“another great night away” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bovey Castle

Bovey Castle
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“another great night away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

returned with my husband for a night away after a great time the week before with my daughter.
well it was brilliant used the spa this time would recommend really friendly and good service.
Great afternoon walk around your lovely grounds followed by a swim and yes you guess it afternoon tea. Coming next week for afternoon tea for my birthday and Max who"s service was second to none has promised to sing happy birthday to me .
The castle room was lovely with fantasic views and very relaxing.
I have and will continue to recommend you to my customers and hopefully get another night away before the summer season starts with our holiday makers.
So thanks to all your team for another great night away
Lisa

• Visited January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Edwardian Grill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Lovely dining experience, food exquisite, service fab, ambience subtle tasteful and appropriate.
Cheese board not as plentiful as previous visits, but still recommended.

Visited January 2014
Carrickfergus
“Disappointing visit and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I had flew in for afternoon tea with my partner which should have been at two thirty but the hotel postponed to four as hey had a function, which was no drama. We arrived and were shown to the Bistro as thats the only place they could serve afternoon tea because of a function we had been pre warned, which we didn't have an issue with. Upon arrival the staff had our name on the list and were expecting us but the bistro had two other couples and no tables set up, not even one for us who were on there booking list.
We were shown to a corner and as I turned to confirm with the first waiter to serve us which table he wanted us to sit at,he had already turned and was walking away. So we sat at a table waiting to be served whilst a waitress started to move furniture around beside us. A while later our order was taken by a different waiter and we told him we had booked a Red Letter day champagne afternoon tea. He then disappeared and returned 10 minutes later and asked " have you the voucher?" No please or thank you.
Our champagne and afternoon arrived and looked and tasted good, no complaints there. So after a not to good start we thought we would tuck in and enjoy this nice food, just as we started a waitress returned and proceeded to stand at one end of the adjacent 10 seater table and spray cleaner from one end to the other filling the air with the spray and around us and our food!
Then what appeared to be a manageress and a few others proceed to move furniture and tables out through a fire exit for the next 15 minutes.
I know this may sound petty things, but.. When you pay for 5 star establishments you expect at least them to try and give you 5 star.
We could not complain about the food but the attitude, service and goings on around us was like a roadside cafe.
It was a lovely setting and gorgeous building just a pity we didn't get to experience it or receive the due courtesy from the staff that a so called 5 star establishment should be providing.
To sum up we just felt a total inconvenience to them on that day.
Later that day we received a call stating that they thought we had not enjoyed our stay as much as perhaps we should have and the PA stated the managed would be in contact before the end of the week.
After emailing and calling them without any return correspondence, I feel honest feedback is appropriate for others to know.
If you know someone was not given good service do not insult them by doing it twice.

Visited December 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked a special champagne tea for my partner during the festive season and was considering booking a weekend at the Castle. However our experience of not only the customer service on arrival but also afterwards (which is certainly not 5 star) has certainly changed our minds. The staff were unprepared, the table not laid and we were unceremoniously stuck in a corner where they proceeded to move furniture all around us during our tea. I mentioned to a member of staff my disappointment regarding the initial welcome, unfortunately it did not improve! We saw at least 3 different staff, none of whom seemed to know what they were doing and left the premises feeling very dissatisfied. On arrival home, to our astonishment there was a voice message from the Castle stating that they thought our visit may have not been to expected standard and the General Manager would like to hear our feedback. I rang the next morning and left my e-mail details with them and they promised the GM would contact me by the of the week. The end of week came and went, I contacted them again by phone and left messages and also e-mailed but to no avail. Needless to say we will not be returning and will not recommend.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Slough, United Kingdom
“Excellent ! 11 out of 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful experience staying at bovey castle
We had a two day break 2-4 January the weather was wet so we couldn't play golf but managed to go for lovely walks and take in the scenery
We were met by courteous staff and had a wonderful room overlooking the valley . Warm and cosy
Federico was there to meet us and was happy helpful and full of enthusiasm
We finally met Jeremy rata " the boss" who welcomed us and made us laugh and made sue we were having a good time ( beware of his camera !!)
We had two meals In the Edwardian restaurant
Staff service food excellent. The service was exceptional the staff gave us tips on the food cheese and wine and were friendly and professional
Martin showed off his birds .. The owl being his clear favourite in the falconry display
We have had two fantastic family birthdays and will return for more
Well done to all the team !

• Visited January 2014