“Absolutely first class”
Review of Gidleigh Park

Gidleigh Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have now had 2 long weekends at Gidleigh and this wonderful hotel and restaurant does not disappoint. Superb food, courteous staff, comfortable furnishings and glorious surroundings. For us, the complete package - our favourite bolt hole when we decide to treat ourselves. Long may it continue!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This really is the top of the class for ambience, good food, and great staff. Four of us stayed over two nights to experience both the signature menu with wine flight and the regular - if I dare call it that - a la carte. Exquisite, amazing, and unforgettable. Sorry if the superlatives keep stacking up but this is a hotel and restaurant at peak performance beating even Le Manoir (sorry Raymond) for its outstanding delivery on every front.

Room Tip: Even the less expensive rooms are excellent ...spend the difference on the signature menu and accomp...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Gildeigh Park sits in the same category as hotels such as Le Manoir. I took my wife for a weekend for her birthday and, whilst it was indulgent and expensive, it was worth every penny. It feels a lot more "boutiquey" than Le Manoir ( which is probably the best hotel I have ever enjoyed) and it it sink quirky but charming. The food courtesy of Michael Caines is exceptional (the restaurant does have two Michelin stars so that's kind of expected). The staff are very friendly, helpful and welcoming in a way that leaves you with the impression that they really enjoy what they do. The hotel common areas are relaxed and comfortable, sitting playing scrabble with a cup of tea in the lounge after a long walk was a pleasure. The rooms themselves are outstanding with superb facilities. The house is set in wonderful grounds so if you don't fancying a fell trek it's just as pleasant to wander round the formal and informal gardens. All in all it's hard to find anything to criticise.....and that's the point. Yes this is an experience destination rather than a regular haunt, but I would definItely return.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrC1973
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is our third visit to Gidleigh Park and it certainly won't be our last.
My wife and I stayed for one night with Otis (our intrepid red Poodle) and from the moment we walk into the reception we knew we were back in hotel heaven.
By the way you are greeted, you know that they have completely mastered the art of service with style, without subservience and totally without arrogance. With an operation as good as this it would be easy to get complacent. Happily, that word doesn't enter the "Gidleigh Park" vocabulary.
Our room was great and a suitable supply of doggy supplies were laid on for Otis (he awards Gidleigh his maximum 4 paw review - more cherished that 3 Michelin stars - he loves their staff and the fabulous walks).
Dinner was simply sublime. My wife and I went for 3 courses with wines chosen by our sommelier and it was truly a gourmet's delight. I opted for the Pigeon and quail egg starter followed by the sea bass. Both were truly amazing. My wife went with the scallops followed by the lamb and was equally pleased.
We walked it off the next day with a three hour hike across the moors, payed the exorbitant bill, and headed home more than a little happy. A great time was had by all and we'll definitely back. Otis thinks we should go every month but he's not paying!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I booked the gourmet weekend for our tenth wedding anniversary. We booked the spa suite which had it's own sauna and steam room in the bathroom and fantastic views from both bedroom and bathroom balcony.
Food was exquisite, but worth booking an early time slot for dinner as many courses to work your way through.
Service was excellent. Even had a tour of the kitchen. Didn't get to see Michael himself, but intend on going back one day. Just need to save for a few more years.

Room Tip: Spa suite is a lot of money, but well worth saving for. Especially for a special occasion.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have always given a meal here for presents and with suddenly a day off with my husband and no other commitments we booked live on the internet Saturday for Sunday lunch. It did mean us having to eat early but that got me out of cooking Sunday breakfast.
Our children warned us you think you may be lost but weren't and a friendly sign saying only half a mile to go was very welcome.
The welcome was friendly and the service excellent. I enjoy fine dining and this rates the up there with the best I could not fault any dish we had. My favourites were the quails egg starter and the tomato and cranberry bread. I did ask to buy some to take home but they don't sell it.
The wine I chose was good not excellent Gigondas 2006. I would say it was starting to loose some flavour and the colour was changing it was starting to go bricky my advice would be to sell through quickly.
If our bank balance can sustain it I would like to eat there every other month. Thank you for a lovely day off.

2  Thank dawncarol
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Even in the pouring rain your approach to Gidleigh Park cannot fail to impress. Located in the middle of nowhere and approached via very narrow lanes the buildings and grounds are stunning. Having parked we approached the front door to have it magically opened for us and were welcomed inside and relieved of wet coats and umbrellas. Seated in a lounge on sumptuous sofas and chairs by large bay windows the views continued to impress. As a family group of 5 adults we ordered 5 full afternoon teas but were advised that 4 would probably suffice. Those of us unsure what to order from the wide selection of (liquid) teas were given lots help choosing. The service was friendly andimpeccable throughout, enough service to feel we were being treated well but with discretion. When the food arrived the quality was simply superb. Delicious fresh cut sandwiches, selection of beautiful cakes, the most delicate fruit tarts, freshly baked scones, home made biscuits and (here I'm an expert) the most golden clotted cream I've ever eaten. The advice regarding portion size was correct and in fact we had a good selection of cakes left over which were beautifully boxed for us to take home. I know Gidleigh's restaurant doesn't get it's two Michelin stars for its afternoon tea but this was easily up to standard. At £30 per head (In this instance 5 people fed for £120) in the most beautiful surroundings and with impeccable service this is really very good value for money.
In case I haven't banged on enough about how good the service was as we left in still pouring rain two soaked staff members were seen changing a clients punctured car wheel!

Room Tip: We were not resident so cannot comment. However whilst chatting with residents during our visit we...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
Bovey Castle Hotel
#9 of 86 in Torquay
Lympstone Manor
Lympstone Manor
#1 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to Gidleigh Park? Share your experiences!