“My Favourite Hotel”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I reckon that Bovey Castle is my favourite hotel anywhere in the world, and I've stayed in quite a few.
It manages to feel truly special, extremely welcoming without being in the slightest bit stuffy or up itself.

From the moment you arrive at the front door and the guys in tweed plus-fours park your car, from there on in you couldn't be made to feel more welcome.

The remote location that's such a big bonus is only a negative when travelling there as it's quite a long way off the main A38 or A30 up some beautiful but windy roads.

Overall I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Pay the money for a 'Castle' room, ideally with a view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

And mine too!!

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! I really do appreciate you taking time to write and very much endorse what you say. Whilst we are around 10 miles from both the A30 and the A38 it really is as you say some of the most beautiful scenery on the way!

We all look forward to welcoming you back, once again thank you for your kind comments.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,456)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed the weekend of 7 December for my husbands birthday, yes it's expensive (drinks in the lounge bar especially!) however it's one of those places when it's entirely worth it. We did a few activities which really enhanced our stay & were a bargain for what was included. Archery & Rifle Shooting activity we were the only ones booked on so we had loads of time & extra tuition (I actually managed to shoot down 3 ducks in the end!) Cocktail Class is an absolute MUST!! It was £30 per person but you got 5 cocktails each which in comparison to the prices of cocktails in the lounge bar at £15 per cocktail, this class was an absolute bargain & we had such a laugh with the barman & other guests :)

Everything about the hotel is perfect, the building is beautiful & the setting extremely picturesque, the lovely concierge reception on arrival (although we had no clue it was valet parking & just parked our car out the back & walked lol!) the grandeur of the reception rooms with the enormous windows & views, the complimentary falconry each morning, the food & service is outstanding. The lovely informal bistro was a godsend on our arrival in scruffy clothes having just broken down in our car on the way there to sit down, have a pint of beer & not feel out of place.

My only slight niggle is the size of the bed! The room itself was spot on size wise, not too big, not too small, nice view overlooking the front of the castle & the bathroom was nice & spacious too. The bed I think was only a double, so not even king size (it certainly didn't feel like king size) so I didn't sleep very well I'm afraid as I'm used to sleeping on a super king size bed as I tend to toss & turn a lot so need lots of space. I can usually cope for a weekend on a minimum king size bed but this was awful so can only assume it was a double.

This hasn't put us off though, we are now looking at returning but trying one of the gorgeous detached lodges in the grounds next year & bringing our much loved dog with us this time :)

Thank You Bovey Castle for a truly magical experience! x

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

What a Magical review! Thank you so much. You are indeed correct that the best bargain of the day is the Cocktail Masterclass! Well spotted! I am absolutely chuffed to bits with your detailed account of your stay here and I have to say encapsulates all we try to achieve here. I am thrilled you enjoyed the food and service and that you found our informal Bistro such a Godsend. All great to hear.

I do take note of your point about the Queen sized bed and we will do something about that in the New Year. You are right in this day and age it is probably better to have King Sized beds where possible even if to makes the space a bit tighter. Fortunately nearly all our rooms and all of our Lodges do benefit from large beds.

Next time you plan a visit please let me know and we will make sure you are upgraded!

Many thanks once again.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Clearly this is an aspirational sort of a place for people who've never stayed in a truly nice hotel. Sure there are some good points, but nothing really stands out as being as good as billed. The lack of a decent phone signal and in-room wifi is unacceptable in this day and age and is just laziness on the part of the management who suggest you make your way out to the cold, rainy terrace to get close to their booster signal. How helpful of them. In-room heating appears yo be on a timer setting (in mid-December) which means the rooms are cold in the afternoon - a ploy to ensure they sell more afternoon teas, perhaps? And on that important matter, the tea in the bedrooms is somewhat ruined by the supplied UHT milk which they have the cheek to put in the fridge; if that doesn't bother you then you'll probably rate this place highly.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank W0rldtrav3ller

Oh dear.

World Traveller posts their one review and it has to be a sneering one at us!

My mother always told me if you have nothing useful or worthwhile to say, say nothing.

