“A lovely and idyllic place to stay in the heart of Dartmoor”
Review of Mitchelcroft B&B

Mitchelcroft B&B
Ranked #1 of 10 Buckfastleigh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely and idyllic place to stay in the heart of Dartmoor”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed with Michael and Debbie for six weeks while attending a cooking course in Ashburton. Michael and Debbie are such warm and lovely hosts and instantly made me feel very welcome at Mitchelcroft. The B&B is ideally situated near Dartmoor and there are some fantastic walks and activities to enjoy close by. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable with spectacular views across the surrounding countryside. From the moment I arrived I felt very happy at Mitchelcroft and could not have asked for nicer play to stay during my time in Devon. Debbie's breakfasts each morning were totally delicious and both her and Michael know the area inside out so can recommend lots for you to do during your stay to make the most of this beautiful area!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Catherine you were the perfect guest, we enjoyed you staying and missing you at breakfast.x

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had a faultless stay last year, and were made to feel extremely welcome at Mitchelcroft.

Debbie and Michael are the perfect hosts, welcoming us with tea and home baked cake on arrival, and the breakfast in the morning is out of this world. We had our favourite scrambled eggs and smoked salmon which really sets you up for a day out and about. This was after the extensive cerials and fruit buffet and followed by door stop toast and jams.

Our bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. It is a lovely place to return to after a day out walking.

The information within the guide in our room was brilliant, we enjoyed a route from one of the walking books available to borrow and had two very good meals and two of the pubs recommended. One within walking distance of the house and another a short drive out. On Sunday we had one of the best roasts we have ever had at The Seat Trout Inn. This along with the Tradesman's Arms are definitely worth a visit.

We look forward to returning in 2014 for our third visit.... We can't wait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you Amy and hope you come back to see us again.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed here recently for a week whilst on a cookery Course at Ashburton Cookery School. Having stayed at the school accommodation last time, I thought I would try something different.

Debbie and Michael couldn’t do enough for me. When I arrived, I was offered tea an cake – just what I needed after a long drive. I don’t like country lanes, so they were great at putting me at ease. Debbie suggested some walks I could try and even offered to take me out on one. They told me about the local pub and how to get there – offering me a torch to help in the darkness. Unfortunately, as I went in winter, it was dark when I arrived home after my course. Next time I would go in summer and really take in the local environment more.

They were really chatty, asking how my day went etc – and I think this makes it much more personal. Having said that they were no way invasive and so I was more than happy to chat with them.

In terms of the accommodation, the house was a little hard to find first time around, but the instructions given were really helpful so I managed.

The house itself is lovely. Really well presented, lovely small and cosy lounge with fire for guests, great dining room where I sat a few evenings. In the summer months, the view would be something to savour.

The bedroom was lovely too and a really good size. A very comfy bed, a great shower, WIFI and a balcony overlooking Dartmoor.

There is also a small library of books to borrow and a fridge for guests in the dining room– handy if you want to chill a beer for when you get home!

I would usually opt in to stay in hotels rather than B&Bs, but I must admit my experience here has changed my mind-set completely. The price was much better than a hotel and I believe it has more to offer. I had a lovely stay and cannot wait to book and return! I would thoroughly recommend Mitchelcroft!

Room Tip: Don't arrive in the dark - it will be very tricky to find!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you Amy and hope you come back to see us again.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a wonderful stay this weekend in Debbie and Michael's beautiful home. We can't fault anything, from the warm welcome with tea and cake on arrival to the amazing breakfast views to the very comfortable bed. Exceptional bathroom. Lovely guest lounge with a roaring fire which we had all to ourselves. We stayed in the Pond room and hope to return in the summer to enjoy the private balcony area. We will definitely be recommending this place to friends.

Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your review Wendy and all the help and coverage you have given to Mitchelcroft over the last few months. Look forward to seeing you both again in the Autumn.x
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Mitchelcroft is an exceptional B&B. After a long winter cycle ride in the rurality of Dartmoor it was a real treat to experience the warmth of Debbie and Michael's welcome, a steaming pot of tea and homemade cake, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in (in The Garden Room). The house is beautiful, the views from the dining room are first-class and the excellent breakfast was substantial enough to fuel another day of cycling! Michael locked my bike away securely overnight and had it ready for me the next morning, so it's a very cycle-friendly place. I can't wait to return and ride the High Moor Link that goes right past Mitchelcroft's front door.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Debbie and Michael are thoroughly wonderful hosts and with such ease made us feel completely welcome in their beautiful home. Everywhere you look is a feast for the eyes whether indoors or out and the ambiance is homely and comforting. We both felt totally looked after from tea and cake on arrival, an unexpected upgrade, to a log fire waiting for us to cosy up in front of. I cannot thank Debbie and Michael enough for providing such a wonderfully relaxing and hugely enjoyable break for us to recharge our batteries.

Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and sorry it has taken a while to respond.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed for one night but Debbie and Michael made us so welcome (felt like we had been friends for years!), down to tea and scones on arrival in a very comfortable sofa! They even loaned a torch for the dark walk down to the local pub, which is by the way also highly recommended (but don't eat for 24 hours before!) The room was spotless, breakfast excellent and the selection of beverages the best we've ever experienced. We will certainly return, IF they aren't already fully booked! David and Sue.

Stayed November 2013
Walker3467, Owner at Mitchelcroft B&B, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you David and we will look forward to seeing you both again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckfastleigh
Gidleigh Park Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,211 reviews
Kilbury Manor
Kilbury Manor
#2 of 10 in Buckfastleigh

Been to Mitchelcroft B&B? Share your experiences!