The Exeter Inn
$143
Priceline
$133
Lantern Lodge(Hope Cove)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe pubsunday lunchhigh streetgood nights sleepcomfortable bedreal aleplace to eatnarrow stairsarrived latewhole experienceset us up for the dayeaster weekendan evening mealfull englishfriendly placelamb shankfriendly service
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We returned to The Exeter Inn this January for a break after a hectic Christmas. Again we were treated wonderfully by Nickie, her team and the local's. Unfortunately I felt unwell the first night & although going to the bar could neither eat nor drink - I have to say Nickie & the bar staff showed more compassion than my wife!! Many thanks & see you again later this year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for one night in November 2012 while on business. I was shown to my room by a very friendly and cheerful Irish woman who made me feel very welcome to the hotel which was greatly appreciated after a long day’s driving. I started the evening with a pint in a very comfy chair by an open fire. I later had an exceptionally nice steak meal at a very reasonable price (about £15 with another pint of beer).

My room was very clean and the bed comfortable and, while the bathroom was clean and modern, the room retained much character and charm. The view from the window looked over a junk yard which, if you are staying with a partner, is not particularly romantic but as I was on my own it didn’t bother me. Initially I had been concerned about noise as there was a table of guys in the restaurant enjoying themselves and I thought their noise (acceptable in the resturant) might reach my room but the room was quiet and I had a very good nights sleep (though possibly due in part to the beer).

The English breakfast was simply perfect, I have had equal but I do not think better.

In short this inn is friendly, comfortable with good food and decent value.

There is unfortunately a ‘however’ which is nothing to do with the inn but relates to the appalling parking in the area. There is a long term car park at 70p per hour or £5 for the day but it starts at 8am with no way to pay for this the night before. This means that, unless you were able to find a space amongst the free residence areas, you have to get up early and sort out parking before 8am. The car park and nearest free areas are a good few hundred yards walk so hopefully it won’t be raining.

I will be in the area again soon and would love to stay here but it really was such a fuss to sort out my car and avoid a parking ticket (I drove around for 10 minutes and found a free space at the end of the street and half way up a hill) that I’m not sure I actually will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank junty1960
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent two nights on a mini-honeymoon. When we arrived we hadn't mentioned that we were on our honymoon but as we checked in late afternoon we asked if they were serving food. We came down to the bar after checking in to find that they had reserved us a table at the front of the pub. The owners and staff were fantastic making us feel at home. The pub served good food, real ale and had a good wine list but not pretentious. We retired the the bar after eating and had an excellent firt night. The locals were fantatic, this pub isn't a tourist trap and you get a real local feel to the place. Phil the lanlord ended up playing the piano, we a had a fantastic night. Breakfast eas made to order by Nikki, Phil's other half and was lovely. We sat by the open fire whenever we could, very cosy. We will definitely return next year for our anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Davo1972
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I had the great pleasure of staying five nights at this beautiful 14th Century Tudor Inn recently. The atmosphere was amazing, traditional low ceilings which kept Paul on his toes. The staff were extremely friendly and made us feel right at home. Thank you Niki, Phil, Kim, Heather, Bec and Irish (the best breakfast) for your welcome and care whilst we were staying with you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lornaok
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

A brilliant find, family owned and staffed. This C14th Onn is a picture postcard English inn in the heart of Modbury, which is a quaint, and interesting little town with a surprising amount of local shopping.
The traditional pub is exactly as you want - low ceilings, a little dark, comfortable and atmospheric. Service and food was excellent, although there were 2 other alternative eating options within a few doors.
The rooms are recently refurbished, to a good, homely standard with good en-suites and eclectic furnishings. Think 'staying with friends' rather than 'hotel'. I've added this to my must return here list.

• Stayed: August 2012