“Very quite and friendly”
Review of Glen Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chudleigh
Glen Cottage
Ranked #4 of 6 Chudleigh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed just one night while passing on business, It is situated down a little dark lane, but I was pleasantly surprised, a warm friendly welcome a large room and a great breakfast, I would certainly stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy R

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights at this delightful B and B last April. Formerly the master's house of the adjacent worked out quarry it has an idyllic setting with a lake and stream running through the grounds. We had a large comfortable room with a 4 poster bed and views out on to a cliff at the top of which was a perigrine falcons' nest. We occasionally caught sight of the falcons on the wing as well as a heron fishing in the lake..Mrs Shears is an excellent host and provides hearty breakfasts. All this at a very reasonable price together with it's proximity to Dartmoor, the coast and other tourist attractions make for high recommendation.

Room Tip: Both sides have good views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was our first stay here and we stayed for 5 nights. If you want an excellent B&B in a fascinating 17th century building, then this is the place for you, especially if you are interested in wildlife. Peregrine Falcons, Kingfishers, Herons and Foxes have all been seen here. We saw the Falcon on several occasions and heard an owl one night. The owners, Terry & Jill, are a welcoming, friendly Devonian couple who run the B&B on an informal basis. The room we had was very comfortable (one of two four-poster bed rooms available) with a great view of the grounds. Room rates are very reasonable and represent very good value in our opinion. The breakfast each day was wonderful with a wide choice of cereal, fruit juice, yoghurt, toast and a lovely cooked breakfast which Jill will adapt willingly to your choice. Jill’s homemade marmalade and jam were superb too. We recommend Glen Cottage and we will be looking to stay there again on our future trips to Devon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front have good views of the grounds.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had an excellent time there and beleive it Jill is such an excellent host. We went there in a group of three families, and we enjoyed every bit of our stay there.
Breakfast was so good with all kind of varied stuff.
In short the best B&B with such a reasonable tarriff.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sadiq W
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Well I needed a place to stay in the area due to work and this place was great. So much so I have been back several times and I think I have been in every room. Most rooms have ensuite but a good bathroom is central upstairs.
The property is set in a super location and very easy to get to from the main road between Exeter and Plymouth.
Glen Cottage would make a good base for visiting a wide range of attractions that Devon has to offer from the moors to the coast or if you want shopping well Exeter with all its history or Plymouth with its maritime history.
Please note this place is not a flash hotel and does not claim to be. It is a Home and when you visit you are made to feel as if you are family by the host.
I have seen some comments on here and I know we are all differant but I got to know the host quite well over the course around 13 months. The host Terry and Jill as they wished to be called could not be any more in the know about the area, that has so many people from away moving into this area and retireing. Terry who reached retirement age a few years ago was born in this house so I am sorry to say knows a lot of history and was willing to share this with me over a cup of tea sat in front of a log fire with some of Jills cake.
I would recomend this B&B to anyone if you like a place with some atmosphire. But remember it is an old place so maybe sound could be an issue but it is located at the end of the road so no road noise.
If you do decide to visit ask Terry to let you into some of the things that went on in the past.
I myself have spent time on business and leasure here.

Room Tip: I have put some photos from various time I stayed. I must go back again soon.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was the most amazing house we ever seen, straight from any old English film. We had two four-poster bed rooms with kitchen and lounge between us. Could stay there much longer than our two nights and explore the surroundings, walks, inns nature. The hosts were suitably casual and relaxed but professional as was the housekeeping. Planning a walking trip with a group of friends sometime to return to this amazing old house.

Room Tip: The two four-poster bed rooms were huge and if with friends, the sharing of the kitchen and the loun...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raija2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We're in our 70s and after many years experience of B&B we can do no more than heartily recommend Glen Cottage. Jill and Terry are delightful hosts and this impression is enhanced by their informal and friendly approach to their guests.

The 'Cottage' is situated in an old overgrown craggy quarry where peregrine falcons and kingfishers are to be seen. The extensive informal gardens are delightful and it is difficult to imagine anything more peaceful.

On first arrival you may be disturbed by a view of old vehicles in need of repair but please set that impression aside - proceed and you will enter the realms of a real gem.
We would entirely agree with the previous and favourable reviews of Glen Cottage.

Room Tip: We were shown around all the rooms by Jill. If the rest of the rooms are as comfortable as room 6 th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple