“Family of four for two nights”
Review of The Dartmoor Lodge

and 1 more site!
The Dartmoor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashburton
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We sent two nights as a family of four, the two kids stayed in our room.

Staff is very friendly and helpful and makes you feel welcome. Our room was in the annexe which indeed has a motel feel to it, our room was nice and clean (a very important point). We had noisy neighbours in the middle of the first night, you realise how you can hear a lot of what is happening around.

A very good surprise was the restaurant where we ate the first night, the food is good and fresh. I must mention that the chef went as far as making gluten-free gravy for my wife's dish.

My main criticism is upon checkout, I was not told I would be charged in euros with an a given conversion rate. As it happens I have a better rate through my bank so that was a bit annoying to find out after the fact. Not deal shattering but I would have appreciated more transparency.

Room Tip: If you are a foreigner pay attention at checkout and make sure you understand how it is going to be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Thank you for making my grandsons wedding day so personalised and special. I have been to many weddings over the years but this one was exceptionaly hosted by your lovely hotel and staff.
You could not do enough to make it the perfect day for them. From our arrival with a pre drinks reception in a red carpeted garden with "nibbles" that consisted of delicious canapes etc, as good as a royal garden party, and then onto a wonderfully cooked and presented reception in the dining room. the food was amazing and the room so beautifully presented. A wonderful day was had by all. If you are looking for the perfect venue for a special occasion this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Having recently been house sitting for my partners uncle in the area...we decided to call into Dartmoor Lodge as it was the nearest bar to us. What can I say! Lovely place, friendly staff and excellent drinks and value! Considering this place was a hotel we were expecting more expensive drinks but it was very reasonable. Same price as pubs in the local area. The decor was slightly old fashioned but none the less it was clean.

The staff however are really what makes the place tick. Andy, our bar man had only worked here for a week and he was absolutely delightful! All the staff are a credit to the establishment and I would come here again purely for the service. Something I say rarely about bars...I'm a little critical having worked in the bar industry myself for so long!

Admittedly we haven't experienced here as a hotel but based on the 6 hours and 6 jugs of pimms we had...I cannot rate it highly enough!

High five Andy for us!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently stayed her for my sisters wedding she had her reception here. I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to the owners for their fantastic service the food was amazing and would also like to say a special thank you as they saved the day as the wedding cake that was purchased not through the hotel was raw and the owner and my mum didn't feel they could serve it even tho the cake was not there responsibility they provided a beautiful alternative so the day could continue. The staff and owners work very hard and are extremely helpful and nothing was to much trouble. My sister and husband are very grateful for all you have done for them on their special day so THANK YOU. I would recommend here for anyone wanting to have a special occasion here because you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Dartmoor Lodge for two evenings as this is the venue that my Brother was getting married this weekend. The first night the bride, bridesmaids and mother of the bride stayed - the staff could not do enough for us and the restaurant / hotel was so busy, they still ensured that we had everything that we needed. The first night I stayed in one of the twin rooms- it was very comfortable and had everything that we needed to get ready for the wedding! The double that we stayed in on the wedding night was so spacious and the bed was super comfy! The food was amazing and could tell that produce was all fresh. The staff made all of the wedding guests feel welcome and worked extremely hard to ensure that the while day went to plan. Would definitely stay here again and as live locally, we will make sure that we visit again to enjoy a meal in the restaurant. Beautiful location and ideal for the motorway :)

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was a walk-in booking for one night and not a bad choice. Convenient location for us, very little road noise and we slept well.

I wasn't sure what to think at first as the corridor and the room smelt a little damp and musty, but we didn't notice it after a short while.
That aside, the staff were very friendly and the meals were good. Nice little bar and dining area.

*I would suggest that the corridor to the rooms have a double door leading to the back garden, so early risers (like myself) can sit with a cuppa and enjoy the atmosphere and birdsong*

Enjoyed our stay - thank you :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed with family for one night to break up journey to south west. Family room was quite basic but perfect for what we needed. Spacious with double bed and two singles and an ensuite shower room. Buffet breakfast had all the choice we needed and the service was good. Overall good value and will probably use again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburton
Bovey Castle Hotel
19 mi away
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 4 in Okehampton

Been to The Dartmoor Lodge? Share your experiences!