I posted this response from my mobile whilst having a coffee in the Bistro by the way.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Bovey Castle is a beautiful building, both inside and out, and at this time of year the Christmas sparkle adds to the effect. Having said that, there are omissions which should have been addressed in a hotel of this stature. Our bathroom was large - sufficient space for a free-standing shower rather than one over the bath. There was no grab rail or non-slip surface to the bath, so showering could be precarious. More significantly, there was no emergency pull anywhere in the bathroom in case of an accident. On arrival our luggage was whisked away and after half-an-hour had still not been delivered to our room - we had to go seek it out. The food in the Grill is good; in that in the Bistro pretty awful. Afternoon tea looked appetising, but the scones were dry. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable and our bathrrom was cleaned twice a day. Our terms of residence were a heavily discounted offer;this hotel in no way merits the rack price.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking time to write about your stay here. Whilst I think you had a broadly enjoyable and comfortable stay here, however I gather from your review that not everything was as you would like it to be. Please rest assured we will look into our luggage procedures as these are normally quite reliable but in this instance we clearly got it wrong. I am really pleased that you like the Edwardian Grill but sorry that you found the Bistro wanting, if you would let me know what you didn't like about it I promise to look into it. I will also make sure we look at the possibility of grab rails but I have to be honest that I cannot see the need for emergency pulls in the bathrooms, that could create a care home atmosphere and not one of relaxation I suspect. However I will look into it and see if the consensus is for it.

Overall I am pleased you enjoyed your stay but disappointed you didn't think it was as perfect as you would like. Perhaps if you would call me next time you plan a visit to Devon we occasionally have offers on our website for off peak periods which offer exceptional value and hopefully you will feel able to give us another chance?

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed at Bovey Castle 10th of December to 13th December 2013 for my partner 50th Birthday and our Anniversary. On arrival we were met and greeted by concierge who also showed us round the hotel before we checked into our room. We were intending to stay for 2 nights and extended it for another night. Federico was excellent and very proffessional and made us feel at home and is a credit to the Hotel. Samual who worked in the piano bar was very intentive to our needs also his colleagues. The same could be said for the breakfast and evening staff. Bovey Castle is a excellent Hotel to stay anytime of the year. Relaxing, fun,and food was great. Nothing was to much trouble. Dereck what a fun character. The room we stayed in was lovely with great views. We have stayed in various hotels in the past and would put Bovey Castle as a MUST. So a big Thank you especially to Federico for making our occasion excellent. Keep up the good work team Bovey Castle. Fantastic Hotel and attentive staff.

Room Tip: Choose upper floor in main hotel with front of house views looking over golf course and lakes.
1  Thank Richard-Betty

Well what a tremendous review! Thank you so much. I am delighted we were able to make you and your partners stay such a success and a belated happy 50th to your partner too!

Federico and the team here all read these reviews so I know his little Italian/African face will have a smile form ear to ear on it! Sam has just started as Matt Lilley's No2 in the Oak Bar so this is especially rewarding for him to receive praise and likewise Dereck has only been with us for a month so he is off to a flying start! He is already proving popular with our guests. Your comments about all of the staff you encountered is much appreciated.

Hopefully we will see you back at Bovey before too long.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Just returned from a few days break in Bovey Castle. We enjoyed our stay so much that we stayed on for an extra night. The food was excellent with every attention given and we were made to feel very welcome without being overpowered. Our thanks particularly Fredrica.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for such a glowing review. It was so good to hear that you were enjoying your stay so much that you stayed on an extra night! Brilliant!

Thank you once again and we all look forward to seeing you again. Please make sure you call Federico or me to let us know you are coming.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Bovey Castle this afternoon for a Champagne afternoon tea. What a fantastic experience, with great food, a great setting and wonderfully attentive staff. This is the first time I've visited Bovey Castle, but my wife and I will be back soon!! Thanks Bovey Castle for a lovely afternoon.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuisGordon
BoveyCastleHotel, Manager at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you so much for a very kind review. It is so rewarding to read your review as it lifts every one who works here to know that you found your experience so enjoyable. Once again many thanks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Bovey
#2 of 2 in Chagford
The Dartmoor Lodge
The Dartmoor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Ashburton

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!