“Friendly, welcoming inn”

Ranked #6 of 10 Buckfastleigh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming inn”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a weekend as we were attending a wedding nearby. We were welcomed on arrival, and they had even kept the bar open late for us as we arrived late on. The new owners had taken over only a week previously so the bar had not been changed yet but I believe it has now been tidied up. Even so it was a charming enough country pub. Upstairs our room had a four poster bed and lovely view over the river. We also had our own key for a side door so that we could come in and out as we pleased, arriving late without disturbing our hosts, something that can often put me off staying in guest houses. Breakfast was a hearty affair. Can't complain at all really. Great location, nice clean rooms, friendly staff, good value for money. My only complaint was that you can't buy Buckfast tonic wine at the bar. Though on second thoughts maybe that's a good thing!

Room Tip: Get the room overlooking the river
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Belfast
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed one night at the Abbey Inn whilst on business in the area. As a woman travelling alone I value a warm welcome, friendly but not overpowering service, good value and flavourful food in an environment where I feel comfortable eating on my own, and a nice glass of red wine! I got all of these at the Abbey Inn, plus a pleasant room with a view of the River Dart gurgling past the window. The new owners were anxious for feedback as I was leaving, as they want to make improvements to ensure they provide what the customer is looking for. When I'm next in the area I will definitely stay here again, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the results of their efforts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

New owners trying hard to pick up a rather run-dwon business. They need to encourage good staff to take up positions to support the already good staff from the previous owners. Need to have email communication.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We booked a room and was told, by the new owners, that we could stay as long as we understood that there was some cosmetic work still to be carried out. We didn't mind as we were happy to of found accommodation last minute on a bank holiday (and half term). We were pretty desperate and relieved that they were also dog friendly.

12 hours later...upon waking up this morning we have since been told the room is uninhabitable and that we can no longer stay. I appreciate if this is the case but I would have much preferred they told us the truth the night before. I am now left with trying to sort out accommodation with just a couple of hours spare - had I known the room was unavailable I could have sorted this out last night and any potential rooms at other establishments may now be taken due to the delay in us booking a room.

Any hotel/restaurant should always be honest in that situation as even though i'm sure they thought they were being helpful it's actually just created a much more stressful situation for us.

I wish the new owners luck with this establishment but would recommend they to go on a hospitality course to understand how to deal better with potential negative situations.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mosman, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had six days to spend before attending a family golden wedding near Blanford so we decided on a driving tour of south-western England heading towards Plymouth. On the third day we saw a sign to Buckfastleigh.which is on the south-east edge of Dartmoor. I had recollections of reading about the railway through the town some 50 years ago. We liked the area and decided to spend a night there. We were lucky to drive by the inn as we went to look at the abbey and Ashburton. Fortunately there was a vacancy and after checking on what local attractions were nearby we decided to stay two nights. Everything about the inn was great. There had been heavy rain and the river was flooding past the property. The owners were very pleasant and the service was outstanding. There is a cosy, comfortable bar with additional seating outside overlooking the river. The accommodation was good and the catering was exemplary and we enjoyed all the food we ate. I recommend the inn as a destination in itself as well as a base for exploring the attractions in the area including the heritage railway to Totnes and even a drive to Dartmouth. Of course Dartmoor is just to the north of there if rambling is what you want.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the abbey inn,stayed there 5th April till 9th ,had a fantastic time ,lovely setting along the side of the river ,staff could not do enough to please us ,the food was lovely ,fresh and home cooked ,the home made cheesecake comes highly recommended , the room had everything we needed and more ...coffee,tea,biscuits etc .we can not wait to revisit ,a big thankyou to andy,Hayley and the staff for making our 300 mile drive down to buckfast well worth it x

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dursley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel is well placed for visiting the area, and in a lovely position looking over the river. Our room was clean and well-furnished, but I did find it surprising that there was no hair drier provided. The shower room smelt musty. I was surprised that the owner was working on her laptop in the same room that we had our breakfast, and, later, her daughter was wandering around in her onesies getting a breakfast together. Breakfast was OK, but for £85 a night I would have expected a more interesting selection of jams than the plastic sachets provided, and better bread. The coffee was so weak that we had to send it back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucydog96
abbeyinn_11, Owner at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, We have had hairdryers in every room, which was a total of 9, we now have 3,as they have been taken by people who have stayed with us in the past. If you had asked for an hairdryer we would have placed one in your room straight away. The cost of your room was actually £69.00 per night Not £85. The room prices never go higher that £79.00, even in the high season. I apologies if me being sat at my laptop checking bookings offended you, but my day starts at 6am. My little girl is 6years old and would have come down to get her cereal. She does this often and we have never had a complaint about her. The jams are in plastic portion sizes, so that we can keep control of sell-by- and use -by dates and ensure that every pack opened will be fresh, unlike pots of jam that could be days old. I apologies again that Golden shred marmalade is not to your liking and that Robertsons jam isnt either. Can i just point out also that we are an INN not a hotel, we are a pub with letting rooms. If you can e-mail me back and let me know which room you occupied i will have it checked as we havent had a "musty smell" complaint about any of our showers. Thank you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckfastleigh
The Dartmoor Lodge
#8 of 10 in Buckfastleigh
The Tradesman's Arms
The Tradesman's Arms
#5 of 10 in Buckfastleigh

Been to Abbey Inn? Share your experiences!