“Great short break, excellent service”
Review of Dartmoor Inn

Dartmoor Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Lydford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went to the Dartmoor in because we where attracted by the web site and the positive trip advisor reviews, I will start with the negatives - no kettle in the room and small and friendly, yes that's it! We absolutely loved it the food was fantastic great local produce used and slight variances every day, and the breakfast selection was fantastic - and if you ever get to try the game soup don't miss out. Great open log fire, brilliant hospitality please give it a try, the negative reviews on trip advisors don't know what they are talking about read the positive ones.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon M
There are newer reviews for Dartmoor Inn

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have eaten at the Dartmoor Inn twice this year. The first was disappointing but as my step father raves about it I thought I should give it a second go. This turned out to be equally as disappointing. The food is cooked beautifully but the portions are so small! I do not have a big appetite at all and rarely finish a meal. This is the only place I have ever been that I can easily manage a starter and a main course and still feel hungry. I never have puddings although I always fancy one when perusing a menu, its just I never have room. However, I could easily order one here but refrain because at this stage I am too agitated at the portion sizes and the price that I cant wait to leave. Not a pleasant experience especially on the wallet. I shalll not be returning in the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Noony1109
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Pulled up here for a little lunch. Outside all was November rain and cold. Inside was a warm welcome and a wonderful blazing fire in the bar. We were given a warm welcome and sat down by the fireside. We scanned the two menus (one was more oriented towards bar food). Settled on a dish from each menu. Asked if we could vary the content of one. Not a problem. When the food came, it was lovely. Cooked to perfection using local produce. I'm afraid we eavesdropped a little on a group who were planning a luncheon party with the aid of the chef. He obviously had passion and knowledge and a genuine interest in the customer.

We left replete and very happy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and found the staff incredibly welcoming and helpful. Our room I suspect was one of the best and it was very comfortable and tasteful. The breakfasts definitely stood out as beng worthy of mention, with lots of extra treats; caramelised bananas, delicious plums and divine chocolate pots in addition to the usual hearty English breakfast fare.

It is right beside Dartmoor for a bracing Sunday walk to blow the cobwebs away. We would have to disagree with some comments below as we found it very good value for money for a lovely traditional English country pub B&B welcome with above average food.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sausagefiend
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A couple of weeks ago we found ourselves on Dartmoor and decided to have lunch before we went for a walk. This pub was convenient for our location, so we popped in for a light lunch. We were the only people there and sat, initially, in a room toward the back of the property but it was really quite creepy. Quite dark, old tatty furniture and smelt musty. So, we moved to the front of the bar which was a much improved location although we still felt uncomfortable and it is difficult to say why.

We asked for the lunch menu and were given two menus, a very pretentious expensive a la carte/2-3 course menu and a bar menu - which had strange options like twice fried chip butty for about £5. We decided on burger and chips which were £9.95 each. The burger itself was of good quality and served in a bun with a mushroom and posh roasted tomato plus a medium sized portion of chips. It was OK but for a lunch, pub bar meal it was - however - over priced in our view. Especially when you think you do pay for the atmosphere - of which we felt absolutely none! If it wants to be a gastro-pub it really needs to do more than add a posh bit of garnish and, I think, the fact that only one other couple came in during the hour and a half we were there illustrates this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keswick
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed at the Dartmoor Inn for two nights because it was our 10th wedding anniversary.

Location: We wanted to go walking and the location of the Inn was good for this with the moor and some tors just behind it. It is also close to Lydford Gorge which we highly recommend for adults and older children. The Inn was easy to get to being not to far from the A30.

Our room (Brocade): It was nice but even though we'd seen the picture on the website not quite as expected. We were disappointed with the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room especially for £120 per night. It was very spacious as was the en suite. Although the window was looking onto the road the owners have done a good job of making it quiet by putting in secondary glazing which was good and worked really well. The theme of the room, and the whole Inn come to that, seems to be of old style recycled furniture, which although unexpected, worked. We really liked the style and for me that's saying something as it's not usually my cup of tea. There is a tele but it's very small and you can hardly see it from the bed. The bed was very comfy

Dinner: It was nice. It was really nice BUT expensive. You don't get much either. It's posh nosh. My fillet steak came with chips and vegetables. The veg was a giant mushroom, half a tomato and a piece of garlic for £23. My wife had a different dish though and she says it was plenty for her. Service was good and friendly.

Breakfast: EXCELLENT. Really good. I had bacon and egg, which was just that but we also got toast, granola, chocolate pots, fruit, orange juice, and tea or coffee so that was plenty to me.

Overall: We REALLY enjoyed our stay. Yes there was a few minor points but it didn't ruin our stay. Would we go again...YES but only as a really special treat due to price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went for lunch here on a weekday 3 or 4 weeks ago and I have been struggling to work up enough interest to write a review. Ever since this rather unprepossessing local pub got "made over" some 10 years(?) ago, the jury has been very much out among local, non-staying, diners. The general opinion is that it is over-priced for what it is. Anyway, we booked, but needn't have bothered; there was one elderly couple having lunch in the bar and that was it. The owner was perfectly pleasant and friendly and after a decent wait a young and rather flustered waitress ushered us into the dining room (obviously not touched since the original make-over and looking quite tired, as was the bar area). We sat ourselves down at a table for two under the window, and were moved to a rather dark corner table next to it. We asked ourselves afterwards why on earth we didn't insist on staying where we were, as we were the only people in the restaturant throughout. The menu was short, but moderately interesting. We opted on this occasion for a main and a pudding, and were given a very pleasant (but can't remember what it was) freebie soup in a glass, which was as well, given the size of the main courses. They were elaborately described, but very small, and we do not have huge appetites or like or expect piled up plates. My duck "on a bed of courgettes" had one minute courgette sliced lengthwise under the slices of duck. My husband had a stewed beef dish with again a miscroscopic quantity of whatever vegetable it was served with. It was perfectly fine, tasty, and hot, although serving the two of us seemed to strain the waitress somewhat. Mine host was conducting full volume conversation in the bar with one other customer, the beer delivery man, anyone on the phone and briefing the staff on some function. Given how quiet the place was, it was quite intrusive. The puddings we had were very nice, even if I can't now remember what they were! We quite often lunch out locally and try to compare like with like; generally we have a modest pre-meal drink, either a starter and main or main and pudding, and a glass of wine (or maybe two) with the meal. Sometimes we have coffee. This meal cost at least £10 more than similar local gastro pubs (ie the Peter Tavy Inn) although to be fair the food was of a slightly different type. There was nothing wrong with it, but really it doesn't represent good value for money given its less than pretty position and general appearance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cornwallgurl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydford
Gidleigh Park
Fox and Hounds Hotel
Fox and Hounds Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lydford
Heathergate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Dartmoor Inn? Share your experiences!