“Smuggler's Story”

Smugglers and Pirates Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The Smugglers and Pirates Experience is family friendly visitor attraction situated on Brixham's gorgeous harbourside. Let us take you on a journey through 18th Century Brixham where Smuggling was a way of life and pirates ruled the high seas.Can you out run the excise men as they chase Jack and his Smuggling gang, listen to tails of Pirates and there daring deeds, visit the hidden cove and watch out for a ghost or two ...Meet the local friendly reverend who has a fondness for brandy and join in with the search for the gold "Pieces of Eight" hidden away in this wonderful attraction.Fun for all the family and if you have a dog, don't worry they can come to. Afterward all that excitement come and join us for a coffee, lunch or dinner in the Smugglers Retreat Licenced Eatery with wonderful views over the harbour. Open to all whether you have been through our attraction or not, you are most welcome.Gifts for all the family are just waiting for you to buy in our newly refurbished Gift shop and Pirate Emporium. Look out for specials evening events at Smugglers and Pirates Experience and I don't forget if you book your tickets on line you will save money. I
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Ummm what can I say, glad that that they made something of the old amusement arcade, however.... staff very friendly and well thought out, felt a bit odd being just let in to a room waiting for a door to open and then you have a 20-30 minute tour. Was a tad expensive for what you do and a shame that you could hear the next part of the talk whilst listening to the first. however if the price drops a bit worth a look.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

You will spend about 30 minutes walking through this attraction. It requires visitors to listen to the historical story which is somewhat challenging for younger children. There are also some flickery lights during the display which are not mentioned at the entrance. This is something to consider if you have anyone photosensitive in your party. As an adult, I found the talk to be interesting. However for the size of the attraction and the time spent inside it is no way worth £20 for a family ticket. It makes you feel like someone has been smuggling their way through your wallet.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited this place in June and were very pleasantly surprised by the experience, not only by the stories and quality of the exhibit but also the friendliness of the manager and staff. Would recommend this to any one of any age.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We came here on several occasions for coffee and tea and obviously for a tea cake! It is gorgeous. The staff are extremely friendly, especially Adam who we were talking to constantly!

We loved the story! There was just two of us at the time and we were so scared but it was amazing! Not expensive and amazing stories! It is also dog friendly so you can take your dog on an adventure too!! I don't see why people don't like it! It was so interesting and I would love to go back there!

We also loved the shop! Kept on buying things!

I love this place so much! I would happily return! Thankyou for many great morning and lots of tips too!!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is one of just a handful of attractions in Brixham so it's pretty much a given that you'll think about visiting it. Generally, I am fairly sure almost as soon as I leave whether I'd return to most attractions, but this one confuses me. So, in a change from my usual commentary style of reviews, I'm going to list the good and bad points;

Good points
* friendly staff
* prime location
* clean throughout, surprising in an unmanned attraction (unless of course no one else visited it that day...)
* good quality animation and special effects, obviously a lot of money has been spent on this...
* interesting story

Bad points
* expensive - £20 for 4 people (when one is a toddler who isn't going to really get anything from it) is a bit steep.
* might be perceived to be scary (but stick with it, it isn't)
* only lasts about 20-25minutes
* potentially claustrophobic
* struggled to understand the story at times....

It is definitely something different as an attraction, and is unlikely to be imitated locally, however I can't help but feel it lacks a little something to get people in. The staff are pleasant but just being sent in is a bit worrying. I wonder if a costumed character would add something, particularly as although the walk through is self guided, it can be a bit scary? Just a thought.

I'm going to give it 4 stars as the staff outside were nice and friendly, and it was clean and well thought out, even if a bit pricey. Good for escaping the rain!