We have just returned from an excellent week's stay at Finlake. We are 2 adults and 2 children (aged 10 and 7).
Accommodation - We booked one of the 2 Bedroom Country Lodges (VIP) through Hoseasons. It was extremely clean and well equipped, the only minor issue we had was that we found that there was not enough cupboard space in the kitchen, which was due to a full size fridge, freezer and dishwasher. We think this lodge may be privately owned so I guess you have to accept that others prefer all of the the mod cons and therefore some thing else has to give. We soon got used to the cereal boxes, etc. being on the side. We paid a bit extra for the VIP version so that we could also have use of the private hot tub. We're glad we did as having this extra was a real luxury for us.
Activities - We are used to staying in Center Parcs, therefore one of the reasons we chose Finlake was for the activities. There aren't as many activities as Center Parcs, but this didn't bother us as the Activity Staff were brilliant and made everything fun for the kids (and us adults too!). The activities are reasonably priced, and some are free (swimming and tennis/pitch and putt, if you have your own equipment). Advice is to book the activities in advance if you can before the actual day. If you are a family, I would throughly recommend doing the raft building together, but be prepared to get wet!
The kids also made use of the Riding School and Tree Top/Climbing School which are run under different management, but are on site. Both activities and staff were great and also reasonably priced.
Entertainment - We only watched the Wild Show which is a show where a member of a local zoo shows off some wild animals. My 7 year old loved this. The same man then also did games for the kids. Again, this was thoroughly enjoyed by my 7 year old. We didn't watch any of the other entertainment, therefore I am unable to comment on this.
Food - We ate a few times in the on-site restaurant. The restaurant has been refurbished and the food is very good. Can be a little bit more expensive than your local pub/restaurant, but you would expect that for convenience. My advice is to book in advance if you can as certain nights can be very busy (i.e. Carvery or Chinese Night).
Cleanliness - I have to say that the site was spotless. There was always members of staff, cleaning and maintaining the site. I must just point out that certain accommodations are on hills, therefore if you have a pushchair or wheelchair that you have to push, be prepared for a bit of hard work.
Staff - All staff were very friendly and gave everyone a welcome.
Shop - There is only a Farm Shop on site. This tends to sell local produce along with newspapers and fresh bread. If you are after anything branded, then I suggest you either bring it with you or venture out (a Tesco Superstore is about 15 mins away).
Beauticians - Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to book any treatments (although I would have like to), therefore cannot comment on this.
In summary, we had a very enjoyable holiday (even though it did rain a couple of times)and the kids have said they prefer this even to going a abroad! We liked it so much that we hope to return next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located on the edge of Dartmoor yet still close to stunning beaches, Finlake combines 130 acres of magnificent Devon countryside, miles of beautiful woods, an abundance of wildlife and outstanding leisure facilities to create the perfect holiday location.At Haulfryn Finlake we offer an exclusive range of caravans and lodges for the discerning holiday home owner, as well as fantastic short break holiday getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Haulfryn Finlake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haulfryn Finlake Hotel Chudleigh
- Haulfryn Finlake Chudleigh, Devon