“A great end to our holiday !”

Buckfast Butterfly Farm and Dartmoor Otter Sanctuary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are a small, friendly and very different visit for all the family. Run by a small dedicated team we aim to make your visit educational and fun. You can enjoy and learn about our tropical butterflies in the specially designed habitat of which you become part. You not only see the butterflies but feel the rainforest atmosphere that they enjoy as you see their amazing life cycle unfold.In the Otter Sanctuary there are three species of otter to see, our native British otter, the playful Asian short clawed otters and the large North American river otters who love to show off. Our keeper is on hand to explain all about the otters to visitors, some are here for breeding, some for retirement, some just for fun and some because they are unsuitable to be returned to the wild.Make sure to bring your camera.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very enjoyable place to visit seeing the beautiful butterflies and then being told he otters were about to be fed we were all so very excited. Tim gave us all a good lot of information about the otters and all of their querky personalities. It's nice to see a person who works so hard and shows dedication to these wonderful creatures.
We will definately come back again :)

1  Thank Anna C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"steam railway"
in 99 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Totally fell in love, the place is so enchanting, could and did watch the Otters for hours, very relaxing, loved the Butterflies also. All the staff are so dedicated, helpful and friendly. Well worth the entrance fee. Have been twice, went on the 18th and 20th of July and will go back. Took over 500 photos !!!

1  Thank Bria17
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I came to see the butterflies with little opinion for otters. When we arrived the otter feeding was just starting which I thought would be limited to just one enclosure. We went to every enclosure with one of the keepers who taught us a great deal about the otters and their personality quirks. I thoroughly enjoyed the otters and spent more time in this section than the butterflies! What impressed me was the professional set up which only has about 4 people working there who were so friendly and welcoming. It was particularly convenient that I bought a conjoined train and otters and butterflies ticket. 2 attractions, 1 payment transaction!

2  Thank Ggfgjgdyeig
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My Fiancée and I visited on the 19th July 2013 and cannot understand some of the negative reviews that we've read here. I suspect that the people making these reviews are making them from a mixture of ignorance, failure to read the signs and failure to listen to what they were being told. Both the Butterflies and the Otters were beautiful to see, I particularly liked the hatching corner where you could view the butterflies emerging from their chrysalis's, one even made its first flight on to my partners arm. We arrived at the Otter "sanctuary" (- it is not a zoo) just before feeding time and the Otters were getting ready to be fed, they could be seen clearly underwater through the viewing tank windows and were actually curious enough to make several passes to get a good look at us. The water in the Otter tanks is not crystal clear as some people have complained about as it is supplied by the river and replaced daily. Feeding time was both a fantastic opportunity to witness the Otters feeding behavior and individual characters, as well as being both and educational and informative experience thanks to the commentary supplied by Tim. Yes the food would appear to be smelly to the average McDonalds patron, but that is what wild animals eat... We paid around £16 pounds for an hours entertainment which I believe is very good value for two adults, how much does two adult cinema tickets cost? what good causes do they support - certainly not such a positive non profit endeavour? I would highly recommend a visit to the centre, just don't expect the place to be Alton Towers for wildlife, it is raw as nature intended and made a magical end to our day out.

1  Thank aled l