“Warm Welcome and a Delicious Lunch”
Review of Dartmoor Inn

Dartmoor Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Lydford B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

The set menu was small but beautifully formed. 2 choices of starters and mains. We both had the fresh crab with Gazpacho soup to start and to follow I had salmon fish cake with a subtle mild curry sauce and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his slow cooked pork belly. Both dishes were beautifully presented. This was not just pub grub. It was altogether something different.
The gentleman behind the bar was friendly and fronted the Inn in a friendly, open manner.
Our only disappointment, and it was a small one, was that as it was a beautiful day there was nowhere attractive to sit outside. It looks like this is on the point of being rectified, however.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed May 30, 2014

In company with American friends we spent 4 nights in the well sited hotel for touring and walking in Devon.The rooms were spacious and well appointed,the breakfast the best I have had in any hotel and the evening meals of the highest quality .
The service was friendly, expert and unobtrusive.
I cannot recommend this hotel too highly.

Room Tip: The larger of the rooms is very spacious
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just had an ama-zing meal at The Dartmoor Inn at Lifton. Had warm beef cheek, chorizo and smoked ham salad for starters followed by local Dexter point end brisket of beef and rare roasted rump with all the trimmings....... No exaggeration but I was cutting the meat with just my fork as it was that tender. Desert was ginger sponge with vanilla sauce (thin custard)....... Quality of the food was superb. Presentation of the food was excellent. Surroundings and atmosphere was great. But boy was it seriously let down by the service. 3hrs to have a 3 course meal. Firstly no drinks order taken when we sat down at the table. No real big issue with that as easily missed but proved to be the first of many. We had to wait over 5 minutes for the last of our party to get served their starters after I had to ask the waitress where it was. Then with the main course I had to ask for my Yorkshire pudding as it wasn't served with the meal. Asked who I think was a manageress for a bottle of tap water to be replaced as the bottle had sediment and lots of bits floating in it..... (Looked like it had been swilled round in dirty dishwater to wash it and then filled with water). Then after 10 minutes I had to go and search for her again to ask where the replacement bottle was. Finally I had to ask twice for the bill....! They certainly don't rush you or was it a ploy to get us to stay so we then order dinner? The majority of the waiting staff looked like it was their first day and some looked almost petrified when finally serving or clearing away plates..... So two completely different experiences from the same restaurant. I'd certainly try there again as the food was so gorgeous but not on a day that is likely to be busy. So probably midweek of mid-month. Improve the service at it would easily be a 5 star +..... To me the food is better than Tanners in Plymouth but such a shame the rating is seriously dragged down by the very poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrRHoney
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Had lunch here today and have come away feeling disappointed. The starts and main course were all excellent, turbot goujons, cauliflower soup, haddock, lambs liver. but at no time were we asked if things were ok, or if we would like more drinks. We decided on desserts and these were such a huge let down, I ordered vanilla Panna cotta with honeycombe, it arrived in a shallow dish and was about 2cm deep with a thick jelly coating (tasted like passion fruit) and a very overripe strawberry, far too much gelatine had been used and it was hard. I told the waitress it wasn't what I ordered and she said that it was the only panna cotta they had, she then shouted out for someone called Andrew, but there was no follow up. My husbands frangipan tart was served with another overripe strawberry and it was completely tasteless. He told the waitress this when paying and she just said 'oh right'.
Its a shame the meal ended on a low as it started so well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katrinalort63
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had been many times before, for lunch or dinner, but this time we had a three-night winter break on attractive DB&B terms. The room was large and comfortable and the food was carefully sourced, prepared and served. Even the continental breakfast was outstanding - the bread is good and their little pots of chocolate, the unusual jams and jellies and on the last day, some superb early rhubarb pieces in grenadine were memorable. Excellent coffee, too. Each evening, the winter break terms meant that we were offered a residents' three course menu listing a limited choice - 'limited' not being a problem when the quality is as good as this. I particularly enjoyed the artichoke soup and a stunning dish based on a blade of beef. This is quality food in a relaxed, informal style. In my opinion, when that's done well, it's unbeatable.
There are plenty of walks nearby, including an interesting one on the disused railway through the village. Better try it now - some people are lobbying for the line to be re-opened!

Room Tip: 'Toile' was a good size and plenty of room for me to work in it. Very comfortable bed. The r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Pub is very appealing, cosy with two log fires & an interesting collection of painting. The barman, Ross, was welcoming & knowledgeable Visited evening mid week for a birthday meal; starters john dory in tribute ale batter, plus goat cheese beetroot & hazelnut salad- we impressed right from the outset. it only got better. mains of duck breast & a butterfly lamb were sensational, followed by delicious creme brulee . Credit to the chef.
Food was far better than we had expected, we will return.
Highly recommend

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guysurfz
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We would like to thank all the hard working staff for making our Christmas Day lunch stress free and very enjoyable. The atmosphere was very welcoming, and just what we wanted to see on a cold Christmas Day a roaring log fire. The lunch served was superb (as always) we could not of asked for better food or service.
The 60 mile round trip from Plymouth was most definitely worth it.

Happy New Year to you all!

We look forward to our return in 2014.

Many thanks once again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie1811
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydford
Mill End Hotel
#2 of 25 in Okehampton
Fox and Hounds Hotel
Fox and Hounds Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lydford

Been to Dartmoor Inn? Share your experiences!