“Cream tea treat”
Review of Bovey Castle Hotel

Bovey Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Bovey
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We came here or afternoon tea this weekend and I have to say that coming here on previous occasions the service and food was rather poor, the jam was a very small portion and runny in consistency with cold scones that left a chalky after taste, disappointed in the cream tea but the redbush tea was delightful.
At a cost of £14 for one cream tea it's very overpriced for poor quality and small cold scones there is also a service charge Added on top of your bill @12.5%.
I will not be returning here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisamac043
Write a ReviewReviews (2,440)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night in November and the occasion couldn't have been made better by Frederico and his team. We had a private table in the library and a bottle of champagne in the room. A memorable experience indeed.
The food was wonderful, well seasoned and well cooked. The cheeseboard is indeed amazing and Adam (I think) was very knowledgeable on them all.
We shall certainly return next year to experience more of "Fred's" genuine Lebanese hospitality.

P.s. Dartmoor is the most beautiful of places and, thank the lord, a good long drive away from my home in London.

Room Tip: Valley view rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have just stayed at Bovey Castle with old friends for a Birthday treat on a special offer. We enjoyed it but it did not knock our socks off. The service was very variable - from excellent to fairly poor and the tasting menu , apart from the beef and the pudding , was fairly disappointing in comparison with others that we have enjoyed in the last few months. Perhaps our expectations were too high, based on an excellent Sunday lunch experience with friends who were staying there in November. Especial mention must be made however, of the 'outdoor staff' who meet, greet, park the car and help with luggage. Both the young woman and young man on duty were utterly charming and gave excellent first impressions of the hotel. I am glad that we have had the experience of staying at Bovey as we had wanted to do so for quite a while but it will be Gidleigh, Endsleigh or Talland Bay for the next special occasion.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here in April and loved it. Did cider making course and falconery. How do you beat that?
Some of the reviews posted from the 'Essex' girls really show how misleading and dangerous reviews from amateurs can be to genuinely good places. Fantastic from start to finish.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FermanaghKeys
Reviewed January 15, 2013

For even half serious golfers and good hotel lovers this is Devon's answer to Gleneagles. You are greeted by tweedy looking staff who may well be jocks and from that moment on Bovey Castle wraps you in blanket like comfort. Just as well because it's often raining outside. The reception rooms are huge with scented wood fires; the views are stunning; and your bedroom is large and well appointed, if just a little faded. If you are part of a larger family or group the hotel offers several lodges. Food and wine just about match the hotel's rating and the dining room feels like a cruise liner's: you would not go there for a gastro experience. You would go there for wonderful walks, falconry, its spa and above all a really testing and beautifully designed golf course. If this place were nearer to London it would be heaving.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Booked a weekend away here through Secret Escapes, so we already had a good deal. When we arrived, we were given a complimentary room upgrade and so had even more of a bargain. The room was lovely with great views and all of the staff that we encountered were very polite and helpful. The lounges are great with their comfy sofas and open, roaring fires. The bar is very well stocked and we enjoyed working our way through the gin menu. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and the food there was excellent - as were the breakfasts.

I'd recommend doing the courses on cocktail making and cider/sloe gin making. Great fun and you come away having learned some valuable new skills.

A really nice trip all in all and I'll be looking to visit again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Bovey Castle is a stunning Hotel, with beautiful grounds situated in Dartmoor. From previous visits I knew that service and food is second to none and that it would be the perfect place to ask my girlfriend to marry me. Expectations were blown out of the water.

My experience with the hotel started when I came to meet the Hotel Manager Federico Aresti to book the weekend. I was initially predicting that the planning of the proposal was going to be quite stressful. However, as soon as I mentioned my plan of asking my girlfriend to marry me over the weekend he beamed with a massive smile and said "Do not worry Mr Thomas...I have some fantastic ideas". After showing me around the hotel and grounds describing his various ideas about the perfect way of popping the questions we settled on The Summer House. As I left he said "I will make it perfect for you. I promise!". He couldn't have been more right.

During my first meeting with Mr Aresti and the weekend we kept in email contact as we brainstormed further ideas about the proposal. After finalising a plan he said "Just turn up Mr Thomas and everything will be in our hands!"

From the moment we arrived the magic started. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready so the staff took care of our bags and parked our car. The Bistro food we had for lunch was delicious. I can heartily recommend the Fresh egg tagliatelle with roasted tomatoes, kale and garlic. My girlfriend had the Pumpkin risotto with thyme and parmesan which was equally delicious. After lunch my girlfriend went off to enjoy a Spa treatment which she said "set her up to relax perfectly for the Christmas holiday!" During her Spa treatment Mr Aresti had asked for a member of staff to take me down to the summer house to show me what they had done already. It looked incredible, but in no way set me up for seeing it in its full glory a few hours later.

I was told to let Mr Aresti or the girls on reception know when my girlfriend and I would be leaving the hotel to do a stroll of the grounds before dinner. As we left Mr Aresti went down to The Summer House to set the final arrangements in place.

When we arrived at The Summer House I couldn't control my emotions. It looked simply magical. My exceptions were exceeded by a mile (please see the attached pictures to see for yourself). The movie and soundtrack I had made were timed perfectly to play as soon as we arrived. About 300 tea lights lit the walkway to The Summer House. The ring, a bottle of campaign, 2 glasses, chocolates and strawberries were waiting for us with more tea lights and fairy lights too. My first thought was 'this looks like a fairy-tale' but that moment was all ours and Bovey Castle made it so.

After the proposal we made our way to our room, which had been decorated in our absence. It looked beautiful. We then made our way to the Edwardian for Dinner. All the staff congratulated us and made us feel so special. While we ordered our starter and mains we were served 2 delicious cocktails. The food, wine and service in the restaurant was impeccable. The perfect way to complement a very special evening.

The next day I had organised another surprise - for both our families to join us at Bovey Castle and had booked a lodge for them. Mr Aresti orchestrated their arrival and my Fiancé burst into tears.

We stayed another night and the rest of our stay continued to be a dream come true.

Thank you Bovey Castle for your incredible staff, your delectable food and drink and for making the most magical moment of my life. Than you Mr Aresti for your care, your attention to detail and orchestrating a weekend to remember.

Room Tip: Obviously the rooms with the view of the rolling hills of Dartmoor are the best but I can guarantee...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Chagford
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent

Been to Bovey Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!