Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
1,595 results
All reviews on site indoor pool hot tub woodland lodge horse riding the kitchen vip platinum vip lodge farm shop on arrival high ropes retreat restaurant changing rooms building work tennis courts great fun fishing lake
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay, relaxing location and a lovely property. It was very clean and well kitted out, a real home from home. Would be great for kids, although we didn’t have any with us. Being able to watch the birds on the bird feeder while eating breakfast in the morning was was unexpected bonus. 20 minute drive to Torquay and Paignton so close for beaches and cliff walks.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 01452
HaulfrynGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Finlake Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Hello 01452

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It's lovely to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Finlake.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

The resort features are great. Cabins are cosy, reasonably clean and have all amenities. The pool and gym are also good and above and beyond what you would expect from a similar resort.
The Retreat Restaurant is poor. Really expensive, cold food and miserable staff.
The room at the retreat is also very cold so take a jacket!

Reception staff- Rude, abrupt and unhelpful.
And as for the riding centre, don’t bother. What should be a nice experience, is ruined by.... yep, grumpy, rude and abrupt staff.

I’ve read a number of reviews on this page of a similar nature. Great facilities, but not very great staff. Finlake seriously need to get a grip of this.

Staff are either unhappy because of working conditions or Finlake has simply recruited badly.

You can have the shiniest most modern facility in the World, but good customer service is really important to people and if they don’t get it, they will simply go elsewhere. In a very competitive market, Finlake cannot afford to make such a mistake.

We all work hard for our money. Why should we hand it over to sour faced people for cold food or terrible service?

Trip type: Traveled with family
HaulfrynGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Finlake Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2020

Hello Tony1278

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at Finlake.

Thank you for your positive words regarding the overall facilities and park in general.

I am sorry if you found any of the team unhelpful. Customer Service is of course our number one priority and something that we are very aware must be right.

I am unable to speak to the riding stables as they are a separate business to Haulfryn/Finlake, however i will make sure that your feedback is passed on.

We have recently reviewed and amended our pricing in the Retreat so its disappointing to read that you still believed prices to be expensive. I will make sure that your feedback regarding the food is passed onto our F&B Manager.

Apologies if there were aspects of your holiday that did not meet expectations. we will continue to work hard in all areas to ensure a quality offering to all of our guests.

Many Thanks

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

Stayed at the resort, for a week, arriving a couple of days before the new year. Arrived just over an hour early, and received our accommodation straight away. Accommodation was nice, directly opposite the pool and bar, spent just about every night in the spa. At reception you will need your credit or debit card to link your wrist band to. This enables you to get into pool, and use lockers as well as pay for anything by contactless in shop or bar You can use your debit card to pay in the bar, however if you use your wristband, I believe you got a 10% discount, and it came out of you bank every day, as one payment and start again the next day. You will receive an email or txt to let you know how much you have spent. Would Def go again but would probably book privately with owners.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank Steve672015

Hello Steve672015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on you stay at Finlake.

We will try and release accommodation early if possible, so its pleasing to read that you managed to get into your lodge a little earlier than expected.

The Band system works as you have described and hopefully means that people do not have to carry as much cash around with them, plus giving a 10% discount when purchases are made

