“Relaxation & tranquility”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Relaxation & tranquility”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I were looking for the perfect relaxing break with our friends, somewhere to explore the beautiful open spaces and surrounding countryside, we stayed in one of the beautiful lodges
plenty of space inside, excellent standard of décor and well appointed throughout. We met Fed (the manager) he was excellent ,very attentive and so pleasant he took a genuine interest in our stay ensuring everything was perfect. The house and grounds are outstanding with lovely walks by lakes and golf course, a winding road weaves through the estate to the hotel which looks like it should have been the film set for something like Downton Abbey! a friendly greeting from staff and all those every day worries just fall away to into total tranquility.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank David W
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
A great review. Thank you so much. The Lodges really are amazing and I am delighted that you agree.

The wonderful Fed doesn't confine himself to the Hotel either, he is as keen on our Lodge guests getting the bogey experience as everyone else! Once again the Downton reference is there for all to see, you would be amazed how many people say it!

Thank you once again for posting this fantastic review. It is genuinely appreciated.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Polish first
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

stayed for one night for my birthday with my sister.very impressive drive to the castle,greeted by friendly staff who parked car and took care of our cases.couldnt fault reception staff,we were also given a tour.lots of different rooms with cosy chairs and sofas and open fires.we were booked in for afternoon tea,,it was lovely,a real treat,.weather was kind so we took a walk around the grounds,well worth it.at 3pm we were shown to our room,room 2,wow!!all those small touches made it more special.and the room was so central to everything,also quiet.we went for a swim,everything but your costume was provided!!in the evening we ate in the bistro,i didnt want to write any negatives,but here they are,most staff in bistro polite,me and my sister had steak,which was lovely,but at nearly 19pounds consisted of steak,chips and a handfull of leaves!the chocolate tart was not nice,a waiter asked me what was wrong so i told him,he didnt no what to say.i could also see the chef from where i was sitting and he used his hands for everything.also there was a list of different ice creams,but when ordering was told the freezer had packed up.these are just niggles as i work in a hotel myself.when we returned to our room it had been serviced,and some fudge left on our beds,lovely.breakfast was in the edwardian restaurant ,very grand,lovely breakfast,polite staff again.i loved it here and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank wulywoo
When a Senior Contributor writes 'left me wanting more' you have to smile. When reading on you discover they work in the business then the smile gets wider. Now being a Senior Reviewer and being in the trade you just know that they are going to find fault somewhere and they did but as you would hope for it was constructive and balanced a great review! Thank you. It means a lot when we receive these kind of wonderful reviews.

We all look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a one night stay for my sisters birthday. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome , given a guided tour and relaxed with a lovely afternoon tea . Our room (room2) was very nice , warm with some nice finishing touches and overlooking the front lawns . We went for a lovely walk around the grounds and then for a swim in the pool. We ate in the bistro which was very nice , steak cooked perfectly . Breakfast was served in the Edwardian restaurant and was also very nice. We could not fault our stay , staff were always courteous and helpful , we look forward to when we can come again !

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Janywany
A great review from a senior reviewer. Thank you, it is always appreciated. I am genuinely delighted when we get such a positive review. All he team here tend to read these reviews so you can be assured there will be a lot of smiling faces when this gets read.

Thank you once again and I look forward to seeing you here soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I went with a friend for a weekend spa retreat. We had a twin room in the main house (Room 2) which overlooked the golf course. The weather was atrocious so we spent our time in the hotel relaxing. The hotel manager Francesco was the friendliest hotel manager I've ever met. Rather than hide away in an office, we was out on view and available from the time we left the room for breakfast to saying goodnight. The staff are exceptionally friendly and down to earth. This hotel is not pretentious, despite it being luxurious. A beautiful manor house, it is animal and child friendly and provides guest with a daily newsletter with the activities provided for that day. Charming. I shall definitely be visiting again this year, perhaps when it stops raining!

Room Tip: Try to sloe gin and cider making. Make sure you get to see the free daily falconry displays.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking time to review Bovey Castle and what a review! Federico will be delighted to once again get a mention! He really is the jewel in our crown. He is incredibly friendly until Italy play England in whatever sport and then he changes! Fortunately we beat them more often than not so no harm done!

More seriously your review captures perfectly the essence of the place. Friendly and luxurious without the need to be pretentious which is a rare balance in Hotels. Hopefully we shall all see you again in the near future.

