“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Highwaymans Haunt

Highwaymans Haunt
Reserve with OpenTable
Highwaymans Haunt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Chudleigh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Highwayman's Haunt is a traditional country inn with its origins dating back to the 13th Century. Nestled in 4 acres of garden and paddocks, just on the outskirts of the town of Chudleigh, the Inn has beautiful views looking out over the Devon hills. Sit back and enjoy your drink, and a meal maybe, whilst the children can play on our purpose built play tower situated on the lawns. With a warm welcome for all - including your dogs, even your horse!Families and 'mucky boot' friendly...we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Exeter
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a good experience here, which after reading some of the other earlier reviews, turned out better than I thought it might. Good outside seating area (except the broken sun umbrella - please fix or remove) I wasn't over impressed with the decor and furnishings inside but it was ok. My Morrocan lamb was lovely, spicy, tender and lots of it and the cous cous was very tasty. My friend had salmon with glass noodles. The salmon was a bit on the small side but he enjoyed his choice. Desserts were very nice. Overall I would visit again. Good to know they serve food all day too.

Visited August 2013

Isle of Anglesey
“Excellent!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Whilst visiting family in Chudleigh we decided to have a "pub" meal. Late in the day, we rang to see if they could accommodate 14 adults. The answer was yes, and off we went to the Highwayman's Haunt. The building itself is beautiful and well appointed. The staff were polite, helpful and jolly.We were provided with tables in a side room, thus allowing us the opportunity to chat amongst ourselves. Food was excellent, good variety available, very tasty, well presented, and large portions too.
The management and staff should be very proud of themselves, they provide an amazing service. Will very definitely be back soon.

“Quite a surprise!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

When my boyfriend first suggested coming here for a nice Sunday lunch, I was a bit reluctant as I knew it had been taken over by new management and hadn't received the best reviews about it, but I gave it a try anyway as I had never been here before.
We walked in and were greeted with nice young lady who found us a table (we hadn't booked as it was a last minute decision). She informed us that it needed to cleared and set up as the other couple using it had just left, so she suggested going to the bar and ordering drinks which we did. As soon as we had received them she kindly showed us to our table and gave us the normal lunch menu and the Sunday lunch menu. I'll admit there wasn't a huge amount of choice but I was quite happy with what they had to offer.
About 5-10 minutes after ordering, our food arrived which I was impressed with, especially as it was so nicely presented.
The food was also delicious but a tiny bit pricey for what it was (£10 odd for the Sunday roast which included the meat, potatoes and a small dish of veg) but saying that you do pay for the service as well which was brilliant.
After we had finished, our plates were taken and we were offered the dessert board (of course I said yes!). I had the chocolate fudge cake with honeycomb ice cream which was sooo yummy! And my boyfriend had the Eton mess which he also loved.

Overall it is a bit pricey but the location and staff are brilliant so I'd say it's worth paying the price

Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Dog friendly restaurant”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The pub itself is a really old building, perhaps 13/14th Century, and is full of character with a pleasant outside area to the rear. They let us take our dog into the bar, which gained them brownie points to start with as many places don't. The service was good and we had a decent lunch at a reasonable price.

UK
“Under new management....what a shame”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went here last year on several occasions and were really impressed with the food, location and service. We turned up again last week to find the pub under new management. It had a chain pub feel from the outside, and this didn't get any better once we were inside. The food menu has reverted to extremely dull choices, especially the children's menu, which I take as a marker of how good the adults menu can expect to be. Chips with everything. No friendly feel to the place as there was last year. OK, the location is still lovely and we didn't try the food as we were so disappointed by the choices, so it may be fine. Not the special place it was unfortunately.

• Visited July 2013