We hope to see you at Finlake again soon

Reviewed January 9, 2020

We arrived at Finlake on the 3rd luckily our lodge was ready as soon as we went to reception. There was a big que in reception but it did not take the girls long to decrease it. We then arrived okay our lodge with a hot tub. The lodge was tidy and cleanliness was definitely not up to my standards, I dried the floor due to the floor still being wet as my grandma would have came in and slipped so I dried with kitchen roll and it came up black, so whoever cleaned the floor must have been using some dirty water. This led me to be intrigued and I cleaned the toilet seat that was absolutely filthy too. The bedding was clean so were the towels. The heating worked very well at some points in the case of it got too warm. The hot tub well now when we arrived a lovely young hot tub assistant stated he had been trying to get the tub warm for 3 hours which gave us doubt but the hot tub we had no problems with at all throughout our stay they had lovely people coming round daily or every couple of days to test the ph and restore chlorine. The decking was an absolute mess it had not been-swept in such a long time there was so much ash, grit, leaves, and fag butts that had actually stuck an spread because they had been there for so long. There was an end of a broken wine glass down the side of the lodge and hot tub The umbrella that was left for use on the decking definitely was not waterproof we used it due to rain to cover us in the hot tub so we did not become unwell but it starting dripping and was soaked through let alone the mould green stains all over it disgusting ! . We took our pet a very happy behaved Spaniel but found Finlake didn’t really cater for pets so you need a lot of extra towels for muddy walks, dog blankets, dog bed and bowls. I think an accessible hosepipe would be ideal for lodges that accept pets so after walks they can be washed down to prevent any damage to the lodge we were very careful and was capable of lifting my dog inside and walk to the shower, some people won’t be and that’s not thought about. Wellie houses as well unless they were privately owned I did not see one outside storage space or wellie Hut in any of the park lodges! It would be a good idea seeing this retreat is in the middle of the woods.
The bar the first night we went for a drink and noticed my favourite lager ordered 2 pints for myself and partner whilst waiting for my mum an grandmas the 2 pints sat there dead as anything no gas at all I waited to see if the bar man would correct this or even pay attention to notice he didn’t until I said something he then seemed very unsure on what he had to do or what he could do about that he just said oh sorry I had to ask to change it I had to speak to his work colleague and say it’s flat what are you going to do which he replied I need to check the gas I asked for another drink and went away because I was so shocked at the lack of customer service in such an expensive holiday park. The bar also turned their hot water off at about 9pm for some reason? What about the elderly and their tea! The hairdressers H&Co were amazing I had my hair done so professional and relaxing. The spa oh my it was just wonderful gorgeously decorated, gorgeous girls working to all
with a smile and so chatty to everyone seemed like they always went out of their way. My grandma is in a wheelchair just due to lack of mobility and even though the sites states it’s not wheelchair friendly it’s the woods that isn’t and the entrance/exit hill. Most places I could cope pushing my grandma round.
We decided to extend our stay due to no commitments so we managed to get a Tesco food delivery to our lodge as a family we have no car so we had to taxi it there and back but I definitely would not go without a car ever again!!!!! You think the site would have a shop that would hold enough stock and variety for the size of this site! What would happen if people were snowed in and no one can leave or enter the site because of the hill. They definitely need a big farm shop or corner shop similarity. The last full day of our trip being today has been so sad due to safety of this park yet again! Wednesday 8th January PM some lovely lady lost the life of her beautiful fur baby named fizz, we were in our lodge at deer park and heard a dog screeching for help then we heard voices shouting we instantly put our wellies and coats on to go and help due to our doggy being an escape artist we know how it feels, we headed down to the noise at lake side and met a group of people searching for this doggy and one distraught owner, it was pitch black down there our phone torches would only cover light for a few foot steps ahead of us we all continued searching and tried our very hardest until the dog search team were called in to assist they found and located the poor doggy in the lake very sadly too late and had past away, I made sure security was aware about this from the start he was very unhelpful and didn’t even say on the phone do you need anything from me do you need assistance, which I thought was absolutely shocking because I have done the same job role for the last 6 years and I know he should have been assisting Incase of any injuries at the lake even if he just said about a good torch I’ll pop out on patrol to let you borrow my torch or we have this equipment here nothing like that I consider it absolutely disgraceful. Me and my family will not be returning a visit here which is such a shame because I was so peaceful here, the reason why is purely just because of little things i.e you arrive here reception don’t want to deal with you again till you leave. When we extended our stay for another 4 nights after already being here 3 they never asked if we would like the lodge cleaned or if we needed fresh towels nothing at all I had to request towels I tried to request toilet roll one time because the hub shop had none and we were stuck with no shops but unfortunately because it’s self catering they would provide us with any or even let my buy some of themselves.
The main priorities of finlake need to be sorted -
Bigger shop
Lighting in the playing fields, the whole of the lake area and pathways.
Safety
A lovely little fur baby could have well been saved or had a chance if safety was considered in thought down at the lake area.

