“A night to remember!”

Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Chagford
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set majestically on the bubbling upper reaches of the River Teign, Gidleigh Park enjoys an exquisite location on the very edge of Dartmoor National Park. At the heart of the hotel, the elegant and intimate two Michelin-starred restaurant provides a sophisticated backdrop to Executive Chef, Michael Wignall's decadent tasting and à la carte menus. One of the most respected chefs in the UK, Michael Wignall has won Michelin stars in every kitchen he has headed since being awarded his first star in 1993. Michael is famed for his respect for food and an ever evolving style which creates unique dishes full of flavour and underpinned by a contemporary, less formal approach to fine cuisine. Describing his food as ‘modern, technical and meaningful’, each element features to add flavour or texture, enticing diners to experience new combinations and ingredients complemented by vegetables and herbs picked from Gidleigh Park’s own kitchen garden. Matching the high standards in the kitchen, Gidleigh Park’s internationally renowned wine cellar accommodates over 1,300 bins and 13,000 bottles from around the world. Home to a selection of European, New World and Bio Dynamic wines, the cellar offers one of the most impressive wine lists in the British Isles. Join us for lunch, afternoon tea or dinner and enjoy your choice of tasting or à la carte menus, dedicated to the finest seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Gidleigh Park is one of our favourite restaurants and one of our favourite hotels in this country. We have lunched here a number of times but in December 2012 and again in June 2013 we stayed overnight as part of a special 'Evening with Michael Caines' package (by no means cheap but worth every penny). This time it was for a black tie dinner with special tasting menu with matched champagnes (from Perrier Jouet). When we arrived we were greeted with the news that our room had been upgraded - last time our room was very good, this one was superb. The grounds are beautiful with a stream running in front of the hotel - it's idyllic. When we attended our first 'Evening with Michael Caines' we didn't think he'd spend much time with us but we were wrong - he spent a considerable time explaining why and how he had cooked each course just popping out to ensure each course was perfect - and it was. It is no surprise he has 2 Michelin stars. One small niggle though, once again the cooked breakfast was not very warm and there were only a handful of diners so there was really no excuse. This is not really good enough and hopefully this has been dealt with by now. I did give feedback after our stay. The wine list here is vast and impressive and we took advantage of a tour of the cellar (which the staff are quite happy to give) before we travelled home. We will be back.

Damien B, General Manager at Gidleigh Park Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Linda D

It is so nice to hear you have enjoyed your visits to us in the past and of course your most recent stay with us last June. I am glad you have also had the opportunity to spend time with Michael, he is such a busy man but really enjoys being able to talk to our guests especially when it is on the subject of food and wine which are his great passions.
I am also very pleased you enjoyed your room we do try to upgrade where possible and it is so pleasing to hear you liked it.
With regards to your breakfast I must apologise, this should have not been the case and of course we will take it very seriously as staying at Gidleigh is all about the complete package, all elements must be perfect.
I thank you for taking the time to write this review and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Gidleigh Park Restaurant

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We had another perfect lunch at Gidleigh today, celebrating my wife's birthday. All of the food in the "winter lunch" was excellent as well as all the extra dishes, and the service was just right as usual. The only thing missing was bumping into Damien B who runs such a fine show, but he deserves the occasional holiday!

Dear Nogegg

I am so pleased to hear that once again you enjoyed your visit to Gidleigh Park, It is always nice to have familiar faces come and visit us.
I am sorry not to have been there to say hello but its great to know you think I deserve a holiday now and then, that is very reassuring.
I am glad you found the service to be to the usual high standard and it is superb to hear you enjoyed the Winter lunch menu.
I very much hope I get the chance to welcome you back some time in 2014
Regards

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Have visited the restaurant a couple of times and been for coffee. Excellent food and drink catering to higher end of market.

Damien B, Manager at Gidleigh Park Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Shish57

Thank you very much for writing your review on Gidleigh Park.
I am very pleased to hear you have visited us on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed the experience, that is very good to hear,
I hope we will get the chance to welcome you back in 2014

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Hello,

I took my mum for dinner here on Mother's day in March 2013, and sadly every course was overworked, underflavoured, and was a really sad testament to what the want for Michelin stars, and the desire to be current can do to food.

There was very little soul to the food. On both the starter and main I had pointless, overcooked haricot beans scattered/placed over the plate. For what purpose?

The fried quail's eggs on my starter appeared to have been left under the hot plate for too long and were congealed upon the dishes arrival. Also the dishes didn't seem to be particularly inspired or coherent either.

I would have loved to love this place, I couldn't.

1  Thank Adam W
Damien B, General Manager at Gidleigh Park Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Adam W

I am very sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with us back in March 2013 that it has prompted you to leave us such an unfavourable review now.
We of course take all feedback constructively and are continually looking to improve our offering, Your comments will rest assured be passed onto Michael Caines and his team to review.
Should you wish to discuss any part of your experience further please email me on generalmanager@gidleigh.co.uk I will be happy to talk with you.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We enjoyed a beautiful afternoon birthday tea at this award winning hotel/restaurant. We sat in the very comfortable drawing room, with fantastic views over the gardens and river.
The service is impeccable, whilst not over fussy and the quality of the food superb - especially the "home made" scones, jam and cakes.
The only downside was that as we were preparing to leave were made to feel a bit like we had overstayed our welcome - we had been there perhaps an hour and a half or slightly longer.
It was good though and if we'd had more time, we might well have stayed for a two michelin starred dinner.

Damien B, General Manager at Gidleigh Park Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Simon A

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed a birthday afternoon tea with us here at Gidleigh Park.
It is great to read about the service you received and your enjoyment of our scones and cakes, we strive to offer a relaxing but indulgent experience in beautiful surroundings and I am glad you felt we have succeeded.
We do apologise if we gave you the impression you had stayed a little to long, I can assure you that is not the case, we consider afternoon tea to be a long laid out affair and are always happy to see our guests happy and relaxed, we are a hotel so of course we are open all day so it matters not if someone stays a while with us, in-fact you should have stayed for dinner we would have been happy to accommodate you (maybe next time)