“In Search of Excellence - Look No Further!”
Review of Gidleigh Park

Gidleigh Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is our third visit to Gidleigh Park and it certainly won't be our last.
My wife and I stayed for one night with Otis (our intrepid red Poodle) and from the moment we walk into the reception we knew we were back in hotel heaven.
By the way you are greeted, you know that they have completely mastered the art of service with style, without subservience and totally without arrogance. With an operation as good as this it would be easy to get complacent. Happily, that word doesn't enter the "Gidleigh Park" vocabulary.
Our room was great and a suitable supply of doggy supplies were laid on for Otis (he awards Gidleigh his maximum 4 paw review - more cherished that 3 Michelin stars - he loves their staff and the fabulous walks).
Dinner was simply sublime. My wife and I went for 3 courses with wines chosen by our sommelier and it was truly a gourmet's delight. I opted for the Pigeon and quail egg starter followed by the sea bass. Both were truly amazing. My wife went with the scallops followed by the lamb and was equally pleased.
We walked it off the next day with a three hour hike across the moors, payed the exorbitant bill, and headed home more than a little happy. A great time was had by all and we'll definitely back. Otis thinks we should go every month but he's not paying!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I booked the gourmet weekend for our tenth wedding anniversary. We booked the spa suite which had it's own sauna and steam room in the bathroom and fantastic views from both bedroom and bathroom balcony.
Food was exquisite, but worth booking an early time slot for dinner as many courses to work your way through.
Service was excellent. Even had a tour of the kitchen. Didn't get to see Michael himself, but intend on going back one day. Just need to save for a few more years.

Room Tip: Spa suite is a lot of money, but well worth saving for. Especially for a special occasion.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have always given a meal here for presents and with suddenly a day off with my husband and no other commitments we booked live on the internet Saturday for Sunday lunch. It did mean us having to eat early but that got me out of cooking Sunday breakfast.
Our children warned us you think you may be lost but weren't and a friendly sign saying only half a mile to go was very welcome.
The welcome was friendly and the service excellent. I enjoy fine dining and this rates the up there with the best I could not fault any dish we had. My favourites were the quails egg starter and the tomato and cranberry bread. I did ask to buy some to take home but they don't sell it.
The wine I chose was good not excellent Gigondas 2006. I would say it was starting to loose some flavour and the colour was changing it was starting to go bricky my advice would be to sell through quickly.
If our bank balance can sustain it I would like to eat there every other month. Thank you for a lovely day off.

2  Thank dawncarol
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Even in the pouring rain your approach to Gidleigh Park cannot fail to impress. Located in the middle of nowhere and approached via very narrow lanes the buildings and grounds are stunning. Having parked we approached the front door to have it magically opened for us and were welcomed inside and relieved of wet coats and umbrellas. Seated in a lounge on sumptuous sofas and chairs by large bay windows the views continued to impress. As a family group of 5 adults we ordered 5 full afternoon teas but were advised that 4 would probably suffice. Those of us unsure what to order from the wide selection of (liquid) teas were given lots help choosing. The service was friendly andimpeccable throughout, enough service to feel we were being treated well but with discretion. When the food arrived the quality was simply superb. Delicious fresh cut sandwiches, selection of beautiful cakes, the most delicate fruit tarts, freshly baked scones, home made biscuits and (here I'm an expert) the most golden clotted cream I've ever eaten. The advice regarding portion size was correct and in fact we had a good selection of cakes left over which were beautifully boxed for us to take home. I know Gidleigh's restaurant doesn't get it's two Michelin stars for its afternoon tea but this was easily up to standard. At £30 per head (In this instance 5 people fed for £120) in the most beautiful surroundings and with impeccable service this is really very good value for money.
In case I haven't banged on enough about how good the service was as we left in still pouring rain two soaked staff members were seen changing a clients punctured car wheel!

Room Tip: We were not resident so cannot comment. However whilst chatting with residents during our visit we...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a very, very special place - better than Le Manoir which is great praise indeed. We only stayed for one night, which made the place all that more special; we can see this being an annual treat for us.

The location is majestic, the staff are extremely attentive and the rooms are wonderful. We particularly liked the pantry with the home made, biscuits for a midnight snack!

The star attraction is the dining experience - the dining room is spacious and the food was probably the best we have had in the UK (we regularly dine out in good London restaurants)...

Room Tip: Front of the hotel / view rooms are the best.
1  Thank HuwHoliday
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Unfortunately we only stayed one night but it was a lovely experience. The staff were so friendly and the room was really nice with beautiful views. We had a walk around the grounds and it is so peaceful. We had the tasting menu with wines to match in the evening. The food was incredible but what really made it special was the head sommelier, Edouard, who took the time to tell us all about the wine

Lovely breakfast in the morning - we were very sorry to leave and hope to be able to return

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 171charlie
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent two nights here - our first time but hopefully not out our last! The accommodation, ambiance, service and, above all, the food are fantastic. The only slight drawback is the extremely narrow, winding access road but once you are there it is very worth the adventure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DKA64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
Bovey Castle Hotel
#9 of 86 in Torquay
Lympstone Manor
Lympstone Manor
#1 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to Gidleigh Park? Share your experiences!