“A breakfast to remember!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dartmoor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lydford
Dartmoor Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Lydford B&B and Inns
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom
“A breakfast to remember!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

We stayed here for one night as part of a long weekend on Dartmoor and we were very impressed! There are only three rooms and ours ('Toile') was very tastefully decorated and big. A roll top bath would have topped it off but that's just being picky.

The staff were friendly and it's nice to be greeted by everyone the moment you walk through the door. It makes you feel welcome even though we felt wind-swept and a little tired.

The evening meal was fantastic - on par with some much more expensive hotels/restaurants we've been to over the years. We opted for the 'A La Carte' menu for our romantic dinner for two but there was also an 'Easy Dining' menu for those wanting something a little more hearty and only slightly less-sophiscated (Liver and Bacon, Devon Ruby Burger and Chips etc.). For my main course I had a sea bass fillet on a bed of spinach and mussels in a beautifully delicate sauce - probably one of the best fish dishes I've ever had!

The 'dining room' is a actually two rooms, with fireplaces and a lovely atmosphere. You can also eat in the bar area and the area behind the bar too - both very welcoming.

Breakfast really made this a place to remember though. Everything was beautifully presented (unusual for a breakfast) and perfectly cooked. I don't want to ruin the suprise for anyone but I loved the fruit and it's the first time I've ever had a 'chocolate pot' for breakfast - perfect with a cup of their really good coffee! Even the decaf was good! (If I was being really picky a larger glass of Orange Juice would have been nice but they seemed happy enough to get another glass on request)

We will definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HarleneQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Dartmoor Inn for 2 nights in October on the back of some internet research and we were not quite sure what to expect from this 3 roomed guesthouse - it certainly seemed unique. We were completely blown away - the location is great, right on the edge of Dartmoor with lots of walks on the doorstep and a 20 minute drive into the heart of the park. Our room was gorgeous (we stayed in "Toile") and the staff were very friendly (not snooty at all as one review suggested). We ate there both nights and the food was fantastic - this is by far one of the best restaurants we have eaten in.

There is a comment on here about the lack of vegetarian choice, well, a couple in the bar when we were there asked the waitress what veggie choices there were and they were presented with 2 or 3 choices of starter and main course. We also found the kitchen to be very accommodating when we had a couple of requests. Breakfast was also a delight with great coffee and a varied menu.

The en suite bathroom to our gorgeous bedroom was very spacious - I think a luxurious roll top bath and separate walk in shower would have completed the room and made for an even more relaxing finish to a walk on the moors before dinner. Having said that there was nothing wrong with the bath/shower as it currently is, but this would really make the room that little bit more special.

I agree wiith comments about the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room but having said that we did not miss it enough to ask about it as we were out most of the day and down for breakfast first thing in the morning so this wasn't a major issue for us.

We will definitely return and will be highly recommending it to our family and friends.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLS10
Devon
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 6,498 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

Neither cheap nor expensive. Good for what you pay. Well managed, comfortable and welcoming. possibly slightly snooty but not oppressive. Bit of a drive unless you're out on the moor. Good selection of food well presented. Sometimes a bit of a wait. Excellently kept beers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jannerbloke
Redlynch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

Found the Dartmoor Inn in 'Room at the Inn' - a guide that we have found invaluable for those who like very comfortable Inns with good food. We had high expectations and were not disappointed in any way. The location, comfort, friendly staff and quite superb food made it a super 3 day/2 night break to Dartmoor. The place was 'buzzing' on the Saturday night and on the Sunday evening we had the most amazing cold meal laid out for us - and the place to ourselves with an honesty bar. The breakfasts were the best I have ever had with different fresh fruit and a choice of hot meal each day - the coffee was hot and strong - excellent. The Inn is a five minute walk from the moors and several impressive Tors, the highest of which we had a picnic lunch on. The Inn gave us a pack lunch for the Sunday for our walk/scramble/skinny dip along the River Dart - wonderful! A mile away is the Lydford Gorge - another must to see.

The rooms were spacious and beatifully furnished with large comfortable double beds, large en suite facilities and fluffy white towels.

The only very small negative comment is the roadside location - in hot weather with the windows open you will hear the traffic. But this will not stop us returning to this gem of an Inn

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank RedlynchSunseeker_9
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

This was my fourth visit to the Michelin Highly Commended Dartmoor Inn. After a walk around Lydford Gorge, my family and I went for lunch. The staff are very welcoming and friendly and the chef even brought out some sliced beef for our border terrier, Ted.

I opted for the duck as it is always superb and my family went for the Sunday set lunch. All meat and vegetables are sourced locally and you can tell from the taste! Fantastic starters, two had the chilled soup with a very generous helping of crab, and my Mum had the Ham Hock and Chicken liver terrine. Both were very good, the former bringing total refreshment after a hot walk. For mains, my girlfriend went for the fish option for main which was a very fresh piece of halibut with hazelnut crust and my parents opted for the roast Devon Ruby beef - again, one of the best tasting roasts I've had. Desserts were excellent too; the most popular option being a meringue with lemon curd, clotted cream and passion fruit jus. Each layer perfectly complemented the flavours around it!

From my previous evening visits, I cannot recommend the chateubriand for two highly enough.. Wow!

I would strongly suggest that if you're in the area (or even a while away!) that you take a trip to the Dartmoor Inn. It's a good 80 miles from us, but worth it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TauntonInternational
Chobham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

Having rented a Landmark Trust property near Lydford for a group of 12 friends, we asked Philip and his team to cook a special dinner at the house. The food was fantastic and the staff very good. For the main course we had Duck in a Mint Crust with a Rhubarb Compote, all of our guests frequent top London restaurants, they all said this was the best duck they had ever eaten. The starters and desserts were equally great. Thoroughly recommend. Can't wait to visit Philip's hotel and enjoy the food once again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank cedar29
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

Small restaurant and bar with 3 rooms. This has to be the best place I have stayed. The food is excellent, the menu is well thought out and changed each night. The kitchen catered for requests without a fuss. We paid £70 on average for dinner for 2.
The room was also very very good. I am normally disapointed by hotel rooms but not here. And just as you thought it could get no better we went to breakfast, there was the normal egg & bacon but I had home cured corned beef hash with egg one day and lambs kidneys on black pudding the next, this was after the cerial & fresh fruit.

I dont normally write reviews but this place deserves mentioning. My only negative point would be the lack of a comfy lounge to sit & relax after a good days walking, you can sit in the bar, and we had asofa in our room so not such a bad thing.

In short, very clean room, excellent food and very good staff.

• Liked — Clean & tasteful
  • Disliked — Hardly anything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lefty5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydford
Lewtrenchard Manor
Lydford Country House
Lydford Country House
#1 of 6 in Lydford
Heathergate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Dartmoor Inn? Share your experiences!