evening at The Harris Arms on Saturday just gone. I went for the fish dish with lemon mash and vegetables and my partner went for the steak, her first words were "this is the best steak I have ever had" so naturally I had to try a bit, it was brilliant.

Thanks Andy and Ro for your commitment to real food!