Tripadvisor
Chagford
1,455 results
All reviews michael caines tasting menu special occasion wine flight master room a la carte le manoir new chef water garden decanter of madeira the general manager worth every penny eggs benedict wine cellar croquet lawn hole putting course dining experience
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

We had been planning to come for lunch for some time and Gidleigh Park did not let us down.

The gardens are amazing and we had a wonderful walk before lunch, the views are stunning, even in mid winter.

The onto lunch where we had the tasting menu and wine flight. Every course was outstanding, the attention to detail, the flavours, was quite out of the world.

The service was spot on in every regard, the staff are charming, well trained and clearly know what they doing.

Go to Gidleigh Park and soon, I have no doubt later this year they will be get their Michelin stars back.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Gidleigh Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2020

Dear Manny-C,

Thank you very much for your review of your lunch with us and for the wonderful photographs. you certainly chose the right day.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the food so much. Chris and his team are really very talented.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Gidleigh very soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2020

The location of this hotel may put people off, but don't let it. Once you have negotiated the lanes, the hotel spreads out in front of you. This place is great in the summer when you can wander round the gardens, or in the winter with the roaring fires. The bedrooms are lovely as is the food. Service is impeccable. A great find.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
General M, General Manager at Gidleigh Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2020

Dear veronica190802,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. As you know Gidleigh and Dartmoor have so much to offer any time of the year.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

It’s hard to describe Gidleigh Park and not do it a disservice.

It didn’t feel like a hotel.

It felt like home.

So relaxing, the staff were friendly, attentive and unpretentious.

Dinner was divine and worth every penny.

A truly special experience, which, we look forward to returning to in the warmer months to fully explore the beauty of the grounds.

My only advice would be, don’t follow your sat-nav! The roads are very narrow and winding! Gidleigh Park do warn you of this and provide directions (which I had to ignore to keep it as a surprise for my Wife’s birthday)!

Good fun though!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Gidleigh Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Dear MShiel,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of your stay with us. You are very kind to say such nice things about the property and the team. We do try to have a degree of relaxed formality here. We want to give great service to go alongside the wonderful food but more importantly we want our guests to relax, enjoy themselves and take in the wonderful surrounding of Dartmoor.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on the “ wine lovers “ 2 night stay . This included a 7/8 course tasting menu with matched wines on one night and an A La Carte dinner on the second .
The hotel room was fantastic , a big bedroom overlooking the grounds at the front , a big sitting area and plenty of room . The only slight fault for me was that the bathroom wasn’t the standard of the rest of the room . Shower over the bath with a plastic shower curtain , wasn’t 5* . That’s about all I can fault !!
The food on both occasions was divine , from the flames mackerel start to the taster menu , through a prawn , quail and beef dish , the tastes were amazing , the four of us dining couldn’t find a fault with any of it . The aged Gouda cheese that had been aerated was so different , but wasn’t heavy and was something none of us had seen before . The deserts were beautiful but not filling , it’s difficult to put in words how good the food was. The A La Carte menu was a little limited perhaps , but we all had the Calamari starter , and the Turbot as a main . The calamari dish was as good as any I’ve had anywhere , as good as the one I had in a 3* restaurant recently . The Turbot was cooked perfectly and the flavours were stunning .
Finally the service throughout was of the highest standard , very professional but friendly , both the restaurant and hotel staff . We had a tour of the wine cellar with a wine tasting , the gentleman who showed us around was brilliant , knowledgeable with a good sense of humour . The serving staff were also excellent
It’s not cheap to do the package, but with the rooms and the food it’s great value , although I did think that the A La Carte menu cost was extremely expensive if you were having that only
Breakfast was also delicious , cooked freshly with the usual buffet essentials . The haddock I had for breakfast was cooked as perfectly as the fish on the main course in the night .

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear mog120,

Thank you very much for such lovely review. I hope you have managed to recover from the walk on Saturday.

Alex, who did your wine tasting, is one of the many stars here. He is very charming and as you say he has a great sense of humour.

Thank you also for noticing breakfast. A very important meal and our last chance to impress our guests. I am glad we managed to do that.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Gidleigh very soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

We stayed at Gidleigh for 4 nights over Christmas and, from start to finish, it was perfect... everything we had hoped for. The hotel, our bedroom and the food were all excellent and what really elevated our experience to being so wonderful were the staff. They worked tirelessly and brilliantly to ensure that everyone had a truly memorable Christmas. They even arranged blue sky, frost and winter sunshine for Christmas Day... amazing!
Thanks to Simon and all the team. It was our first Gidleigh Christmas and it certainly won't be our last.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Gidleigh Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Dear CheshireCouple48,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your Christmas stay with us.

I am very lucky to have such a wonderful team who do work tirelessly to make sure our guests have a very enjoyable stay with us.

The weather?.....We try our best.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Gidleigh in the near future.