“fantastic walk”
Review of The Granite Way

The Granite Way
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Okehampton
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Used to live near here walked it every day with dogs, great views,
interesting whatever the weather.
Cyclists can creep up on you wish they would ring their bells (most don't have one)

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"fairly level"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Loved the views and the surface (hate sand). Well maintained with plenty of stopping off places (Try the Highwayman at Sourton)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

A superb track for cycling for all ages. I am fortunate to live very close by and often cycle on the Granite way. It is safe and it is possible to hire bikes if you wish. We hired a tandem from the Sourton bike hire place and had great fun. The track takes you along by the railway line to Meldon and the views are marvellous. There is access to several pubs along the way to get refreshments if desired.

1  Thank Theblondespider
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having been up on the moors the day before mountain biking, I decided to do a quick and easy 11 miles from Okehampton to Bridestowe, just to spin the legs for a while.

After a coupe of hours watching friends nephew playing rugby; I put the bike together and made the trip from Okehampton to Bridestowe.

The climb from centre of town up to the railway station took me 10 minutes and once onto the Granite Way things became much easier.

Some absolutely wonderful scenery looking up into the moors. Good to see the track being used by young families.

Good tarmac surface and well sign-posted for the dam etc. For me the sight of the quarry railway area was amazing; i'm no train spotter but I do appreciate history, even recent history. The old trains and the quarry had me in situ for 5 minutes.

I ride The Ridgeway (Wiltshire - Avebury to M4) once a week; the ridgeway is very rugged in comparison to this national cycle track. As previously mentioned, tarmac and good signing made it all very easy for me. Wonderful to have most of the bridges names as well as ponds named,,, Ben's Pool and Woodworkers Bridge just made it even nicer to be on this track.

I stopped off at Devon Cycle Hire for some water and got on my way again after my 10 minute water break. Over the big via ducts and took a left to go down and under the viaduct to head for Bridestowe.

On leaving the viaduct, I did note there were "road" signs saying not to continue - for what reason I don't know , nor do I know how long the signs had been there for, or how long they would remain there for.... it was a lovely sunny day and for once I was clean and dry at the end of my ride...until I came off and under the viaduct to ride down towards the crossroads for Bridestowe. You ride alongside a little stream to your right, the surface was decent, but very wet track, over an angular bridge and then down to a pub on the main road.

I know it's not part of the Granite Way, but the road from the pub down into Bridestowe had me laughing - it was called Pigs Leg Lane..... it just brought a smile to me.

Overall, the G. Way is a very easy and relatively flat National Cycle Network (N47) track; very well kept and maintained - well done.

The ride from bottom of hill (central Okehampton) to Bridestowe village took me just over 1 hour on my XC hard-tailed mountain bike - stopped on two occasions for 15 minutes total and slowed down numerous times when approaching other users of the Granite Way... so a very easy track to ride on and as mentioned before, relatively flat.

2  Thank donnie1965