“Some aspects are very good, others are below average”
Review of The Dartmoor Lodge

The Dartmoor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashburton
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in August 2012.

It was easy to find and is in a good location, just off the highway.

Reception was good and quick, and we were shown to our rooms. My room was upgraded from a single to a double, which was nice.

Unfortunately our rooms where in the annexe building, which was quite dark and outdated. My room had no net curtains, so everybody could easily look in. As the annexe was next to the parking place, this was rather uncomfortable, even if I was on the first floor.
Otherwise my room was quite good: big and not too shabby.

The annexe had a sort of motel feeling: it had a long hallway with rooms on one side. This long hallway, on which my room was last, was quite dark, and a little scary to walk alone at night, even if it was all indoors and no one can get into the annexe without a code.
Also, the heating would turn on at night, while it was quite warm as it was.

Other than that, the hotel is quite good. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Wifi is free, but not available in the annexe. It's not really a problem to sit in the bar though.

The bar has a nice feel, as does the restaurant.
Food and drinks aren't too expensive.
Dinner was great: well prepared and a lot of it!We couldn't eat it all, and we are quite big eaters.

If only the annexe were better, this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Dartmoor Lodge

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went to this hotel for a meal with a group of 20 friends. Considering the numbers the service was excellent as was the food. It was so nice to be served HOT food with this number of people usually it takes so long someone ends up with warm food. We were looked after very well and everyone enjoyed whatever they had ordered. In fact I had garlic mushrooms with Stilton which was the best I have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2013

One of the friendliest hotels we have stayed out. The staff were always helpful and smiling. The cupboard in our room was a bit small and the fact that it had a ironing board and iron didn't help, but that was only a very small niggle.
The food was excellent, and the carvery has to be a must if it is available during your stay. It is important to book your table for dinner because the restaurant is very popular with local people. The food is sourced locally and it really is good.

Room Tip: We had no noise or problems, but if you want to be really sure of a quiet ask for a room away from t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HWoodSolihull
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

My walking group (LDWA) used this hotel for a post getogether after our 100 mile challenge. The meal was excellent well presented. My meal was perfect although other meals came without vegetables if it had it would also had been perfect. The staff did offer to rectify this but members were not sure of extra cost.
Good selection of local ales. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was a little dismayed when I first arrived that this hotel as I had to wait ages at reception and then was greeted in rather an off hand manner by a lady. However, this then proved to be the only down side of my stay.
The room was very pleasant, although the bathroom could have used a little makeover, but everything was spotlessly clean.
The bar/restaurant menu was unfussy and the food very good. What I particularl liked was how friendly all the staff were and, had I been travelling alone, I would have happily sat in the bar without feeling out of place.
Top mark however go to the hotel as I left behind my blackberry charger. Without me asking it appeared in a parcel at my house a few days later. That was a lovely touch.
In summary, after a bit of a frosty start I had a wonderful say. I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HappyStamper1
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great carvery enjoyed by all the family. Good choice of meats & veg. The desserts were average. Service good, but a little overpowering with the waitress stood watching us all the time. Overall a pleasing experience & would go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at Dartmoor Lodge on the 15th and 16th of May. We had a beautiful twin room. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast very good. Evening meals also very good and well presented. Staff very helpful, efficient and friendly. We would love to visit again. Perhaps in the Autumn for the colour. Dog friendly

We would recommend Dartmoor lodge

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburton
Bovey Castle Hotel
Two Bridges Hotel
#1 of 2 in Two Bridges
The Edgemoor Country House Hotel
Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to The Dartmoor Lodge? Share your experiences!