“Large group event”
Review of The Malt Scoop Inn

The Malt Scoop Inn
Ranked #21 of 57 Restaurants in Okehampton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a newly refurbished and re opened traditional country inn in the heart of Devon offering top quality homemade food using locally sourced ingredients. A comprehensive range of drinks including real ales and good wines are available.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I organised a dinner for 25 Colleagues and was attracted by the varied menu and reasonable prices. The land-lady could not have been more helpful- an up-to-date menu was provided and the entire scope of their repertoir opened to us. We issued the orders in advance and extra staff were brought in to accomodate us all.
We found a warm and comfortable location with friendly staff who were efficient. The food already prepared for us in advance. There was a good turnover and the drink flowed well. There was confusion over some orders, likely due to fading memory of orders. The restaurant were helpful in offering to cook more but we were still charged for errors.
The entire group agreed that it was a good evening and while the company makes the event the environment completes it- and The Malt Scoop Inn delivered a lovely evening of good food and comfortable surroundings exactly as requested.

1  Thank carrick a
There are newer reviews for The Malt Scoop Inn

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stumbled across this place whilst simply passing through and booked a table for bank holiday Monday. The food was great, all cooked freshly. The staff and locals were extremely friendly and the bonus was it was bingo night!! Would highly recommend this pub if you are after great food surrounded by local charm.

1  Thank emmah12
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Deciding last minute to go out to lunch on Father's Day was probably a big mistake but we managed to book a table in the "snug" in this rather lovely pub. I'm guessing it has recently been renovated and what a great job they've done although the loo, which entailed going outside on what was a rather wet day could do with an update or at least some hot water!
As a non-meat eater I find the "traditional Sunday Lunch" which inevitably usurps the normal menu disappointing and I have to say the latter looked good. Call me picky but I do like to have something that I wouldn't normally cook at home and the veggie choice today was macaroni cheese or vegetable chilli, both regulars in my house. I opted for the macaroni cheese, it was tasty but a bit ordinary. The roasts looked better than most (not that I'm a great judge) and everything was served with a selection of veg including swede, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes and a mixture of cabbage, mange tout and carrots. I had a banana sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was lovely and I could have devoured one twice the size!
Service was friendly and efficient and I would definitely go again although perhaps not on a Sunday.

1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Really impressed by the food in this pub. I had a main meal of cod and prawn cassoulet and it was delicious!

1  Thank Melbel82
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We live 4 miles from the Malt Scoop and have struggled to find real quality pub food in the Torrington/Okehampton/Winkleigh area. This place is by far the best we've been to and as far as I'm concerned its as good as it gets. Really quality roasts with fresh local veg - no microwaves or boiled bags in sight. Food cooked and presented very well with large portions of everything and fairly affordable - My roast was 8.95. Its also a nice pub for a pint and they're very friendly.

All in all its a real find: easy to get to, doesn't seem to get too busy, has plenty of parking and its now top of our lazy Sunday dining list. Don't tell everyone!

1  Thank Jeffers_de_Maio