The Edgemoor Country House Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
Old Coaching House(Newton Abbot)
The Woodforde(Moretonhampstead)
Excellent 5/5
    Great 4.5/5
    The White Hart Hotel(Moretonhampstead)
    • Restaurant
    Bovey Castle Hotel(North Bovey)
    Very Good 4/5
    All reviewsold schoollovely hotelwedding receptioncream teaafternoon teadog friendly hotelwedding venuebeautiful roomgrammar schoolsconesthank you so muchhis teamfood was fantasticgym barbeautiful settingopen firesteak
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visiting relatives and our usual hotel was full. Found this lovely hotel on internet. The staff were really friendly and attentive and the room was full of character. Weather was good so we enjoyed afternoon tea on the terrace. Plenty of parking available.

We ate in the restaurant and are so glad we did. A superb meal. We had just returned form France and the food was as good as anything we had there.

This hotel isnt exactly cheap - but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. This was worth every penny and we will be returning.

Room Tip: They have seperate rooms for travellers with dogs.
    • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just attended my daughter's wedding at the Edgemoor and a more idyllic setting you would be hard pressed to find.
    Lovely old school house that has retained all it's character; beautifully maintained gardens buzzing with bees and butterflies and clean, well appointed rooms. Top this with friendly, attentive staff and you have the perfect venue.
    I can't comment on the food they serve from day to day as this was a wedding reception and we had a barbecue dinner in the garden. If the barbecue was anything to go by I don't think you need to worry too much on the food front. Breakfast was excellent.
    Thank you Edgemoor for helping to make my daughter and new son-in-law's day so special and for being such wonderful hosts.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
    1  Thank horrell624
    Charles R, General Manager at The Edgemoor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Hello

We are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful time here for your Daughters wedding reception. We are pleased to hear that the BBQ went down well and breakfast was enjoyed by all. We are so privileged here to be involved in peoples wedding days on such an important day in peoples lives. We hope to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked this for my husbands 50th, just for a quiet night away. Perfect surroundings on the edge of Dartmoor, easy access to Widecombe in the Moor, where we ate in the evening. The room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was also large but I'm not sure it had been cleaned properly as I could feel a tide mark around the bath :-S Quiet locality and delicious breakfast too :-)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello

Thank you for your review following your stay, I am pleased your stay was enjoyed by you both and were able to celebrate your husbands birthday here with us. I am sorry to hear that you felt the bath was not clean as it could have been, your feedback has been passed to housekeeping. I do hope will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Took my grandmother for afternoon tea.

The staff made us really welcome and went out of their way to facilitated a level access.

The food was top notch and the afternoon was delightful!

Gran was a happy lady!

• Stayed: August 2013
    Charles R, General Manager at The Edgemoor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hello

Thank you for leaving a review following your visit to us. I am pleased to hear that Afternoon tea was enjoyed and Gran had a good afternoon. Hope to see you soon

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have visited the Edgemoor Hotel for many year on our visits to the area (for food, we haven't stayed in the hotel rooms unfortunately), and therefore seen the place as wonderful, then a change of owner which was shocking how awful it became, but NOW...the owners have returned the Edgemoor to its glory.
    I definitely feel the owners have returned the place to the service, and food quality the Edgemoor enjoyed in the past. I can't remember exactly when the new owners took over now, but they really have put a lot of work and effort in to the place. Its a beautiful old country house with a bright welcoming interior.
    The staff are all really warm, friendly, and chatty and its a lovely place to sit and wind down with a few drinks and a meal, particularly in the Gym Bar on a summers evening with door open and looking out in to the beautiful gardens. (Its actually beautiful in the winter too with the fires lit).
    Its also nice having the choice of areas in which to eat, depending if you are looking for more formal or more relaxed. We also liked that you could pick and choose from sections of the menu.
    Its a matter of offering the customer the choice, and few places realise how much customers appreciate being told a simple 'yes we can do that', but here at the Edgemoor they seem to appreciate the fact that you are the customer who is paying money, so if you ask for something they want to be able to simply say yes.
    Our meal was really delicious and well presented (coming from folk who own their own restaurant back home!).
    Service was friendly, relaxed, and professional, table water being brought to the table without having to be asked, extra breads being offered included in the price. Staff and owners are enthusiastic about up and coming events, and their Hotel.
    The Edgemore is a place that should be busy 7 days days a a week.
    I have seen the rooms on a previous visit (in the main house) and they are really lovely. I'm pretty fussy, and if I was coming to stay I would want a room in the Main House, only because if I want to stay in a Country House Hotel I want to stay in the actual original house rather than a newer addition, and I'd always pay a premium to do so.
    We are coming back to Devon around 29th August and we hope to be able to have dinner with you again.
    Alan and David

Room Tip: Only a personal choice, but I think staying in one of the rooms in the main old house offer that proper country house experience. Pay a little extra and treat yourself.
    • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello

Thank you for your kind words following your meals here with us. We are delighted to hear that you feel the hotel has returned to how it should be. We have put much effort in over the past 4 years and it is great to hear when it its noticed by past customers. We hope we will see you next time you are visiting the area