“Amazing experience”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Really enjoyed every minute of my stay, it was quite a 5 star experience. The valet parking when you arrive just sets the tone for the whole experience. All the staff are so polite and welcoming. I stayed for two nights. I had a wonderful afternoon tea in the Lounges and a 3 course dinner in the Edwardian Grill restaurant. The food was amazing and Federico the Resort Manager even treated me to complimentary glass of champagne. The breakfast buffet was also fantastic: huge amounts of choice and all very tasty! My room was huge and very comfortable. The turn down service was a nice surprise and I even got a little bit of fudge to nibble. Everything was top notch from the Elemis miniatures in the bathroom to the handmade cookies in the tea box. The grounds are great for walking around and the pool was big enough to swim a few lengths in. I would definitely stay again due to the quality of the service and the luxurious surroundings, which were comfortable without being too stuffy.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jacka30
There are newer reviews for Bovey Castle Hotel

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I stay here every year and really love it. The rooms are clean and tidy and stocked with Elemis products which are topped up daily. The grounds are stunning and the staff are friendly and professional. We did have a teeny mishap with our booking for dinner one time and were left waiting a while and then told it was to let us enjoy a drink at the bar which we weren't fussed about. The cocktails are lovely but not lovely enough for the price they charge in my opinion. The same applies for the afternoon tea. Great good food but not great value. Service charge is added which niggles me wherever I go as I like to tip accordingly. That said, I do love the castle and am happy to visit each year on my birthday (or there abouts).

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Just returned from a fabulous weekend at Bovey Castle. Stunning situation with elegant interior. We enjoyed lovely food from both restaurants and impeccable service from Federico Aresti, the hotel manager and his staff. Lots to do, but we enjoyed walking on Dartmoor, playing golf and the swimming pool.

I & G

Room Tip: Our Castle room was comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeorginaC28
Reviewed August 2, 2014

A beautiful main house with a lovely scent of burning wood. This is our second visit as the attitude towards kids is great and the setting and hotel is the perfect venue for a tradional hunting lodge winter getaway or summer weekend. An impressive location that could give so much more. You are paying 5 star rates but not receiving the 5 star treatment.
Stayed in one of the lodges again that are modern but are beginning to get tired. All the light coloured carpets were stained and the sofas looked very used. Additionally the service is abit hit and miss. Reception gave a great welcome but room service was sloppy and slow (waited 1 hour for some cheese and wine). Additionally, ordered 4 drinks from the bar and they only had enough spirits for 2 - rubbish.
Lego menu for kids great but incomplete used kits.
This place just needs some investment and good organisation. I get the feeling it's abit all over the place in relation to staff and ownership.
WARNING: if you have young children and are staying in a lodge, ask for stair gates and make sure you block the gap in the centre floor chimney breast with something substantial (we had flimsy birdcage) as it is a big drop !! (Lodge is over 3 levels).

Room Tip: WARNING: if you have young children and are staying in a lodge, ask for stair gates and make sure yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Boardie73
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed at Bovey Castle to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It is more expensive yes but for a special occasion it's well worth it. As soon as you walk in you are hit with that lovely open fire smell and the staff make you feel very welcome. Service is great. We had a superior castle room which was lovely and a good size. The swimming pool is a really good size for doing lengths and there is also a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Lovely and relaxing. We dined in the bistro which was excellent and breakfast in the morning was one of the best I have ever had.
I ha dead some of the reviews on trip advisor after booking and started to worry about some of the negative comments but I didn't see why people were moaning to be honest! I thought this was a truly fabulous place and would love to go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frostybird
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I just stayed at Bovey Castle with my son for 2 nights on 4/24th to 4/26th . Our stay was amazing . What made it so exceptional was the attention from the staff that was received each day . Our Hotel manager Federico Aresti went out of his way to make sure we felt special and welcome at the Castle . There was constant stimulation with planned activites daily from Archery , Clay Pigeon shooting, and Apple cider making. We golfed, played tennis on grass courts and enjoyed Crolf (croquet ) . When quiet time was needed there were many areas for solitude that could be found . We were also able to plan activities(quad biking ) away from the Castle and Norm often chauffered us to wherever we wanted to go . His pleasant nature and knowledge of the area made each ride enjoyable. I would highly recommend this destination to everyone !

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Richard R
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I recently stayed at Bovey Castle with my family for a weekend break. Federico, the Hotel Manager and his staff are really helpful, friendly and professional. The food in both restaurants was extremely good. The only complaint was that we were put in a room that was totally overlooked by the patio and had to have the curtains drawn all time, which made the room extremely hot, we mentioned it to Frederico and we were moved to an attic room. I don't think the rooms are anything special, just a standard comfortable room in a beautiful hotel in a great location. Would definitely return but I would check on my room next time!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay
Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!