“An afternoon event”

Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Chagford
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set majestically on the bubbling upper reaches of the River Teign, Gidleigh Park enjoys an exquisite location on the very edge of Dartmoor National Park. At the heart of the hotel, the elegant and intimate two Michelin-starred restaurant provides a sophisticated backdrop to Executive Chef, Michael Wignall's decadent tasting and à la carte menus. One of the most respected chefs in the UK, Michael Wignall has won Michelin stars in every kitchen he has headed since being awarded his first star in 1993. Michael is famed for his respect for food and an ever evolving style which creates unique dishes full of flavour and underpinned by a contemporary, less formal approach to fine cuisine. Describing his food as ‘modern, technical and meaningful’, each element features to add flavour or texture, enticing diners to experience new combinations and ingredients complemented by vegetables and herbs picked from Gidleigh Park’s own kitchen garden. Matching the high standards in the kitchen, Gidleigh Park’s internationally renowned wine cellar accommodates over 1,300 bins and 13,000 bottles from around the world. Home to a selection of European, New World and Bio Dynamic wines, the cellar offers one of the most impressive wine lists in the British Isles. Join us for lunch, afternoon tea or dinner and enjoy your choice of tasting or à la carte menus, dedicated to the finest seasonal ingredients.
Midlands
“An afternoon event”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I decided to indulge ourselves whilst escaping from our daughter. We opt for the tasting menu and set aside the afternoon in order to fully enjoy the food and the surroundings.

On the taster menu, foie gras appeared, this being almost the only thing, within reason, I do not eat for my own reasons. I realise that chefs all appear to love foie gras, but I risked asking for an alternative. I have to say it was replaced with the most delightful dish of quail.

Every course was excellent in taste and presentation. We took time to enjoy the gardens and the patio etc. Really enjoyed the whole afternoon.

My only slightly negative comment would be that I felt the place lacked some convivial atmosphere it did feel as if you could not raise your voice, a bit museum like.

Bristol
“Incredible”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Quite simply the best meal we've ever had (and we've had a few!).

Firstly, if you're worried about he price - don't be. It is expensive, but rightly so and fully justified.

My wife took me for my thirtieth birthday and it was the nicest present I've ever received. We had the multi-course (nine course?) taster menu, with he wine flight (basically the full shebang!) The local produce was thoughtfully sourced and the dishes imaginative, the service immaculate. Every dish was a pleasure, and I thought the fish dishes particularly were sublime.

Large tables (even for two) and the most professional, discreet service we've ever encountered.

The Master of Wine was incredibly knowledgeable, but not pretentious with just the right amount of information. We spent five hours over lunch and will definitely do this again. The petit fours and post dinner drinks in the lounge made this a quite perfect birthday present.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank DH9382
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Gidleigh Park is in a stunning setting and a great place for special occasions. The staff are extremely professional, friendly and efficient. On the day we visited the food was good but not spectacular. All our main courses were a bit too salty, and not very hot. The presentation was very attractive although it was slightly dated with too much reliance on foam, and nouvelle cuisine portions. A nice touch was that everyone knew it was a birthday lunch for my husband and son even though the reservation was made weeks ago.

1 Thank Carole P
Devon, United Kingdom
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were late for lunch, apologised and said we could book for another time but they wouldn't hear of it and said it wasn't a problem. We choose from the summer menu 2 courses £39 3 courses £49. Wine list was daunting so we sort advice and was not disappointed. Canapes were delicate, a light and foamy bisque and a fois gras terrine with a cherry jelly. Appertiser was chicken tortillini, depth of flavour was amazing. A basket of warm bread rolls was bought to the table. My mackerel starter with stuffed pepper was fresh and flavoursome, my lamb cooked to perfection but the best was saved to last. Couldn't decide on dessert so we shared a coconut panna cotta with mango sorbet and the caramel and cardamon .....they were both exquisite both in presentation and flavours. The maitre'd was a delight, and answered all our questions, she said it was a pleasure watching us enjoying the food. We took coffee on the terrace and was pleasantly surprised to see Michael Caines, he was chatting to friends but as he passed he smiled and said hello, so that just about made it perfect. A beer, large V & T, 2 glasses of pinot noir, 3 courses (+ canapes & appertisers) and a couple of coffees, plus impeccable service in awesome surroundings was a bargain at £150.

“Wonderful”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Celebrating our 40th anniversary, we chose the eight course signature lunch menu, which was interesting, tasty, and perfect in every way. The service was attentive but not overpowering. As other reviewers have said, the hotel setting is exceptional and the grounds were lovely for an after- lunch stroll. Allow about three hours for this menu!