“Wonderful Weekend”

Ranked #4 of 8 Lydford B&B and Inns
Redlynch
“Wonderful Weekend”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Found the Dartmoor Inn in 'Room at the Inn' - a guide that we have found invaluable for those who like very comfortable Inns with good food. We had high expectations and were not disappointed in any way. The location, comfort, friendly staff and quite superb food made it a super 3 day/2 night break to Dartmoor. The place was 'buzzing' on the Saturday night and on the Sunday evening we had the most amazing cold meal laid out for us - and the place to ourselves with an honesty bar. The breakfasts were the best I have ever had with different fresh fruit and a choice of hot meal each day - the coffee was hot and strong - excellent. The Inn is a five minute walk from the moors and several impressive Tors, the highest of which we had a picnic lunch on. The Inn gave us a pack lunch for the Sunday for our walk/scramble/skinny dip along the River Dart - wonderful! A mile away is the Lydford Gorge - another must to see.

The rooms were spacious and beatifully furnished with large comfortable double beds, large en suite facilities and fluffy white towels.

The only very small negative comment is the roadside location - in hot weather with the windows open you will hear the traffic. But this will not stop us returning to this gem of an Inn

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank RedlynchSunseeker_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This was my fourth visit to the Michelin Highly Commended Dartmoor Inn. After a walk around Lydford Gorge, my family and I went for lunch. The staff are very welcoming and friendly and the chef even brought out some sliced beef for our border terrier, Ted.

I opted for the duck as it is always superb and my family went for the Sunday set lunch. All meat and vegetables are sourced locally and you can tell from the taste! Fantastic starters, two had the chilled soup with a very generous helping of crab, and my Mum had the Ham Hock and Chicken liver terrine. Both were very good, the former bringing total refreshment after a hot walk. For mains, my girlfriend went for the fish option for main which was a very fresh piece of halibut with hazelnut crust and my parents opted for the roast Devon Ruby beef - again, one of the best tasting roasts I've had. Desserts were excellent too; the most popular option being a meringue with lemon curd, clotted cream and passion fruit jus. Each layer perfectly complemented the flavours around it!

From my previous evening visits, I cannot recommend the chateubriand for two highly enough.. Wow!

I would strongly suggest that if you're in the area (or even a while away!) that you take a trip to the Dartmoor Inn. It's a good 80 miles from us, but worth it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TauntonInternational
Chobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Having rented a Landmark Trust property near Lydford for a group of 12 friends, we asked Philip and his team to cook a special dinner at the house. The food was fantastic and the staff very good. For the main course we had Duck in a Mint Crust with a Rhubarb Compote, all of our guests frequent top London restaurants, they all said this was the best duck they had ever eaten. The starters and desserts were equally great. Thoroughly recommend. Can't wait to visit Philip's hotel and enjoy the food once again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank cedar29
Cornwall
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Small restaurant and bar with 3 rooms. This has to be the best place I have stayed. The food is excellent, the menu is well thought out and changed each night. The kitchen catered for requests without a fuss. We paid £70 on average for dinner for 2.
The room was also very very good. I am normally disapointed by hotel rooms but not here. And just as you thought it could get no better we went to breakfast, there was the normal egg & bacon but I had home cured corned beef hash with egg one day and lambs kidneys on black pudding the next, this was after the cerial & fresh fruit.

I dont normally write reviews but this place deserves mentioning. My only negative point would be the lack of a comfy lounge to sit & relax after a good days walking, you can sit in the bar, and we had asofa in our room so not such a bad thing.

In short, very clean room, excellent food and very good staff.

• Liked — Clean & tasteful
  • Disliked — Hardly anything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lefty5
Bristol
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Staff: very friendly and helpful.

Room: We stayed in Toile. Nicely decorated. TV with freeview. Roberts radio. However, the room overlooks the road (which is busy during the day but not so at night, although if you are a light sleeper, probably best avoid this room or use earplugs). My personal view is that the room is a little overpriced (£120) but perhaps not by much.

Bar/restaurant: Good attentive service. The bar is small and can get a little overcrowded. Nicely decorated.

Food: Not cheap for pub food. My fillet steak was a bit tough and overcooked and not really worth the price I paid. Nevertheless, a nice meal overall.

I would recommend the Dartmoor Inn overall but would suggest that if the noise of traffic is a concern, you ask if they have any rooms not overlooking the road.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank mew20
Herefordshire
Reviewed September 10, 2008

After a day's walking on Dartmoor with friends, we googled to find a decent place to eat in the Lydford area. The Dartmoor Inn had a great-looking website that offered at least two different menus - including a mid-week fixed price one which seemed to offer the kind of food that appealed. So we headed there.

We parked in the car park at the rear and in the twilight saw steps going down at the back of the inn, so headed down them with some concern - the rear basement area was unkempt, rubbish-scattered, damp and had several items of broken garden furniture. We quickly decided that we'd made a mistake and walked back round the front of the inn, which is on quite a busy main road.

A member of staff sent us into a small, unatmospheric bar, where we were studiously ignored by the young barman who was busy preparing drinks for diners. While we waited and waited and waited, we wandered around and discovered a room at the back of the bar, painted in all-over pastels and decorated with little mannequins. Elsewhere someone had fastened horizontal wood cladding of the kind you find on garden sheds to the walls and given it a coat of duck-egg paint. Oh, plus duck-egg wreaths. From what we could see, it was design-on-a-budget stuff.

Eventually, after a good ten minutes, we were offered the opportunity to order a drink and given a menu. Only the a la carte was available, despite what the website said. We don't eat red meat, so there was scarcely any choice. We wondered briefly whether it was worth spending £15 for a plate of fish and chips, decided that we really didn't want to give this pretentious
establishment our money, finished our drinks and walked out. As there were no staff around, nobody saw us go - and no one will see us ever go back there!

Maybe, once you make it through to the dining rooms, the food is decent and the decor is less twee. But if you're a vegetarian, don't even think about it: there is no main course veggie option. And who'd want to patronise an establishment that gives such a poor welcome and such shockingly bad service? Not me, for one.

Stayed September 2008
4 Thank SandyLeo
Cambridge
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Comfy room (on a main road, but two lots of double glazing meant it was silent). A good bed. Excellent showers! Some comments in previous reviews about it not having a TV - they do now - something like a 20" plasma screen.

The food on the evening we ate there was great (they do a £9.95 seafood night for two courses, which was good; I had the a la carte menu and had the best fish and chips I've ever had). But the breakfasts... I've never seen anything like it! Home made corned beef hash, or bacon and eggs, or smoked salmon and saffron scrambled eggs... definitely not the place to go if you're on a diet, but for everyone else - make a beeline for it. Simply brilliant.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank has27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydford
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 1 in North Bovey
Horn of Plenty
Horn of Plenty
#1 of 1 in Gulworthy

Been to Dartmoor Inn? Share your experiences!