“Pleasant lunchtime stop”

Mill End Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Chagford
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A wonderful historic country retreat in the wilds of Dartmoor National Park, Mill End Restaurant is set within the boutique hotel of the same name. Dating back to the 15th century, Mill End is a beautifully preserved and sympathetically modernised building, at one time home to Sir Frank Whittle, inventor of the jet engine. The classic-modern d��cor of the restaurant itself provides a light dining space during the day, become more intimate in the evening as the sun goes down and subdued lighting takes over. The shimmering silverware and polished glasses on pressed white tablecloths make the restaurant seem upmarket and romantic, as does ��� of course ��� the superb menu. Wayne Pearson oversees the kitchen here at Mill End, working with his team to prepare and serve freshly prepared high end cuisine making excellent use of the abundant local produce including fish from the Devon coast, locally grown vegetables and beef and game from the surrounding countryside. From relaxed breakfasts to hearty lunches, indulgent afternoon teas and refined dinners Mill End offers a stunning dining experience.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had the 3 course set lunch. Limited choice so you know it is actually cooked on premises. Slightly problematic though if out of the 3 choices of starters only 2 are actually available. What we had was nice. Out of the main courses, the skate wing was superb - plenty of fish and very well filleted. Puds were nicely presented. Friendly waiters

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I were walking on North Dartmoor, staying in pubs. We wanted a bit of luxury and some good food after a day on the hills and Mill End delivered the goods! We booked a table for Saturday night and loved it so much we booked for the Sunday too, so we could try some of the other courses. The service was 'spot on' with attentive, considerate waiters and waitresses delivering drinks to the lounge where you can decide on your food while sunk into huge, comfortable armchairs.
The menu isn't enormous but there are some good vegetarian options and lots of excellent,local meat and fish dishes. The presentation of the food was precise and attractive and the tastes were all great with the wine menu quite interesting and reasonably priced too. If you're travelling in Devon near Mortonhampstead on north east Dartmoor, definitely consider stopping off for a meal at Mill End, or even staying for a night or two; it is a hotel. We found the food to be at "fine dining" levels with the prices not much higher than a 'gastro-pub'.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I came here with my wife for my birthday and looked forward to receiving a high qualty dining experience. Things started well with a nice welcome and an impressive and comfortable reception lounge where we were given drinks and picked from the menu. There was a reasonable selection and we both found things that looked nice.

The waiter was a little casual bordering on disrespectful but that was ok. The first course was served after a 30 minute wait due to the chef cooking the wrong order for me. It was clear that while he re-cooked my starter, my wife's was kept warm in the oven (the plate was scalding). My chickens liver was well presented but nothing special where as my wifes was dried and past its best. When the waiter was passing into the kitchen carrying plates, he kicked the swinging door open with a loud thud which we thought was rather uncouth.
My main course (lamb) was well cooked but with only a small amount of sauce and a small plate of vegatables including brussel sprouts. This was the last thing we wanted just before Christmas!
The dessert was sickly with over sweetness and I had to leave it. The petit fours were also sickly and quite frankly VILE. We left them too.

Sitting back in the lounge drinking coffee we had trouble finding the waitress to order more coffee and decided to get the bill and leave in stead. It took her 30 minutes to come and get our credit card and only after I had once again made a search of the restaurant to find her doing something on he PC. There were ony two people in the restaurant that night and I think that I can see why.

So overall for £130 for two including two G&Ts and one glass of wine this was not the kind of dining experience that we were expecting but I have to also say that it still cost less that half of what we recently paid at the Gidleigh Park Hotel where we came home hungry.

There has got to be better than this available somewhere in Devon?

Reviewed November 5, 2012

A well run Hotel with good rooms and views, ideal for some good walks or a visit to Castle Drogo. The restaurant offers fine dining in a perfect atmosphere. They do special weekend breaks wich combine accomodation and meals, these are fine affairs. Afternoon tea, Canapes bfore dinner and an excellent meal. Finish your evening with drinks in the Lounge.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Limited menu that changes monthly - but this is good as they are focussed on exemplary quality from local produce. the duck roulade with homemade picalilly may have been the best balanced starter I have had in years! And the Devon rack of lamb was melt in the mouth.