Thank you once again.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The winding roads to Bovey Castle gives you a clue to nothing modern. Bin the Sat Nav and get out your map. The entrance and Drive is amazing... stunning views. We were warmly greeted our luggage unloaded and our car taken away for parking. A very busy Sunday afternoon so hence our check in was a little hurried and no tour on offer. We were on a Secrets Escape break so was our valley Castle room the best available. I'm not sure. The big let down though was the great divide between Bistro dining and dining in the Edwardian Grill. One is a bit pretentious and the other is ordinary. I had a very poor nights sleep and the issues I raised was not dealt with very well. The Falconry Display was cancelled yet another injury from one of the birds. The birds are always boss. We loved strolling in the grounds so peaceful and relaxing and the quiet of the afternoon in one of those gorgeous lounges was to behold. All in all we had a happy and relaxed time.

Room Tip: A Valley Castle room is a must
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to post your review. It is always appreciated when a Senior Contributor takes time to let us know how much they enjoyed their visit. Whilst I think we probably didn't tick all the boxes for you in our restaurants I am delighted that overall you had a great stay. The birds a you say are the boss but fortunately this is not a frequent occurrence. They really are a sight to behold when they are on song!

With regards to your room category on Secret Escapes bookings the offer is based on our Castle Rooms so whilst we do of course have higher category rooms available we will always offer a very competitive upgrade should you require it. We only do a couple of these offered every year with Secret Escapes so look out on our website for any offers as we always have an amazing array of packages particularly for midweek stays.

Thank you once agin for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Bovey before too long.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I couldn't recommend Bovey castle enough - this was my third stay in as many years and it never disappoints.

This trip five of us stayed in one of the castle's lodges for the week of February half term (parents enjoyed staying in the main building - away from kids!) and had a really comfortable, relaxing time as a family (aged 13 - 78!). Lots of long walks with the dogs enjoying the stunning countryside surrounding the castle, a few fabulous dinners in both the hotel bistro and the Edwardian Grill and we even squeezed in an afternoon tea which was exquisite! Staying in the lodge we had a fully kitted out kitchen so on the Sunday my sister was even able to cook us a beautiful roast dinner; when we couldn't locate a roasting tin large enough for our piece of beef one quick call to the reception and 5 minutes later we were offered the use of one of the tins from the castle's own kitchen!

As just one example above, the level of customer service at Bovey Castle is what really makes the stay so special. All of the staff are happy, friendly and couldn't be more helpful. It's also nice that on return visits you still see a lot of the same staff and a few that are rising through the ranks. It's great so see that they must look after their staff so well.

We will definitely be booking more trips to Bovey Castle in the future - it is always a real treat and something we look forward to every year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy M
Thank you for posting such a marvellous review. It gets my vote as the best review in February! You really have captured the very essence of Bovey. The beauty of the building and the surrounding Estate in one of England's most beautiful counties is one thing, but this means little if when you get here you don't have a great stay. I am very proud to say you did as does nearly everyone when they stay here.

Perhaps most importantly you mention one of the biggest contributing factors - the team that work here. We work incredibly hard on retaining the staff here and also, which doesn't get mentioned very often, promoting the exceptional performers into more senior positions. The service charge goes some way to helping retain staff but we are lucky here that we are able to continue to develop the team and to support and encourage them to deliver better and better guest experiences. Your review will be much appreciated by all that work here so thank you once again for taking time to post it.

I hope to see you to thank you on your next visit to Bovey.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I spent a night at Bovey Castle last weekend as a post valentines surprise away, as he had wanted to stay at Bovey Castle for the past three years, after hearing great things and looking at pictures and reviews I was really excited to be taking my husband.
The grounds are stunning, and a couple of members of staff were amazing, these are the only good points I cant think of, along with the food being of a high standard. However there was a real lack of service from various staff along with a lack of humour and somewhat personality, which are the traits you really expect from staff in this kind of establishment. As we are both quite a young looking couple in our mid twenties, I felt at times that we were dismissed and somewhat ignored during times of service. For a weekend away costing quite a bit of money I was really expecting amazing things, I am just glad I didn't book a room costing more than £300. There was very little warmth in regards to the atmosphere and the rooms were a little tatty and dated. I can honestly say I have enjoyed a stay at a Premier Inn more than Bovey Castle. Such a disappointment!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2...the layout is strange, no door stop to connect the bedroom and bathroom, and t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank reesdavis24
In an attempt to save your partner from Valentines Day 2015 in a Travelodge please call me to discuss this review, I want to make amends if it is at all possible.

Everyone had such a wonderful time here at Valentines and it's a genuine shame you didn't. It is a mystery as everyone you included seemed to be having such fun. We must get to the bottom of it and put it right.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Bovey
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay
Ilsington Country House Hotel

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!