“Disappointing ambiance”

Ranked #23 of 57 Restaurants in Okehampton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had booked well in advance for an evening meal, but on arrival were "poked" into a remote dining area, which was very dark and dismal. When asked about a move to a better area, we were told that all other tables were reserved for "residents". However, we could move a table light onto the table if this would help! Food was acceptable, but not particularly memorable. On departure, it was clear that the better tables had been occupied by "drop-ins". Not a place we will return to. Better to drive a little further and get a warmer reception.

There are newer reviews for Castle Inn

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The receptionist was not unfriendly and we were welcome with our dogs either in the pub or in the garden behind it. Since the pub itself was quite dark, we decided to have lunch in the garden. There was vast space for our dogs to make themselfes comfortable.

The decision to have no drinks at first earned us a frown and raising eye brows. The requirement to pay upfront did not create a feeling we were trustworthy guests either. The garden was lovely, however, the tables and chairs had seen better days.
The food was of ordinary quality, tasteless rice, excellent chips, mediocre meat quality and a standard Massala sauce. After the meal delivery we did not see the waitress again.

Had it not been for our friendly, outgoing table neighbours, it would have been a visit we would have quickly forgotten.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very friendly staff made us very welcome and provide us with coffee and soft drinks. In the heart in Lyford next door to the castle there. Did not try the food due to time being short.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I took a Minibus of 15 to the Castle for a couple of drinks on Sunday 25th August 2013 at approx 13.15,
I know it was a bank holiday in August, but I am afraid the service and welcoming was very poor! I know they were busy, it was clear there was not enough people serving and the wait became very uncomfortable, I run "Dartmoor days" for my family and freinds visiting lots of venues, but I will not include the Castle at Lydford on my future stops!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was our second visit to The Castle and we were very disappointed. The first time the food was great. This time it was terrible. Three of us in the party of four ordered the slow cooked shin of beef. It came out as a tangled mess of gristle around the marrow bone, not the melting delicious meat around the bone that we had anticipated. We had waited a long time as they had a large party in that night, (we knew about that in advance and it wasn't a problem), but we were very hungry after walking on the moor all day, so decided to just eat as much as we could and hope it improved. Sadly it did not, it was really tough. The veg were overcooked and I would say they had spent too long in the microwave! The fish pie was small and undercooked, with much potato and hardly any fish filling. It is a shame as it is a lovely old pub, full of character, and the locals and staff were very friendly. Maybe it was just a bad night? I would give it another try but on this occasion it just wasn't up to the standard of other pubs in the area.