“The winter experience in the Garden of Stone Lane Farm”
Review of Stone Lane Gardens

Stone Lane Gardens
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Chagford
More attraction details
Owner description: An enchanting 5-acre woodland garden on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park in Devon, famous for National Collections of Birch trees and Alder trees and the annual ‘Mythic Garden’ sculpture exhibition. Winner of the Gardener’s World magazine ‘Gardens to Visit SW’ award 2010.
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The winter experience in the Garden of Stone Lane Farm”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Hi, myself and my family two grandkids Tallulah, Leon and my daughter, visited the Farm garden over the New Year weekend, never been there before, the weather as awful, but we were determined to get the kids out in the fresh air and to get some cultural interest, but when we got there with the strong winds and rain, thought we had definitely made a big mistake obviously we were the only people that were mad enough to venture out to the middle of nowhere to visit a garden and its sculptures, but what a surprise it was so interesting actually visiting in the winter, made the experience different, the bareness of the trees made the shapes and the bark colour really stand out, different colours the trees had shed some of its paper thin, beautiful coloured bark that we could collect pieces of different peices that had been blown down from the winds and the place in general had a much more magical quality and the grandkids loved it it also inspired me to do a magical secret garden painting that I am displaying at the TAAG Art Gallery, Teignmouth will download a pic of the painting Thanks so much for giving us the pleasure of your garden we will be back in Spring to see how different everything will be then, Yours sincerely , Ms E Slatter x

Visited January 2014
1 Thank EILEEN S
551641Paul_B, Manager at Stone Lane Gardens, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I am really pleased that visitors can still appreciate the garden in these damp, muddy winter months. I have to admit that the garden never looks its best when there is too much rain and mud around. This has been such a wet couple of months and it is fortunate that birch and alder tolerate these conditions so well. Always good when someone can still appreciate the finer qualities of the garden, even when its lashing down and looking decidely bleak.
Well done for having the courage of your convictions and actually getting out in this awful weather!
Paul Bartlett, Garden Manager

Lifton, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A tranquil, magical place when you are on your own”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a lovely place to visit with a magical quality to it. My recommendation is to visit when it is free of too many visitors. You do need solice and silence to take full advantage of the woodland.

Our 9 year old was somewhat bored although he did enjoy the trip after his sausage sandwich in Chagford. He wasn't that impressed with the sculpture and I have to say on the whole it was okay.

I would certainly recommend a trip to Stone Lane Gardens but take it steady driving around the very narrow lanes. Fair weather is a must although it would be really mystical in the mist. I think it best to regard the sculpture as incidental and enjoy the overall experience of the woodland.

Plenty of parking and a nice picnic area. There are toilets in the old farmyard area.

Price wise there is an honesty box. We did pay the requested fee and I think it important to do this so the gardens can be maintained.

Visited August 2013
“Nice little walk”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent an hour looking round the gardens and the exhibition. Very good. Worth a look on your way to or from the hotel.

Visited September 2013
devon uk
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Magical”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The lane is very narrow and we are used to Devon Lanes but its well worth it. We were lucky to visit on a lovely sunny afternoon. The garden itself is more a wilderness of birch trees and water loving plants. We enjoyed discovering all the sculptures. Not recommended if you have mobility problems although there are plenty of benches where you can sit and enjoy the atmosphere

Visited August 2013
Holsworthy, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A magical place”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have visited the gardens on a number of occasions and never been disappointed. Each season brings its own wonder to this magical place. The sculptures during the summer and spring months add to the mysterious and intriguing joy of the woodland. I am looking forward to revisiting again this year.

Visited September 2012