Trip type: Traveled with family
HaulfrynGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Finlake Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Hello Ress1234

We apologize if there were aspects of your stay that did not meet expectations.

We hold ourselves to high cleaning standards and its disappointing to hear that there were cleanliness issues with your lodge. We encourage our guests to report any issues and the team can often get them sorter right away.

All of our lodges are privately owned, and due to the nature of a self catering holiday items such a dog beds, water bowls and towels for pets need to be brought by holidaymakers.
I will pass your feedback onto the relevant manager regarding the Retreat. i can only suggest that the team member that served you may have been new to the role and was still learning. Any new job requires an amount of time to learn the role and we ask for a level of understanding whilst new team members become more confident.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the salon and spa, i will ensure that this feedback is passed onto the spa manager.
Our on site shop stock the essential items that people may need or have forgotten when they come on holiday. There is a village just down the road that has a co op and Spa, and deliveries can be made to the park from larger supermarkets.
The situation with the dog is very sad indeed. Having spoken to our Security team i am aware that they did attend the lake and helped to look for the dog.
I have spoken to the owner of the dog myself when taking flowers to her at the lodge she is staying in and to offer our condolences.

Again, we are sorry that there were aspects of your holiday that did not meet expectations this time but do hope that you return to Finlake again in future.

Many thanks

Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

*FINLAKE IS AMAZING BUT BOOK WITH AN OWNER NOT WITH HOSEASONS*

We are currently staying at Finlake in Chudleigh. Booked direct with yourselves and Thanks to the staff on reception and yourselves you have ruined our holiday! We have been coming here at least twice a year since 2013 and we usually love it. We are coming for a week on May and can’t wait for that. We book direct and our normal lodge was booked so we had to book via Hoseasons. We arrived yesterday to a beautiful lodge and were really happy. We used the hot tub and it didn’t seem to be holding its temperature but it was late so we left it. This morning it was 30 degrees so far too cold. We set it to heat and went to use the pool as our two children wanted to go swimming. We got back and at 3pm it was still cold. The maintenance people came said will come back in an hour so we went the park and basically it was broken and an engineer would take a week. This obviously wasn’t good. We were offered the chance to move. The lodge you have given us is awful. Absolutely shocking! Not at all what we paid for and the reception staff said this or nothing. There is no bath. No second shower. It’s half the size. No dishwasher (even tho housekeeping have left a tablet) it is more like a basic caravan. They have even taken the stones out of the fire and batteries out of the tv remote?! It was this or have no hot tub for the rest of our stay so we really didn’t have a choice! Having to move in the dark at 5pm with two hungry children to this??! Awful. We will be sending a formal email of complaint and won’t be booking with Hoseasons again. This is the worst lodge we have had here. We are really not happy at all.

Trip type: Traveled with family
HaulfrynGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Finlake Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2020

Hello 348staceyg

We are sorry that you were not happy with your accommodation. As you know we have refunded you 45% of what you paid.

Unfortunately, on occasion things do go wrong. The hot tub not holding its temperature was one of these occasions.

When we offered you a move you said that the hot tub was the main reason for booking. After every booking the hot tubs are drained, cleaned and refilled. As you can image on a large park that can take some time to do. When we checked the only lodge available with a hot tub was the one we moved you to.

We have passed your comments and feedback onto the Housekeeping Team. we are also in the process reviewing the accommodation we offer. As you know most of the holiday homes and lodges are privately owned and sublet by the owners.

We can assure you that this is not our usual high standard that we strive for.

We look forward to welcoming you back in May.