“Exceeded expectations”
Review of Mill End Hotel

Mill End Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Just our type of hotel - small, historic building, excellent food, friendly and attentive staff - in a delightful location.
The staff were extremely helpful, going to great lengths to help my elderly Mother who is partially sighted by making sure that we had the table with the most light, a lovely light room for her and even getting a comfortable chair for her to relax in. The beds were of an excellent quality, slept like a dream. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and quality ingredients (would have loved more of those wonderful mushrooms at breakfast). A stylish, soothing dining room overlooking the garden on one side and the mill wheel turning mesmerisingly through the window on the other side.
Comfortable lounges (log fire in the sitting room) in which to relax and peruse the menu. Our dog was welcomed and the hotel, very sensibly, had a boot room for leaving muddy boots and plenty of doggy towels. The dog walks were right on the doorstep and could not have been lovelier, following the river with excellent bird sightings and wildlife. Easy walk into the delightful village of Chagford. Would most definitely go there again.

Room Tip: They have ground floor rooms with patios.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank canalbank
MilEndHotel, Manager at Mill End Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

On behalf of the whole team here at Mill End, many thanks for your review and your kind comments. It was a pleasure having you here at Mill End, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Mike Coombes
Managing Director
Mill End Hotel

There are newer reviews for Mill End Hotel

Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed there, my wife, our son, my mother-in-law and myself for several days. We attended a wedding in the area and our stay was blissful. The hotel is charming, beautiful and peaceful. The staff were very attentive, service was excellent and the full English breakfast was delicious. While there my son and I went fly fishing with a guide arranged by the hotel. Before our travels, the hotel staff called me twice in New Orleans to keep me informed of the arrangements with the guide and other local services. We travel extensively around the world and this is a place to which we will return with our children and granddaughter for a family vacation. The area is remote, beautful and the hotel is very welcoming. Edward Shwery, New Orleans, LA, USA

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank shwery
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Mill End is a lovely country hotel in a stunning location. The owners were friendly and helpful and I cannot understand why anybody would find them rude! We had such a peaceful weekend enjoying the walks through bluebells and the excellent food at Mill End! The food really is wonderful here! Great attention paid to detail and flavours. Our room was decorated in neutral shades and modern florals with the most comfortable bed I have slept in for ages!!!! The public rooms were welcoming with glorious views across the lawn and a log fire for the colder nights. This isn't a city hotel with 24 hour service but the arrangments about access at night was made clear to us. I would heartily recommend this place if you love good food and stunning countryside.

Room Tip: some of the rooms overlook the garden.
Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slamlucy
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and had a very memorable stay. So you can imagine my delight when I found out that I had been booked in to the Mill End through my work on business along with 10 other colleagues. We had all been working a very long day and didn't arrive at the Hotel until about 10.15 in the evening. On our arrival a friendly receptionist greeted us. We asked if it was possible to get a drink but he said sorry the owner had told him we could not and the bar was closed. This was not a problem as I had stayed before I knew there was a local pub a few minutes up the road which would still be open. We were shown to our rooms and we then gathered in reception to go out. We asked for our room keys to be told by the receptionist that the owner had told him not to give us our room keys. We could not understand this so he called the owner.

A very aggressive owner arrived moments later telling us that we had caused much inconvenience having arrived at her hotel at 10.15 pm to check in and that her premises was not a youth hostel. She said we were disturbing her 3 other guests and that if they complained she would charge our company for their rooms aswell. All we had done in this time was walk into the front door of the hotel been taken to our rooms and met back in the foyer. How had this caused so much disturbance to her other guests? She then told us she would not open the hotel bar and she would not give us our room keys which meant we would not be able to re-enter the hotel if we went to the local pub. She told us she wanted us all in our rooms and not to leave them. She was talking to 10 professional 25-40 year olds who were merely and politely asking for a drink in a hotel at 10.30 pm and if that was a problem then just a key to be able to lock our rooms with our belongings in to be able to visit the local pub. She then told us that her guests were very special and that we were the type of people that should stay in a TRAVEL LODGE.
We suggested that if we were not given keys to lock our rooms then she would be responsable for any missing items to which she sternly pointed to a sign on the wall which says the hotel holds no responsability for theft loss or damage to customers belongings.

