“Highly recommended”

Francolin
Description: New Coffee Cafe In Ashburton - Opened 6 Weeks Ago
Description: New Coffee Cafe In Ashburton - Opened 6 Weeks Ago
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Ignore the review earlier entitled 'disappointing'; there is no way this cafe could be described as such. We regularly come here for lunch to escape from the hubbub of life. The food is excellent, especially the chorizo and chickpea casserole. The fresh, warm bread and butter is fantasic.....
We have always been greeted with smiling friendly faces in this stylish yet cosy cafe. Try for yourself!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Had not read about this cafe but first impressions were encouraging as the wife and I sauntered through this delightful Dartmoor town and when I saw where they sourced their coffee - from three different counties - I was intrigued. Ordering a flat white always seems a leap of faith these days. Too many cafes don't now how to prepare this coffee properly and merely churn out a quasi-latte. Not here. This was the best flat white I had drunk since visiting Down Under where they perfected the art.They clearly know their stuff and the slice of spiced ginger cake was a perfect match. The lunch menu, including some fab soups, looked interesting so we'll be back. A great find and give it a go when in Ashburton.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I don't often get the chance to sample local delights in Ashburton as I am always away working and rarely around during the working week, but have been working from home this week and had the chance to visit Francolin and what a fantastic place!

The owners are lovely, Joe - The barista - know his coffeee and his wife make the most amazing cakes to compliment your perfect coffee.

If you are driving down the A38 make a point of pulling off at Ashburton to sample some of the best coffee I have had in years!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I love this place. This lovely couple are kind, generous, create delicious and varied food with loving attention to detail and passion. Their teas and coffees and exceptional! I cannot recommend this hidden gem enough... only I suppose in writing this, I may not get a table so often. I am prepared to take that risk. Bon Appetit!

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

The coffee may have been worth travelling 30 miles for-we will never know. We thought we would try it out on a Saturday in December. It didn't seem promising when we could not find a website but even so we assumed there would not be a problem on a Saturday when surely everybody would be maximising their retail opportunities with Christmas shoppers. We had a 12 mile round trip. Ashburton was very busy and even at 9.40 am the car park was filling up. The 4 of us walked up to the coffee shop and found it did not open until 10am- there was no menu outside to give us an indication of what was on offer and the blinds were closed. However we decided we could easy wait another 15 minutes. We returned 25 minutes later ready to sample the coffee. The blinds were up and the door unlocked-so we walked in only to be told they were not open yet and we were given no indication of when they would be open. Surely a more customer savvy place would have told us how long it would be before they were ready or at least let us come in to look at the menu. We won't be going back to find out

3  Thank pilgrim51