“What a treat!”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed for two nights in June. We had a lovely stay in and the Staff are second to none, helpful, cheerful, nothing is to much trouble, making for a relaxed atmosphere in stunning surroundings. The Room was very comfortable with a large bathroom. Our dogs enjoyed lovely walks in the grounds. Just wish we could have stayed longer and it was nearer!!!!
Many thanks to all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,440)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were treated to afternoon tea by very close friends at Bovey Castle hotel. On arrival the desk was a little vague about where the teas were being served, but once we found the right location things looked up, and from then on service was excellent. Between us we had three different teas to drink with as many top ups as required together with very tasty cream teas, all beautifully presented. The setting is stunning, with far reaching views from the lovely terrace where we were served tea, under a beautiful sunny cloudless sky, bliss.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Arrived to beautiful location with dogs in tow. Staff very pleasant and we were able to sit on the Bistro terrace overlooking the golf course and surrounding grounds which were stunning. We had previously rung before we arrived to see if we could have afternoon tea but they said they were full, hence we decided to eat at the bistro. I ordered the fishcakes but alas they had run out so my husband then asked if we could possibly have the afternoon tea and we were pleasantly surprised (having previously been told no) when she said yes. My husband ordered the high tea at £19 and I had the normal cream tea at £14........very very disappointing, 4 finger sandwiches, 3 tiny desserts and 4 scones, jam (not homemade) cream and 2 tiny pots of tea. For £33 l was gutted having wanted to go there for ages. I then was even more gutted when I heard the table of 10 next to us order the fishcakes and they didn't say no to them!
One other point, as a smoker (bad I know) it was nice to smoke outside but what wasn't nice was all the ashtrays had about 10 to 15 cigarette ends in them, they should have been removed, especially for those who don't smoke.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Skiiddy
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I played in a golf day here and received first class service from the time my car drove through the entrance gates to the courtyard, until I left with my car keys being handed to me and my car door being closed. The ambience of a past country estate has been utilised as a superb hotel retreat and a very hard and challenging golf course within the grounds, which I guarantee will challenge every player. The service is special and all of the staff are courteous and attentive. There is plenty to do here, relaxing and chilling come as standard. Only drawback may be that you are well into the Dartmoor countryside so a car is essential. Will be back for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank zazazaz
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at Bovey castle for 2 nights. The staff are very helpful, and the locations can only be described as amazing.

However, I can certainly that the bar meals nor the breakfast were that of a 5 star Hotel. The breakfast, infact, was unfortunately one of the worst I have experienced. Sausages were cold. Scrambled egg was too runny for my liking and poached eggs too 20 minutes to arrive upon my request. There is significant improvement needed for breakfast without a doubt.

The bar meals are not all that great and are certainly expensive for what they are. Again, not on par with what I have experienced with other 5 star hotels. Breakfast and Bar meals are to be considered 3 star.

Do not order anything on your room. It seemed that on the odd occassion staff were surprised when i wanted to pay by cash. Instead they try and encourage you to charge to your room, where you will be slammed with an 11% service charge for every item you place on your room. This was an nasty surprise and something that should have been mentioned beforehand.

All in all a great hotel, lovely atmosphere and great area...just certain things need working on.

1  Thank AMALAIPWY
BoveyCastleHotel, Bovey Castle management team at Bovey Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

While we strive to offer our guests an unparalleled experience of luxury within our Dartmoor setting, there are instances where the feedback we receive from visitors informs us that improvements are required to refine the overall offering.

It is disappointing to read that you felt particular elements of dining at Bovey Castle fell below your expectations; in contrast to your individual experience, Bovey Castle's afternoon tea, Beef Menu and Sunday lunch in The Edwardian Grill are all widely praised.

As a result of your review, our director of food and beverage has called a meeting to discuss breakfast with his relevant team members, which in the upcoming weeks will lead to a revision in both service standards and cooking techniques.

The hotel's discretionary service charge is highlighted extensively, from the booking stage to
in-room information, but we appreciate that for some guests their first interaction with this is during payment for a meal or activity within the hotel. The 12.5% service charge for dining at Bovey Castle, as is standard at countless restaurants, hotels and eateries throughout the UK, is applied regardless of payment method.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bovey Castle.

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay in a castle room. We were very impressed on arrival. A friendly greeting from the man who brought in our bags and parked the car gave a good first impression. In fact all of the staff were lovely. We had lunch in the bistro while waiting for our room to be ready. It was nice, but pricey. Fab views over the grounds.
Sadly, I found our room (11) a bit disapointing. It was huge, but quite tired. There were paint marks on the bathroom floor and cigarette burns on the chair by the desk, the wallpaper had seen better days. But, the bed was comfy, shower excellent and it was clean. We had no view which I expected. The worst thing was I fancied some lie ins but at about 8 ish every morning it sounded like someone doing some serious glass smashing right outside!
Dinner in the restaurant was odd - we booked for 7.45 but were asked to wait in the bar. After 1/2 hour we asked what was happening and were then shown to a table. After that the service was good but I was glad the meal was included as it was so expensive! It was excellent but I wouldn't pay those prices.
The spa was great, afternoon tea great and the man flying the birds in the morning was well worth seeing.
This was a special treat for us after a rotten year so far and I really enjoyed it. All the things I mentioned were minor and didn't affect our stay.
If you like walking, ask for the red book and do walk 5. We didn't see anyone else and fab views at the top!
I reccommend the pub in moretonhampstead, I've forgotten the name but great real ale and good cheap pub grub.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We attended a wedding here and stayed the weekend, absolutely stunning location. Our room was on the first floor in the castle. It was a gorgeous room with everything to a very high standard. The staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
We took part in the cider and sloe gin making which was lots of fun. We had a few meals, all delicious. The only thing i think needed improvement was the breakfast service which seemed a little unorganised the two mornings we ate there.
We had an amazing time before and after the wedding, the setting was just perfect!

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Bovey
#2 of 2 in Chagford
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!