I have travelled the world stayed in many hotels. I too grew up in a family run hotel. Never have I had such a rude, agressive and quite frankly bizaar greeting from the owner of the hotel in all my time.

We realised one of our party had stayed the night before and had a key so we went to the local pub where we were greeted with a very friendly welcome. We discovered from the pub owners that the Mill End has recently changed hands from my previous enjoyable stay and it seems to me that the new owner wants to run a hotel but does actually want to deal with the general public. Shame because she could manage to spoil a very good thing that she odviously has spent alot of money investing in.

I shall never return again unless I'm offered some sort of apology and compensation for my company who spent over £1000 on one night s stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
15  Thank JimmyPClarke
millendhotel, Owner at Mill End Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Our aim is to create a welcoming, warm, peaceful and comfortable environment for all our guests here at Mill End, and we are very sorry that you felt that we let you down on this occasion. We did suggest that you were very welcome to enjoy a drink from our bar, although your preference was to visit a local pub. We will need to review our key procedures based on your feedback, and will also give some thought to how we can better serve customers like yourselves who require a relatively late check-in followed by an early morning check-out. We were happy to make arrangements for your early breakfast, and for your laundry to be attended to in time for your commitments the following day - which hopefully may have demonstrated that we do aim to be flexible to our guests' needs. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Mill End at a future date.
Sue and Peter davies

Reviewed April 19, 2011

After a really long, working Sunday, the last thing you need is to be greeted by the owner of the hotel shouting at you for arriving late (10.30pm) and telling you it is not a youth hostel, neither is it a Travelodge. We were refused our room keys on the basis that we wouldn't need them because we were going straight to bed and staying there. We were also told that if we woke up any of her other 4, elderly guests, that our company would be picking up their bills (on top of the £1480 we were already spending on our stay).

The other members of staff that we encountered were lovely but what a shame that this lovely, homely hotel, set in such beautiful countryside is governed by such a short-sighted businessperson, particularly someone who has recently taken over the hotel.

I have never experienced such unreason in my life so needless to say, I will not be returning.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
14  Thank ifonz
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We spent the 'champagne weekend' before last at Mill End. From start to finish the weekend could not have been better. A warm welcome from the staff and owner. Champagne on the lawn! Wonderful food and excellent service. We will definitely be back!
The atmosphere is perfect for a relaxing weekend!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlosMan
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I recently held a function for 26 guests at Mill End. This required exclusive use of the hotel's facilities (including all of their rooms) for one night. It was shortly after the hotel's refurbishment under new owners and was therefore something of a 'test' of the hotel's capabilities. They met the challenge well. A simple self-service clotted cream tea was provided for guests on arrival, followed later by a champagne 'reception' in the charming lounge and finally a four course dinner. By arrangement there was a choice of two main courses (sea bream or beef wellington) for dinner, although there is a much wider choice in the standard menu. The need to provide dishes for 26 guests, all at the same time, must have been a challenge for the kitchen and as a result some of the fish was slightly over-cooked but this would almost certainly not have happened in different circumstances. All guests were impressed by the presentation and quality of the food and the efficient and friendly service.

The full English breakfast was all that one might expect and their excellent Sunday lunch is very good value.

The public areas of the hotel are very well furnished and impeccably clean, although (at the time) the ground floor toilets were in need of some refurbishment to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. The master suite is of an unusually high standard, large and very comfortable, although the over-bath shower could be improved and a glass bath screen would be more appropriate than a shower curtain. The two junior suites were obviously smaller but of an equally high standard. The other rooms varied significantly in size but all were reasonably well furnished and clean. The smallest room on the ground floor is tight and would be better furnished as a single.

The service throughout was excellent. The new owner and his wife are very much 'hands-on' and the hotel manager is first class. We were well looked after and nothing was too much trouble - even though the last guests did not go to bed until nearly two in the morning.

In summary, Mill End is an excellent small hotel with a very good restaurant. It has been significantly improved under the new ownership/management and is highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TheFrogPrince
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 2 in Moretonhampstead
Horn of Plenty
Horn of Plenty
#1 of 1 in Gulworthy

Been to Mill End Hotel? Share your experiences!