Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa
$67
PremierInn.com
$110
$93
Bovey Castle Hotel(North Bovey)
$298
$290
Hotels.com
Cockhaven Arms(Bishopsteignton)
$100
The White Hart Hotel(Moretonhampstead)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblue tigerdining roomsteam roomcream teaexcellent foodbeautiful locationcountry housemain restaurantwarm welcomeshort breakleisure facilitiesrelaxing breakwedding anniversarymany thanksnothing is too much troubleevening mealafternoon tea
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I was thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness, service, food and location of the hotel. The staff were extremely friendly-from the warm welcome at reception to the waiters that served my delicious breakfast-nothing was too much trouble. My room was well furnished, with great facilities and immaculately clean. The food was fantstic and, I think, locally sourced, which is always a bonus. There was lots of choice for breakfast (I'd recommend the fish) and again served by polite, friendly, yet unobstrusive staff.

The location of the hotel was ideal, a stones throw from Haytor, with panoramic views of the Moors. It's nestled away in a little village, so delightfully quiet yet suprisingly easy to get to.

All in all we had a wonderfully relaxing trip-I would highly recommend and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My sister & I wanted to treat our Mum this year, she had just lost her younger sister and was upset. Firstly there was no waiter consistency so we keep being asked the same questions i.e. would you like another drink etc.Secondly the grand piano that was being played was delightful but too loud. Spelling error on menu.Thirdly. The 2 course meal for £16.95 included tea or coffee, I don't drink either so asked if I could have a juice instead. 1st waiter said he would find out (didn't return) 2nd waiter said "yes". When the bill came we were charged for juice, when we questioned it, they argued!! over a £3 juice.
Finally. When we got home they has charged us for the 3 course meal (£19.95). They did credit my credit card and apologised but we really didn't expect all this hassle from the lovely hotel..
We were going to book Christmas but for £80 per head that would be a chance. Not Happy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Richard H, Owner at Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Ms Scagell,

Thank you for taking the time to write and I have to say I am surprised at your comments given that I saw you throughout the meal and afterwards to show you our Christmas menus. You had said after lunch how wonderful it was and given the experience you would hope to come at Christmas. I was also at Reception when you paid and merely explained it wasn't normal to substitute coffee for other drinks and that is probably why there was some confusion with staff. Brewed filter coffee is a lot cheaper to supply than Luscombe organic lemonade. We also served around 150 people and so there may have been the odd inconsistency although we had fantastic feedback on the day.

What I think is really sad about this review is that there is no mention about the positive points that you talked to me about afterwards (the food, the décor, the ambience etc). I feel that when you learnt the cost of the Christmas Day lunch, it somehow turned you against us.

I think it's a great shame and we are sorry that we won't be able to welcome you back again.

Kind regards,

Richard Hassell

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We organised a 4 night break away for a group of 16 friends and we couldn't have been treated any better. The hotel was extremely comfortable, very warm and welcoming. The staff very courteous and friendly, nothing was too much trouble and the food was superb. Even if going as just a couple it is probably the best place to stay in Devon, we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a suite which was very comfortable. Our group had different sized rooms but everyone said how comfortable the beds were and also the pillows which is quite unusual in some hotels.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Short stop whilst wandering across Dartmoor- what a gem. Excellent lunch on the patio in the sun, with great views and service. Highly recommended.
All great value , the salads were particularly fresh, with quality ingredients- just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Even a wet weekend in January couldn't dampen the lovely feel of this country house. The room was small but extremely adequate and the bathroom huge!
The staff were friendly and the morning breakfast was lovely and locally sourced.
The gym was really good and had everything we would want, was just a bit weird going outside to the outbuilding where the gym and pool are held but that wasn't a big deal.

The attached Blue Tiger had really really good food and we recommend it.

We would definately visit again, a lovely house in beautiful surroundings. I can imagine summers here are amazing!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple