“After a disappointing start, it picked up”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Old School Rooms
Ranked #16 of 20 Restaurants in Bovey Tracey
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“After a disappointing start, it picked up”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My partner and I live very close to this hotel, and had past it on many bike rides but had never ventured inside. It looked so quaint from outside that when my family returned from a weekend in nearby The Three Crowns at Chagford, we decided to pop in for the advertised Afternoon Tea. The Edgemoor advertises that walkers are welcome... so we popped in - 8 of us!
Jody on reception stated point blank from the word go that he could only provide us with sandwiches. No cream tea. I was disappointed as I really fancied one to round off a very indulgent weekend. I would have gone elsewhere if it hadn't been for my 7 month old niece needing a feed and nappy change desperately! So we stayed and decided to accept sandwiches.
While my dad and partner were ordering drinks at the bar, my partner explained to the rest of the family that we could only order sandwiches and groans of disappointment we made. Luckily for us an older lady dressed in a suit asked Jody why we were only to order sandwiches and he informed her that it was too busy, they'd run out, or words to that effect.
This lady came over to the table where I was sitting with the rest of my family and asked what it was specifically that we wanted. I said I fancied a scone, but that others would rather a cake, or a sandwich and a selection of all would be lovely, but alas...... The lady, who I am sorry but I can't name, explained that due to their popular Groupon bookings for cream teas/afternoon teas and a large group booking they currently had on, they were now very short of cakes and scones as she had order 100 with the chef and they had virtually run out. She kindly promised to see what she could do to accommodate us.
She went off and came back saying she had some freshly cooked roast beef, a few cheese scones, regular scones, a variety of cakes... would this be ok? I was over the moon and very grateful. I said we'd have enough to feed 8 adults please! And my word, she came through. We were spoilt for choice with an array of tasty cakes and scones, with lovely beef and horseradish sandwiches and chicken salad... there were chocolate brownies, tart au citron and clotted cream tuile baskets! Yum yum! There was also tea and soft drinks, plus 6 pints of cider for the men, all for an average cost of £12 per person!
Over the moon. Thank you to the kind lady for going out of her way to make sure we were satisfied. She really helped turn around our first impressions of the place and I shall definitely go back. Thank you, The Noisy Baby Family of 8!!

1 Thank katyvweston