“Perfection”

Gidleigh Park Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Chagford
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set majestically on the bubbling upper reaches of the River Teign, Gidleigh Park enjoys an exquisite location on the very edge of Dartmoor National Park. At the heart of the hotel, the elegant and intimate two Michelin-starred restaurant provides a sophisticated backdrop to Executive Chef, Michael Wignall's decadent tasting and à la carte menus. One of the most respected chefs in the UK, Michael Wignall has won Michelin stars in every kitchen he has headed since being awarded his first star in 1993. Michael is famed for his respect for food and an ever evolving style which creates unique dishes full of flavour and underpinned by a contemporary, less formal approach to fine cuisine. Describing his food as ‘modern, technical and meaningful’, each element features to add flavour or texture, enticing diners to experience new combinations and ingredients complemented by vegetables and herbs picked from Gidleigh Park’s own kitchen garden. Matching the high standards in the kitchen, Gidleigh Park’s internationally renowned wine cellar accommodates over 1,300 bins and 13,000 bottles from around the world. Home to a selection of European, New World and Bio Dynamic wines, the cellar offers one of the most impressive wine lists in the British Isles. Join us for lunch, afternoon tea or dinner and enjoy your choice of tasting or à la carte menus, dedicated to the finest seasonal ingredients.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

See my review of the Three Crowns, Chagford.
On Friday afternoon we went for a walk in the Devon countryside. We arrived at Gidleigh Park hotel to enquirer about lunch on Saturday. They have us warming afternoon tea. We booked and they decided not to bill us for the tea.
We returned for lunch on Saturday to what I can safely day was the best, the very best, lunch I have ever had.
Mind you we choose Plymouth gin as a pre-lunch tipple and had a bottle of Camel Valley Brut with the meal so with that combination life can only be good.
If you can find enough pennies to have a meal here at lest one in your life; DO IT !!!
You will remember the experience long after you forget the price.

“Great food but watch out for the price of pre and post drinks!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our second visit to GP, the first time we enjoyed the 8 course taster menu and I can honestly say it was the best meal I have ever eaten.

We visited again for my birthday recently and thought we would take advantage of the special winter offer (times is hard you know!!), the venue itself is fantastic, set in lush green surroundings with the river Teign babbling through the grounds, the service is equally as good, you are made to feel very special. The only thing that really let GP down was the quite frankly ridiculous prices of the pre and post meal drinks. My mother had a small glass of a rather ordinary Riesling and my Father and I had a G&T.....£14 for the wine and £11 for the G&T EACH......after the meal, which was good but not out of this world, (except the foie gras pate which was sensational!) we had post dinner drinks and Father and I had an Irish whiskey at a further £11.50 a pop.....

Now please don't get me wrong, we were of course expecting to pay a premium due to the prestige nature of our surroundings etc, but that Mr Caines is taking the Michael (like that!!) and leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, as a result I doubt we will return, which saddens me.

In summary.......Outstanding food, service and surroundings but nobody likes to feel they are being ripped off!

3 Thank Malcs83
Honiton, England, United Kingdom
“Exquisite food beautifully presented.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

A perfect Sunday lunch. Beautiful food exquisitely presented.
Attentive but not intrusive service by knowledgable staff.
Highly recommend for special occasions.

Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“Perfection all the way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am never disappointed at Gidleigh Park. From the food, which will definitely excite your taste buds, to the impeccable service, and on to the amazingly beautiful setting of this hotel/restaurant, this place deserves its place at the top table of British restaurants. Perfection. I will return.

Paignton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic birthday lunch!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had an absolutely delightful lunch today at Gidleigh. Celeriac soup and beetroot mousse for canapes which were seasoned beautifully and really got the taste buds going. We then had amuse bouche ( thinks that's right) of salmon mousse and pickled cucumber which was elegant and simple. I think my favourite course was the wild mushroom risotto with Quail and truffle shavings. The quail was cooked to perfection pink and moist and the little confit leg was super tasty. I really enjoyed this starter. Next for my main course i had cornish pollock which again was cooked beautifully and had a langoustine on top which was super tender and sweet. The dish had a delicate touch to it and everything had been placed with precision. My only niggle was i did not like the potato on the plate it tasted pungent and a little bitter and a bit firm, but the pollack really was amazing. My pudding was chocolate fondant and pistacio ice cream which was very good. Petit-fours were very nice milk jely was my favourite. Creme brulee lovely and a salt caramel fondant which tasted nice. Would of liked something citrus or fruity as all quite sweet but presented nicely. I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch and would like to go for dinner..