“Beautiful character-laden country house hotel”

Ilsington Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ilsington
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful character-laden country house hotel”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Went to a charity wine challenge last night with my wife. Great fun, lovely food and our room right at the top of the hotel was a delight. Breakfast this morning was all you could ask for. Will definitely do it again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

went to dip n dine and have to say the facilities are so dated. The pool is like a paddling pool in a shed. The changing rooms awful. Very old hot tub and the steam room need replacing. Will not return waste of £10...

2 Thank wolky9
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was our first time in a hotel with our 4 yr Labradoodle. Naturally we were a little apprehensive but the hotel staff made us very welcome. We stayed in a ground floor room which had all amenities you would expect and a very good shower and free WiFi The restaurant served an excellent dinner and you can find a decent bottle of wine for £20.The famous Haytor Rock is only a few minutes drive away. The walk to the top is well worth the effort. The views are quite simply breath taking.We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Esher
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I took a party of 30 to Ilsington for a reunion for three nights. Everyone was really pleased with hotel in every way. Friendly and efficient staff, first rate facilities, comfortable beds and excellent food.

Newport
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very comfortable, friendly and helpful staff.The staff could also arrange for our walking boots to be dried out which is not offered in all hotels. Our meals were really excellent throughout our long weekend stay, portions are modestly sized but for us just right and menus are very varied and imaginative. We would certainly like to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our twin room was adequate in size but not as big as big as some might wish for.
Lyme Regis
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a two day break away from it all by coming here to this beautiful country house hotel. Everyone was friendly, helpful and efficient, the rooms were clean, spacious and in keeping with the hotel. The reception lounges and seating areas were plentiful, relaxing and delicious to sink into a while away the hours in the sun. Plenty of outside sitting areas and the grounds were beautifully kept.
Sitting by the lake/pond was fab in the glorious autumn sun as it was sitting on the terrace having a cocktail or so with lunch.
The health spa was great, lovely warm heated pool, excellent gym, for those who want to be more active if not walking across the glorious moors, a excellent Jacuzzi,sauna and steam room. Someone there to provide towels etc and to help you in any way they can, thank you. Lots of people using the pool etc from the local community and a teacher for the kids to learn to swim, however never feeling on top of each other, very good.
The views from the big windows across the moors and the tors was amazing.
Food both in the hotel and in the bar was absolutely fab, so tasty, so delicious and plentiful. The chef (s) are amazing and keep up to date with all the trends.
I loved the smokey capsules with the salmon and the on site smoker produced the best smoked products ever. Well done, all so fab.
If only we could have extended our stay, but hubby had to go to work.
He did spend a morning, hidden away in the library working and coffee arriving to keep him happy.
The massages from the lady who comes to the hotel to provide this wonderful service was excellent and with a great choice of aromatherapy oils to choose from.
I shall be saving up to come again and thoroughly recommend this place to all, walkers, the active and us not so active. Plenty to see and do with scrumptious food and lovely staff.
The Christmas and New Year packages look excellent as does the mouth-wateringly good menu and if we could we would be there. Being there in the snow would be magical.
Thank you to all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Now, we holiday in a our touring caravan because we can be assured of comfort, cleanliness, quality of food etc etc etc...so it was with great trepidation that on my families recommendation I take my wife here for bed, breakfast and evening meal to celebrate her 40th Birthday....I wish I'd booked the weekend.

We had read several of the other reviews, including the one about the barbed wire (what nonsense!!!), and felt that the Ilsington was worth a try.

The approach is picturesque, clean, tidy and mature...a great setting, plenty of parking.

The staff greeted us with smiles, help was available for luggage (we didn't need it), everything was clearly explained then we were directed to our room.

The room (superior), big, loads of space, yes the two singles were pushed together, but you'd never have known if you hadn't noticed. The bedding was wonderful...lush heavy throws, beautiful crisp sheets and pillow cases. Bath robes and towels were supplied, as were plenty of bathroom sundries. There was plenty of tea and coffee within the room, as well as flapjacks and mineral water. The information welcome pack was clear and uncompilcated. A large clear TV and remote was in the room which was more than adequate. Wifi is a little patchy, but free, and once connected, almost as good as home, there was no need to log in every time. Being connected is important to us, but the odd disconnection in no way detracted from our experience.

Facilities. The lounge and Tiger Bar are great, we spent our evening in the lounge, great atmosphere, comfy seats, plenty of literature to read and a few games. The grounds are well kept, chickens are amusing. The spa area has a gym, small pool, steam room,sauna and Jacuzzi...all of which we used except the Gym. Towels a plenty on request. There are a lack of markings on the pool floor and sides, which make it hard when swimming to determine the end of the pool. The area is clean and well tended.

Food...Gorgeous...We are good home cooks, and are often disappointed with food we are served, hence we rarely eat out, and rather buy and cook pheasant, duck, parrot fish etc ourselves!!
We were asked to sit in the lounge before dinner where we were served drinks, nibbles and given a menu. In good time we placed our order, I asked for the Partridge, but with the Duck accompaniment, this was done for me with pleasure. The starter of calves liver was so good, I had another after my main (this raised an eyebrow)! My wife had the goats cheese spring roll, this too was excellent.
The deserts were extremely good also. Again we note the comments of small portions, but really, the three course meal was more than enough, it was greed and flavour that persuaded me to order an extra starter.
The breakfast had all of the usual items, and then some. All were fresh, cold (not stood around), and the full English breakfast was excellent.

The staff made us feel welcome, they were all friendly but courteous, not over the top and false.

Now I must feel that I should address the décor. I have noted that on some of the reviews about dated décor, cleanliness etc. I for one don't decorate my home every year, and I have the odd repair that needs making, so for the price I paid for my visit, I was more than comfortable with the odd blemish in our room, and I was more than happy with the cleanliness too. I ran my finger on top of the wardrobe and architrave....all clean! If I'd have wanted an absolutely spotless up to date modern hotel I'm in no doubt that I would have to quadruple the price, I'd have to worry about touching anything, and I may not have felt so quite at home. I didn't concern us that the carpets were not spotless, this is an area that supports walkers and people that enjoy the outside, and unfortunately this outside will find its way inside.

The cost of bed breakfast and three course evening meal was about £250, which included an extra starter and several drinks. I felt that it was worth the money (and we can site our caravan for 2 weeks for this price), and will have no hesitation in recommending, or booking up again.

I look forward to our return, and be assured, I am no easy person to please.

Room Tip: We had room 16, and will ask for this room again.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Richard H, Owner at Ilsington Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Sirkitchalott,

It is hugely gratifying that our 100th 'Excellent' review on Tripadvisor is such a comprehensive and detailed one! You have highlighted everything we set out to achieve at Ilsington and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay for your wife's 40th birthday. We are not perfect, but try our hardest to give all our guests a genuinely happy and pleasant experience. What made this review even more gratifying to our staff is that the night before your stay we received a Gold Award for Hotel of the Year in South Devon's Tourism Awards which is another endorsement of their hard work and commitment. Many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ilsington on another occasion.

Kind regards,

Richard Hassell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilsington
Bovey Castle Hotel
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
The Dartmoor Lodge
The Dartmoor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Ashburton

Been to Ilsington Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!