“Delightful little cottage”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Sam135246
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Delightful little cottage”
Reviewed March 30, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

We spent a lovely week staying in this cottage with our 20 month old son. It was clean, tidy and there was even bread, milk, jam and cheese waiting for us on our arrival. The cottage is in the middle of town but tucked away from down a quirky narrow lane so you have the convenience of the shops whilst being away from the main street. There is a car parking space provided but the access is narrow, we managed it in our Ford Focus but anything bigger might be more of a challenge, especially if you value your bumpers! Don't however, let this put you off if you have a bigger car, the lane is wide enough to drop your luggage off outside and there is a permit provided for the town carparks which we also made use of. The South Devon Railway is a short walk away, as is the Otter and Butterfly Centre and Buckfast Abbey is also possible by foot. A great place to base yourself for visiting South Devon and Dartmoor.

treeshenn...
Poole, United Kingdom
“Dream Cottage”
Reviewed March 18, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

I stayed 3 nights at River Garden Cottage. It is ideal for a short break for one person or family of four. The facilities are just right & I would go back again. I have returned twice & it is ideally situated to visit my family & friends.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed February 5, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

I stayed at the cottage for a month whilst at the Ashburton cookery school which is approx. 3 miles away. I was able to cycle occasionally when the weather was good and nearby to A38. I also found good walking areas around the town. Friendly area, local community centre that had a keep fit class and monthly cinema. Dartington is nearby and there is a great cycle / walk route to Totnes. Buckfast abbey is walking distance, free of charge and a nice retreat.
The cottage is situated in the small town of Buckfastleigh and although small, had everything that I needed - chemist, organic food store for lovely bread, fruit and veg and local cooperative supermarket for other groceries.
The cottage itself was nicely decorated, cosy, clean and spacious for 2 people. Comfortable bed and another bedroom with twin beds. Hairdryer. No wardrobes but drawers, hangers and hooks available which worked fine for me. Small open plan kitchen, no washing machine and comfortable lounge area with large log burner. Iron board, iron etc also there which was helpful.
Due to the time of year I didn't visit the garden.
The car park is not for the faint hearted. I have a Nissan Juke so fairly large. Steep angled driveway, more difficult to use when it had been raining so I generally used the car parks nearby and had a permit for these. The car park nearest the cottage was generally full by 5pm but I always got a space at the car park nearest the supermarket whatever time I got back and only a two minute walk back to the cottage.
Overall it was absolutely ideal for what I wanted for the month and more importantly I felt safe being there on my own. Highly recommended

adrian F
Devon
“So welcoming, charmong but modern interior , clean and fab location”
Reviewed January 14, 2017 for a stay in February 2016

Visited my daughter in Buckfastleigh and treated ourselves to this amazing cottage
The garden is tranquil and even in Feb was a pleasant retreat.
Cottage was well equipped , comfy soft beds and lovely wood burner
Right in centre of town and so near to moors , beaches and Exeter for treat shopping!
would recommend to anyone.

HayleyMar...
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Mrs”
Reviewed October 21, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Lovely cottage in the heart of Buckfastleigh. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. On arrival, we were welcomed by fresh bread, jams, butter, milk and cheese. The beds were lovely and comfortable and the log fire a real bonus. The kitchen is well equipped but we weren't too worried as the cottage is within easy walking distance of 3 pubs. We would definitely return for a short break!

Matthew F
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed October 6, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

River Garden Cottage is the perfect place to go for some “time out”. Located in a central position in Buckfastleigh, it’s handy for quick access to the many local shops, but at the same time, really peaceful considering its central location.

It’s just a short drive into Dartmoor from Buckfastleigh, so if you’re keen on walking (as I am), you can soon be in the middle of nowhere for some energetic rambling.

Everything you’d need is contained within the cottage, including a fairly well equipped kitchen if you’re a keen cook. The beds are comfortable, and we managed to get some good nights’ sleep.

A bonus is the garden (which, after all, gives the cottage its name) – it’s less than a minutes walk from the cottage. Great to sit by the gently flowing River Mardle, and, if you’re lucky, there will be many of Buckfastleigh’s duck population nearby for entertainment!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Traveling group: Other
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Stephen E
Chester, United Kingdom
“Good quality cottage in central location.”
Reviewed July 21, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We had been warned by the manager that we could only drop off luggage in front of the cottage and that the allocated parking space was further up the lane and a "bit tight". On arrival we just about squeezed through the archway from the high street to unload but there was no way I was going to get my medium size car up through the narrow alley to the parking space. Fortunately a permit is provided for the town car parks and I managed to find a space in one just a couple of minutes away, an experience which was not repeated when we arrived back on Saturday evening to find all the car parks full and had to park some distance away on the road.
On entering the cottage we were very impressed with the quality of the furnishing and the basket of local groceries. As you would expect from a town cottage, there is not a great deal of space and there are no wardrobes in either bedroom - just a couple of hooks on the wall - so a stay for more than a few days may be a challenge. Likewise the kitchen is only really equipped for breakfast and snacks but this is offset by a reasonable choice of pubs and takeaways in the town (the chinese almost next door is particularly good).
The garden area was further away than we anticipated from the description so, despite the weather being particularly warm, we did not feel inclined to make use of it.
Overall a comfortable and well furnished cottage ideal for a short stay in a village centre within easy striking distance of Dartmoor and the coast.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing