We chose this hotel because of the good reviews, and because where reviewers noted a concern, that was addressed by the management in a comment, so we felt they were keen to iron out any little difficulties, and we would be staying somewhere where personal attention would be paid to visitors. We also chose the hotel for its facilities, its location, and the ability to bring the dog.
We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a stunning location, with fabulous views from every room, also, as it is off a small country lane, it is quiet, which is blissful! The rooms are of a reasonable size, immaculately cleaned daily, with tea/coffee etc, and everything replenished daily, including towels.
The breakfast had to be one of the highlights of our stay. Sitting in the bay window, in full sunshine, fabulous view, with fresh croissants and full English for the other half, has to be one of the biggest pleasures in life. We didn't eat in the dining room, but the hotel has a bistro, with excellent food, temptingly presented, and good service.
We used the health club facilities daily, including the gym and the jacuzzi.
Any complaints? If I was being really fussy, I would suggest that the health club needs a paint job, plus a reception desk that would hide a multitude of sins. Also, the bedside and bathroom lighting suffers from the curse of the low-wattage light, which makes reading interesting!
We used the hotel as our base for a walking holiday, and it was lovely to get back at the end of the day to comfort and good food! Fortunately, we picked the best week Devon had had for months, so were able to make full use of the conservatory and terrace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This highly rated country house hotel is set in 11 acres of private land within the boundaries of the Dartmoor National Park. Award winning food is served in the main Restaurant whilst the Blue Tiger Inn with its large sun terrace offers more informal dishes of excellent quality. Emphasis is on local produce and homemade creations.Beautiful new Spa opening early 2015 with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room, gym and indoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Ilsington Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ilsington Country Hotel
- Best Western Newton Abbot
- Hotel Ilsington Country
- Ilsington Country House Hotel Dartmoor National Park