“Fresh Brixham Fish!”

The Vigilance
Ranked #27 of 105 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brixham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh Brixham Fish!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We all know pretty much what to expect when we visit a Wetherspoons but it would now seem there has been a loosening of the reigns somewhat by giving individual pub managers some autonomy in allowing them to source produce local to their area.
This has been put to very good use by the efforts of manager Billy in the Brixham Vigilance, which has resulted in the appearance on their menu each Friday of locally landed fresh fish delivered on the day from the world famous Brixham fish market.
My partner and I are regulars in the Vigilance and have had the ‘Catch of the Day’ on three occasions now. As the name suggests, the type of fish varies and thus far we have had plaice, hake and haddock and, well, you just cannot beat freshly cooked fish that has been caught that day and each time we had had this meal the fish has been absolutely delicious. Just cannot fault it.
The Vigilance is a well run pub and I can’t leave a comment about it without mentioning the staff. As at all Wetherspoons pubs they have to work hard, non stop sometimes, and, of course, they have to put up with all sorts of problems from all sorts of customers including those annoyingly impatient ones who always want to be served at once (like me) yet I have never known any of the staff at The Vig. (as it is known locally) to be anything but polite and professional. I take my hat off to them, for I’m sure if I ever found myself working behind that bar I would soon be pulling out what bit of hair I have left. They all deserve a very big pay rise!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank phildawn2013

Venice, Italy
“Sustainable and delicious!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I think I may have reviewed The Vigilance in Brixham before, but no matter: this review deals with a specific aspect of their food menu.
Brixham is still a working port with a thriving fish market and one or two very up-market fish restaurants (with prices to match).However, if you want to enjoy locally caught fish, reasonably priced and well-presented, I highly recommend “Friday’s Catch of the Day” at this Weatherspoons pub.
The fish is so fresh that it isn’t even advertised until the day of serving. It changes by the week: last Friday it was haddock, next week it will be something different. We even learn the name and number of the trawler which caught it, in Friday’s case BM 55 Angel Emile: the BM prefix tells you that the boat is registered in Brixham.
So, for £4.99 you get fish, chips, mushy peas and a soft drink. £5.99 upgrades you to a pint. However, the portions are huge: my wife and I ordered one between us, and the very friendly and helpful waitress was happy to bring us an additional plate and cutlery.
When it arrived, the plate was well-presented, but more important it was delicious: crisp, non-greasy batter, delicate, beautifully-cooked fish and fat tasty chips. We enjoyed it so much that we’re going again next week!
So there you are: local, sustainable, reasonably-priced, delicious. What’s not to like. An up-market restaurant next to the fish market has an almost identical meal for twice the price. I know which one I’d choose.

• Visited August 2013
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Nice pub and great food”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Plenty of beers/ciders on offer at very reasonable prices. Also great food and very quick service. The only downside is hat he regulars could make you feel slightly uncomfortable.

Visited July 2013
“The Vigilance”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Made a few visits to The Vigilance whilst staying in Brixham. Can be very busy but food always good and drinks cheaper than anywhere else. Will be going back for sure.

• Visited July 2013
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“One of the very best Wetherspoons we have been to”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in Brixham for a week and visited several times. Whether it was a breakfast, lunch or evening the service was great and the food arrived promptly and was properly cooked. Unlike many other Wetherspoons all across the country, this one had excellent staff who always seemed to be on the ball and quickly cleared tables and served you without long waits even at very busy times. Staff all seemed friendly and there was an excellent choice of real ales. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013