“They really know how to make you feel special”

Gidleigh Park Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Chagford
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set majestically on the bubbling upper reaches of the River Teign, Gidleigh Park enjoys an exquisite location on the very edge of Dartmoor National Park. At the heart of the hotel, the elegant and intimate award-winning restaurant provides a sophisticated backdrop to Executive Chef, Chris Simpson's decadent tasting and à la carte menus. Chris focuses his dishes on the best seasonal ingredients combined with a deep-rooted classical cooking style and a modern interpretation. Menus are carefully crafted without pretension, and his food is defined by the absolute freshness & seasonality of ingredients alongside true clarity of flavour. Chris enjoys experimenting with ingredients, exploring how to bring out the best in them and building flavour combinations and one ingredient can be the inspiration for an entire dish. Matching the high standards in the kitchen, Gidleigh’s internationally renowned wine cellar accommodates over 1,300 bins and 13,000 bottles from around the world.
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wow! What a beautiful place to visit! This was our first trip to Gidleigh. We had heard so much about it over the years and had been given our lunch as a present. We weren't disappointed....From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff looked after us and constantly made sure that we had everything we wanted. We arrived early for lunch and relaxed by the fire in the sitting room and enjoyed reading the papers and several coffees. Our food was delicious and we loved the wines we chose. We left feeling thoroughly spoilt.

We hope to return for many more special occasions with other members of the family. We cannot really comment on the cost of our meal as it was a present but we would certainly pay extra for this experience again. Gidleigh is somewhere to keep for special treats.

1  Thank DevonFarmingFoodie

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had high expectations of our visit to Gidleigh Park, and we were not disappointed. From start to finish, everything was perfect. It's in a pretty location, with winding roads that cannot fit two cars abreast, so it does feel quite remote and special.

The hotel itself is stunning, with wonderful views from the huge bay windows. We had an aperitif before our meal, and could hear the nearby stream burbling away. I think that we were quite lucky that our visit was on a day when the place was not over-crowded: we went for Sunday lunch, and it's probably a different story on a Saturday! So there were guests there, but you also got to feel that you had it a bit to yourself.

Service was very attentive, but not in your face. We had the 8 course Signature menu, and it was delicious. The portions were the right size for us - we have eaten at other places with taster menus and it has become a struggle to finish (which means you don't enjoy the food as much towards the end). But we thoroughly enjoyed everything.

It seems to be a popular place for birthdays - there were at least 3 other people having tea and coffee in the lounge at the end of our meal who were there to celebrate a bithday, too. We can't say we blame them! We would love to go back: deserving of the over-used expression 'awesome'.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

From the sweeping drive through gorgeous grounds to the exquisite entrance, lounge and dining rooms, Gidleigh Park is a wonderful dining experience. The two Michelin-starred kitchen headed by Michael Caines has produced perfection every time I have been there. Expensive but worth it for a special treat. Allow plenty of time, service is swift, very caring and unobtrusive but it's worth allowing a good half hour on arrival for canapes and champagne in the lounge and a relaxing hour there over coffee and petit fours adds to the experience. They even supply wellington boots and umbrellas if you want to walk through the grounds where two streams meet (I know two people who have proposed there) and if you are really to full to move the hotel is first rate.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

See my review of the Three Crowns, Chagford.
On Friday afternoon we went for a walk in the Devon countryside. We arrived at Gidleigh Park hotel to enquirer about lunch on Saturday. They have us warming afternoon tea. We booked and they decided not to bill us for the tea.
We returned for lunch on Saturday to what I can safely day was the best, the very best, lunch I have ever had.
Mind you we choose Plymouth gin as a pre-lunch tipple and had a bottle of Camel Valley Brut with the meal so with that combination life can only be good.
If you can find enough pennies to have a meal here at lest one in your life; DO IT !!!
You will remember the experience long after you forget the price.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our second visit to GP, the first time we enjoyed the 8 course taster menu and I can honestly say it was the best meal I have ever eaten.

We visited again for my birthday recently and thought we would take advantage of the special winter offer (times is hard you know!!), the venue itself is fantastic, set in lush green surroundings with the river Teign babbling through the grounds, the service is equally as good, you are made to feel very special. The only thing that really let GP down was the quite frankly ridiculous prices of the pre and post meal drinks. My mother had a small glass of a rather ordinary Riesling and my Father and I had a G&T.....£14 for the wine and £11 for the G&T EACH......after the meal, which was good but not out of this world, (except the foie gras pate which was sensational!) we had post dinner drinks and Father and I had an Irish whiskey at a further £11.50 a pop.....

Now please don't get me wrong, we were of course expecting to pay a premium due to the prestige nature of our surroundings etc, but that Mr Caines is taking the Michael (like that!!) and leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, as a result I doubt we will return, which saddens me.

In summary.......Outstanding food, service and surroundings but nobody likes to feel they are being ripped off!

3  Thank Malcs83